• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favorite riders?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
So much of the talk about professional riding is cynical and mired in frustration about doping, and yet the professional road racing board is one of the most active here. I don't mean to turn this into a doping thread, but in the spirit of positive thinking (summer's waning: I need something to keep me happy), I thought I'd ask who your favorite riders are? Whatever the reason, whatever the rationale, whose results do you find yourself looking for and who are you quietly or raucously rooting for in the GTs or smaller races?

To start, I've long been fond of two of the more obvious choices: Jens Voigt and Fabian Cancellara. Both show incredible mental fortitude in the saddle and give some of the best interviews.

I persoanlly root for alot of the norwegian and swedish riders. The reason for this isn't really nationalistic but rather stems from the fact that you get to know those riders from when they are juniors and follow their careers through the domestique races and their first steps onto the european scene and thus you tend to stick with following them even as pros.

I've followed both Lövkvist and EBH since they were 16-17 years old for example.

As for other pros there are some riders you come to like a little more for various reasons. Jens Voigt is very likeable of course.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
We've had one of these threads before, but they're always fun ...
- Jens Voigt
- Fabian Cancellara
- Robbie McEwen
- Tom Boonen

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
All the Aussies! :D
Tom Boonen - his victories in the classics are absolutely awe-inspiring... and he seems like a pretty nice bloke.
Andy Schleck - the anti-Lance. Down to earth, funny.
Thomas Voekler - the eternal optimist (?!). Always attacks and is a fun guy to watch.
Jens Voight (of course!) - Same as Voekler.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Schlecks are fun to watch.
Cancellara is difficult to not like. The guy has an infectious personality and rides like a total storm.
Riis is sort of my non-rider favorite.
Dare I say I like all the old Postals? lol

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Dittos on Cancellara, Voight - you have to like the way they ride, never scared to get their noses in the wind.

Gotta say I'm happy to see Vino back in action as well - the guy certainly knows how to animate a race (and yes, perhaps his circulatory system as well) but he's paid for it and I hope he gets back in the mix like old times.

A

Anonymous

hincapie.jpg

I'd really love to see Hincapie win Flanders or Roubaix. And then retire immediately.

A

Anonymous

krebs303 said:
Jacky Durand

The suicide break artist. Also good at being the lantern rouge at the TdF.

Big solo break to win the Ronde... Great choice. I miss those crazy breaks. You know the peleton must have hated that guy. I can just imagine hearing the DS after about 15km of racing..

DS: "uh, boys, we need to set tempo at the front. There's a break up the road."

Tired Gregario: "already... Jesus! Who's up the road??!!"

DS: "Durand. He has 3:10 on you guys."

TG: "I swear I'm gonna hook that guy when we catch him."

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Alberto Contador. Yeah, I know his Pistolero act has really got some people bent out of shape, but he's a hell of a bike rider. From his exciting victory in Paris-Nice, in 2007. Where he constantly assaulted David Rebellin, until he finally broke him on the last day. To his ever developing Time Trial skills. He is the complete cyclist. Dancing on his pedals up the nastiest mountain ascents. And seeming to enjoy it all. He is focused and quiet in his quest for greatness. We saw him step up impressively in 2008, when he made the best out of bad circumstances by turning a shun from the ASO, which disqualified him from defending his Title at the Tour de France, into winning the other two Grand Tours that year. Then, we witnessed his focus at this years Tour de France, in the face of withering adversities, especially from within his own team. Sorry for the pistolero bit, but he's tops in my book. Maybe he'll stop that soon( I sorta hope so):p

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
The eternal Bridesmaid - MR George Hincapie

and the "engine" for dragging everyone along the "flats" in big tours and his Paris Roubaix win - MR Suart Ogrady.:cool:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara-charismatic, fun, strong
Boonen-the northern hard man, good bloke to
Armstrong- the great champion we all love or love to hate, a complex caracter who stirs up emotions everywhere he goes, great riding style, fun to watch
Boasson Hagen- the power engine, good in the classics, sprints, TTs and saw him do a good preformance in some mountains to, great all rounder, hope they don't ruin a talent like him...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My favorite period is Kenny van Hummel!!

I really like Boonen...hard man who has a nice personality.

I find it hard not to like the style of Stijn Devolder in Flanders...makes it look so easy.

I like Lovkvist and EBH...simply for the reports I have heard of them training all winter in the high north!! They have to be tough SOBs!!!

My favorite up and comer..Ben King from Trek-Livestrong. I hope this young man makes it. What a great person, down to earth, very humble, and a good role model for young kids.

There are many more...too many to simply list here!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
for different reasons: vino, a schleck, boonen, t dekker, ll sanchez, voigt, hushovd, cancellara, de kort, flecha and voeckler.

i'm probably forgetting some :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Barracuda said:
The eternal Bridesmaid - MR George Hincapie

and the "engine" for dragging everyone along the "flats" in big tours and his Paris Roubaix win - MR Suart Ogrady.:cool:

Yeah, I forgot about O'Grady - add him to my list as well!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Current Riders:

Chris Horner - love seeing a guy get a second chance and just rip it out of the park!
Lövqvist - what a talent
EBH - wow this kid is going to be something else. Amazing talent...
Pat McCarty - watched him grow up in Dallas, would love to see him back in Europe.
Lance - another one I watched come up through the ranks...wow those Subaru Montgomery kits were awful...
Big George- come on brother win that Classic...

Old School: (that I remember racing)

Greg LeMond - say what you will, but this guy did more for pros getting paid a real wage in the 1980's thatn anyone else. Not to mention how many of us he inspired to race a bike...
Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle - loved watching this guy in Paris Roubaix @ 38 and 39...won a stage at Ronde Nederland at 41!
Andy Hampsten- 1988 Giro...
Magnus Backstedt- gotta love a big man that wins bike races, and his new program in Sweden. Great guy!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I was going to do Current and Past rider lists, now it just looks like I'm copying you. Oh, well, here goes anyhow.

Current:
Spartacus - Tough guy, big motor, great contre la montre, but can win other races too.
George Hincapie - Tough as nails, usually keeps his trap shut and lets his riding do the talking (until this year's tour, that is)

Past:
Greg LeMond - Say what you will about him being the crazy old man of cycling, the guy got me hooked on the sport. One of the last true all around riders.
Charley Mottet - I always hoped he would be the "Great French Hope."
Sean Yates - Like the 2 from my favorite current riders, this dude was one tough customer. He came in second at Gent-Wevelgem. It was in the 30's or 40's (Fahrenheit) and all he wore other than his regular kit was an undershirt, arm warmers and a pair of heavy gloves.

Favorite Names:
Dirk De Wolfe
Gert Steegmans

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Wow,Reading through this thread I've discovered that Nobody likes my man Alberto! Nobody!!
Well, at least nobody goes out of their way to dislike him either.
I get a distinct feeling that he suffered some direct hits on his PR during his battle with LA, at the Tour this year. The little things he DID say, seem to have carried a lot of weight to most cycling enthusiasts. And whether he is the best GT rider in the peloton, or not, most folks don't get behind him at all! Could it be his almost complete avoidance of the English language that puts so much distance between himself and cycling fans?

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Past:

Merckx
Copi
Kelly
Rooks
Roche
Delgado
Argentin
Moser
Fodriest