• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fan-Thread

This is the fan-thread, dedicated to declarations of love and devotion, and also a safe place where you can explain why your favourite riders are the best in the world, the most talented ever, practically unbeatable or just good or likable. Whenever you feel an outburst of positive emotion coming, a normal discussion will not do or admiration is threatening to burst your heart you can turn to this thread and nobody will judge you or declare you are unreasonable and that someone else is better.

I will start with Álvaro Hodeg. Ever since I saw him in the Keisse-in-San Juan-photo where he does not seem to be okay with what's happening I've loved him. He also has an amazing open smile, only almost beaten by Caleb Ewan.

Reactions: Koronin
Which rider are you a fan of?

Besides the obvious. How about I give some love to Imanol Erviti. A great helper in every race he's asked to work for his leaders. In the rare occasion he has opportunity to race for himself he's done alright. He's the only Spaniard to get top 10's in both Flanders and Paris-Roubaix in the same season.

For the obvious....:).... Alejandro Valverde. The most consistent and versatile rider of his generation who has been consistently winning races since he was 9 years old. As a child earned the nickname El Imatido (the Unbeaten) after winning over 50 consecutive races). One of the most prolific winners in the peloton, the only current rider with over 100 wins who isn't a sprinter. Holds many records including most wins in multiple races, most podiums at La Vuelta and the Worlds, most top 10 Grand Tour finishes, and a bunch of records of length of time before first and most recent win or podium.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Will avoid the obvious ones with huge fan bases anyway to highlight some lesser talked about riders.

1. Sylvester Szmyd - Super mountain train driver who frequently set a murderous pace on the big mountain stages for his Liquigas leaders dropping many team captains in the process and burying himself selflessly.

2. Jan Polanc - Talented climber with a nose for the break of the day move in Grand Tours and enough quality to finish it off and win some iconic stages.

3. Jens Voight - Shut up legs! Need I say more?

4. Tyler Hamilton - Yes he was tainted like most of his generation but far more likeable than Lance Armstrong and hard as nails to break his collarbone early in the Tour and still power through to finish 4th on GC.

5. Andrey Amador - Able to ride fearless attacking to gain rather than protect his position and also a big asset as a super domestique.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Will avoid the obvious ones with huge fan bases anyway to highlight some lesser talked about riders.

1. Sylvester Szmyd - Super mountain train driver who frequently set a murderous pace on the big mountain stages for his Liquigas leaders dropping many team captains in the process and burying himself selflessly.
Really loved his Liquigas days - e.g.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ex2DIFXf0g

TRENDING THREADS