• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fausto Masnada Grinta Appreciation Thread

How long have you been waiting for the chance to open this thread? :p
Well since I joined, but the last few weeks I was seriously consider it.

The problem was I wanted to do a full opening post with a career summary, best results, talk about his character, his charisma as a racer and his potential for the next few years. Which would require quite a lot of effort. And I'm somehow an adult so I didnt get round to it because I was doing things. So only now after the race I felt like I had no choice but to start even if it was a simple start.

How is he one of the most exciting riders in the world? I am not rebutting, I am curious to as your rational. He seems kind of bland or meh to me, but what is your point of view? I am ready to be convinced otherwise...

Fausto Masnada palmares:

2010 (junior) :
-8th Trofeo Paganessi

2012 (u23) :
-6th Overall Giro delle valle d'Aosta

2014 (u23) :
-7th Ruta d'Oro

2015 (u23) :
-9th Overall Giro Friuli Venezia
-1st Piccolo Giro di Lombardia

2016 (amateur) :
-1st Giro del Medio Brenta

2017 (Androni) :
-7th Giro dell'Appennino
-2nd Overall Tour du Jura
-3rd Overall Tour of Turkey (WT)

2018 (Androni):
-10th Trofeo Laigueglia
-6th Overall Settimana Coppi e Bartali
-3rd Giro dell'Appennino
-26th Overall in his first Giro d'Italia (WT)
-KOM Tour of Slovenia
-9th Overall Tour of Hungary
-1st Overall Tour of Hainan + 1st stage 8

2019 (Androni):
-3rd Overall Giro di Sicilia + KOM
-5th Overall Tour of the Alpes + 1st stage 3 + 1st stage 5
-2nd Giro dell'Appennino
-1st Stage 6 Giro d'Italia (WT) + 20th overall + 2nd in KOM
-7th Overall Tour of Slovenia
-8th Tokyo 2020 test event
-8th Coppa Agostini

2020 (CCC/Quickstep):
-9th Overall Tour alpes maritime et du Var
-6th Overall Tirreno Adriatico (WT)
-9th Overall Giro d'Italia (WT)

2021 (Quickstep):
-10th overall UAE tour (WT)
-3rd Overall Tour de Romandie (WT)
-DNF Giro d'Italia
-2nd Italian Road Race Championships
-3rd Coppa bernocchi
-8th Milano Torino
-2nd Il Lombardia (WT)

The best is yet to come.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He has done well the past couple of seasons. It's a bad sad that he is reduced to a forum meme, though.
He is not a meme, he showed his strength and full capabilities that I saw since 2018, now everybody knows he can win a giro, his TT is strong, he can descend, he is aggressive and attacking and of course a phenomenal climber

He only was a meme because people didn't see the ability that he showed in glimpses before that I saw.

And I don't claim to be super wise about cycling or a brilliant talent scout, I am usually very wrong about these things. I thought giro fight would be between Landa, Sivako, Yates and Masnada, and that Bilbao would be on the TDF podium.

Last edited:
I thought he was a meme because at least to me he seems to be dumb as bricks and also seems to suffer from a bit of "italianism". He could be next Nibali as he seems to have similar strenghts. I believe some tactics lessons and cold head may help him in potentialy stepping up but then QS is not really renown for tactics nor having a cold head. Sorry for being too harsh on this man, just trying to be honest in the most polite way. Hope he'll give Italy a lot of joy in potential GT/climby monument battles as there's not much happening right now besides maybe Zana and who knows... Tiberi?.

I thought he was a meme because at least to me he seems to be dumb as bricks and also seems to suffer from a bit of "italianism". He could be next Nibali as he seems to have similar strenghts. I believe some tactics lessons and cold head may help him in potentialy stepping up but then QS is not really renown for tactics nor cold head. Sorry for being too harsh on this man, just trying to be honest in the most polite way. Hope he'll give Italy a lot of joy in potential GT/climby monument battles as there's not much happening right now besides maybe Zana and who knows... Tiberi?.
Well I admit even as a Fausto superfan he is not the most intelligent in the peloton. And I usually don't support riders I don't consider that intelligent. But he has every other attribute of a great rider. And he is very passionate about the sport. He is not as savvy as Vincenzo, that's for sure.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought he was a meme because at least to me he seems to be dumb as bricks and also seems to suffer from a bit of "italianism". He could be next Nibali as he seems to have similar strenghts. I believe some tactics lessons and cold head may help him in potentialy stepping up but then QS is not really renown for tactics nor having a cold head. Sorry for being too harsh on this man, just trying to be honest in the most polite way. Hope he'll give Italy a lot of joy in potential GT/climby monument battles as there's not much happening right now besides maybe Zana and who knows... Tiberi?.
Which teams do you consider tactically astute?

And i rate Tiberi, Aleotti etc over Zana.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS