• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favorite Quick Meal

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
hmm well someone mentioned pb and j which gives carbs fats and and some protein so a good choice and salmon and rice are also good but i cant hang with salmon personally. i prefer real food but for a quick meal i do a protein powder with added banana a bit of peanut butter and some honey completes the carb fat protein amalgam.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Before and during a long ride: PBJ sandwich
After a long ride: banana smoothie with recovery powder (not really a meal, but tasty)

PB on toast, 2min noodles, reheat asian takeaway

with a little more time, something like sweet chilli chicken using a jar of Chilli jam, soft pack of hokkien noodles and diced chicken. chicken n jam in the wok followed shortly by the noodles. all done in around 5mins. sometimes packet veggies thrown in before the noodles too.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
tuna and lettuce no carbs in that combo the proteins there good for weight loss but no carbs means no insulin response so not so good for recovery. seems like many like pb and j.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
hey that's right - I AM on a weight loss program. I have followed it so long I forgot that's what I am doing! I have gone from 178 to 157 in about three plus months. I eat a little meat usually fish or chicken some cheese, yogurt and salads. pb&j sounds good...

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
RDV's Carb & Protein load:

Use short noodles like wide ribbon No Yokes, bow tie, shells, or even elbow macaroni will work. While cooking the pasta, fry up a couple strips of bacon (fakeon for the veggies) and dice them for the topping. When the noodles are done, strain them, place back in hot pot, and mix in some large curd cottage cheese so that it just starts to warm up and melt a little, roughly 1 cup of cottage cheese for every serving of pasta. Dish it out and sprinkle the diced bacon (or fakeon) on top.

Only takes about 10 min. Enjoy! You'll have turbo power the next day.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pasta aglio e olio. Takes as long as the pasta needs to cook, 10-12m.

recipe:

1/2 c. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. pasta
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
4 basil leaves, torn
Freshly ground pepper
Grated parmiggiano (only the best ;)

Variation, add hot pepper (dried chile pepper flakes) at when the garlic is almost ready.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
No more people with quick and easy recipes? :confused:

during a ride nothing beats a peanut butter & honey sandwich on whole grain bread, mmmmmmm
Post ride easy meal, boil water throw in some rotini pasta, turn heat down and cover. take your shower, clean up, drain water from pasta then grate some aged cheddar, and parmesan over the pasta. throw in a few chopped up pieces of cauliflower & broccoli and then throw on some canned tuna.
the vegs give a nice texture and retain all the vitamins raw.
You can also substitute a litle left over chicken for the tuna, then throw on some marinara sauce and pop it in the microwave to warm

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Low-fat (1%) cottage cheese & low-sugar jelly on a tortillas

This is very quick and very easy:

To each of two burrito-sized tortillas, I add about a heaping tablespoonful of low-fat (1%) cottage cheese and about a heaping tablespoonful of low-sugar raspberry jelly. I blend the cheese and jelly, roll up the tortillas and eat.

Occasionally, I substitute mustard for the low-sugar jelly.

Irenaeus

A meat pie washed down with a 600ml bottle of coke.:D Nothing beats a hardcore aussie diet!!;)

Thats probably what most aussies call a quick meal but me if i have the time nothing beats a good Spaghetti Bolognese....mmmm you guys are making me hungry right now. But for a quick snack....nothing beats a peanut butter and honey sandwich on white bread.....all those other breads are craphouse.

so far i like all the answers, with pb&b always a winner. maybe just pb on a knife? bala verde's recipe is one i plan to try.
fig bars are good for recovery along with the trusted banana.
couscous is so easy, just pick some kind of sauce/flavor for it, and it very quick.
if you keep organic frozen corn in the freezer and add that to it, even more balance.:cool:

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Some unhealthy mircowave food is what I make myself when im in a hurry. Salmon sounds great though, didn't have any for a while! I should buy some and make toasted sandwhich with the salmon and maybe some fresh tomatoes and salad. Many don't approve of my mix but I like it : D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
so far i like all the answers, with pb&b always a winner. maybe just pb on a knife? bala verde's recipe is one i plan to try.
fig bars are good for recovery along with the trusted banana.
couscous is so easy, just pick some kind of sauce/flavor for it, and it very quick.
if you keep organic frozen corn in the freezer and add that to it, even more balance.:cool:

PB on celery!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
For the past five weeks that I have been off work, I've eaten a peanut butter and honey on fifteen grain bread for my pre-ride snack. Immediately when I get in the house, I eat a giant bowl of corn flakes or rice krispies with sliced up strawberries, banannas, and peaches, covered in milk with too many spoons of sugar on top. Man! The problem is that I've gained weight this summer even though I'm riding enery single day. Not good.

TRENDING THREADS