• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
the level that aru showed in the LPBF, he is by far the main favourite to win the 2018. pinot is even more inconsistent than aru and his time trials are not close to the 2016 level

Re:

portugal11 said:
the level that aru showed in the LPBF, he is by far the main favourite to win the 2018. pinot is even more inconsistent than aru and his time trials are not close to the 2016 level

You are overlooking the fact that in two of Aru's last three GT's, he's had a shocking performance in the last mountain.stage.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aru vs Dumoulin part 2, unless Froome is participating after all

My vote is obviously for Dumoulin, he was better in mountains in 2017 than in 2016, and will be better in 2018, no doubts.
It's so bad we will not see his competition with CF in Giro, neither in TdF, and probably never in future.

Re: Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

My vote is obviously for Dumoulin, he was better in mountains in 2017 than in 2016, and will be better in 2018, no doubts.
It's so bad we will not see his competition with CF in Giro, neither in TdF, and probably never in future.

Well hopefully we wont see them competing again, because CF will be banned and forgotten never to win a race again.

Salvarani said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Well hopefully we wont see them competing again, because CF will be banned and forgotten never to win a race again.

Yes, unfortunately you are right. In contrast to i.e. Ulissi not able to face an appropriate ban.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Aru has had plenty of great climbing moments. I think Dumoulin has the edge, but Aru has a very good chance of beating him. I feel like he has a higher level of form than we’ve seen if he can just get everything right in his buildup.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Jspear said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Aru has had plenty of great climbing moments. I think Dumoulin has the edge, but Aru has a very good chance of beating him. I feel like he has a higher level of form than we’ve seen if he can just get everything right in his buildup.
this... aru was ill before the 2016 tour and last year he was scheduled to do il giro but a injury take him out of the race

portugal11 said:
Jspear said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

this... aru was ill before the 2016 tour and last year he was scheduled to do il giro but a injury take him out of the race

Yeah I think you will see a better Aru in 2018.

Giro is the pragmatic choice. There’s a good chance that he goes in as second favorite and the Giro is even more valuable to an Italian rider, in terms of prestige and future earnings, than it is to another rider. You could argue that this might be a one off chance to win a Tour, if there’s no Froome or an undercooked Froome, and so he should go all in for an outside shot. But Aru is too young to think that way. He will feel he has many chances to come.

Jspear said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Past two seasons could not see Aru delivering at 100% because of injuries/illness. I still hope he can be a great name in cycling history. Great climbing legs, attacker and decent descending skills. He just lacks some TT power. I sincerely think that 2018 will be a good year for him. Im just wondering what would be his climbing squad? I rule out Martin. What role is Costa going to have on the team? Then we got Atapuma, Niemiec, Polanc and Ulissi left? That's the part im most affraid of.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Giro is the pragmatic choice. There’s a good chance that he goes in as second favorite and the Giro is even more valuable to an Italian rider, in terms of prestige and future earnings, than it is to another rider. You could argue that this might be a one off chance to win a Tour, if there’s no Froome or an undercooked Froome, and so he should go all in for an outside shot. But Aru is too young to think that way. He will feel he has many chances to come.

He is not that young. He will be 28 next year. Basically at the highest of his cycling maturity and not that many years ahead left at that level.

I expect a very very good Aru in 2018.

Obviously, the Pinot vs. Aru discussion made me wish for Pinot to prevail and finally settle the debate. But first and foremost, I'm a cycling fan. I don't hate anybody, dislike a few, and respect all. As a rider myself, former small-time competitor, I have an idea of what these guys are going through. What I saw today, the pain, the suffering, made me cheer for Fabio Aru. I had visions, flash-backs of my worst struggles on a bike. I felt for him. He dug deep, he put his guts on the road. Respect.

Re:

EroicaStradeBianche said:
In line with UAE's season. Also Ulissi seems really off in this Giro. Aru was always overrated but the 2017 aru was better than that. Well, he considered himself a star and left the team who made him for money, don't feel sorry for him.

I'm thinking maybe the bigger issue is what is up with how off UAE is this year? They are basically having a disastrous season that isn't showing signs of improving.

TRENDING THREADS