• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg
That's the gc after stage 1, Aru finished st as Aleotti, who outplayed him in the sprint for the stage win.
Today the final climb had an easy section before the final km, tomorrow we have the big MTF that should suit Aru more than Aleotti.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Google translate of his post
I would like to say many many things right now but I prefer to enjoy every single emotion of what closes such an important chapter in my life. As the days and time go by, I will have the opportunity to tell all the best and worst moments of my professional sports career. But now the point is another. I thought for a long time about what was the right decision to make, sleepless nights, tears and so on. But if I have to be honest I have learned even more to love the vehicle and the sport that has led me to achieve goals that I never imagined, to fight with the strongest cyclists in the world, travel, learn about new cultures, participate and be a protagonist in the Olympics. , etc… And today, despite being here to communicate this important choice in my life, I can cry out loudly that I love cycling, I love cycling even more, I love training and I have no intention of leaving it in the garage. But like all beginnings there is always an end. Since that distant 5 May 2005 I have been immersed in a dream and traveled at 1000 per hour; I do not regret anything, in fact I would do it all again, and with the experience I have now I would do it even better. The @lavuelta will be my last race as a professional cyclist.
I am very proud of what I have done but being very stubborn I would have liked to do so much more. But one thing is certain: I gave my all, right down to the last drop of sweat and will give it in the next three weeks. Now is the time to enjoy a new chapter in my life, alongside my family. For the thanks there will be time in the next few days but a special thanks goes to those who have allowed me with great sacrifices to become what I am. My mom @ antonellapisano1, my dad @ alessandro.aru and my partner @valentinabugnone who gave me the greatest gift I could wish for, our little Ginevr
Thanks for always being there. I want the best for you all

wow.

and after seemingly getting a decent level going

wow

The decision most likely does not come out of nowhere and something he would have thought about a lot. It probably has not been an easy journey to get here and that is why I can only be happy for him.

In a way it is probably a relief making that decision. We know a lot about how you perform has to do with mental aspects.

Maybe it has just set him free to enjoy and race as good as he can in the remaining races and that is why he is also performing better, but it is something that might be temporary or just a coincidence.

Good for him either way, and hope he can end it with a stage-win or something. That would be nice.

The past few years must have been incredibly frustrating for him, still putting in all the hard work but being reminded every single race that his body isn't what it used to be. An unfortunate way to end what should have been a still-flourishing career, but it just isn't going to happen anymore, very similar to Andy Schleck back then. Completely understand his decision, as painful as it must be for him, and hope he can somehow find one last spark and go out with a stage win this coming Vuelta, and then have a happy life after cycling.

The decision most likely does not come out of nowhere and something he would have thought about a lot. It probably has not been an easy journey to get here and that is why I can only be happy for him.

In a way it is probably a relief making that decision. We know a lot about how you perform has to do with mental aspects.

Maybe it has just set him free to enjoy and race as good as he can in the remaining races and that is why he is also performing better, but it is something that might be temporary or just a coincidence.

Good for him either way, and hope he can end it with a stage-win or something. That would be nice.

I just thought that he was making a push for a new contract, but I guess it is more like wanting to go out an a high (as much as possible) instead

TRENDING THREADS