• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite rider?

I'm a real fan of

• Nibali

• Evenepoel

• Pogacar

• Roglic

• Sagan

• Valverde

• van der Poel

• Bernal

• Pidcock

• none of these riders

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wanted to do a small survey to get some numbers: Who are the favourite riders here at the moment? Percentages?
You can post another name if your favourite isn't on the list and you can also choose more than one name - but don't click any name you like, just those you're really a hardcore fan of, okay?
The poll is supposed to be open ad infinitum, because the numbers should change with the events.

:)

(No, don't worry, this is not a kidnapping list. They will all be fine.)

It feels a bit early to put Pidcock in this list. He's only been road racing for 3 months. Pinot or van Aert would've been a better option imho.

I was going by how well their threads were going, but those might always be driven by a few people - hence this poll in the beginning. But if it turns out there are more hardcore Pinot/ van Aert fans in the comments than expected, you are right.

Reactions: Bonimenier
Voted for Pogacar, Pidcock and Evenepoel.
Always been a massive Quintana fan as his win on Semnoz was the 1st Tour stage I watched. This led to me being drawn to tiny South American climbers such as Carapaz and Chaves.
Of course, I've always supported the Irish riders too, Sam, Dan, Nico and Eddie.

Of all the above maybe Sagan is the only one I can say I'm fan of. I always like Nibali but I'm never really sure if I've ever been a real fan, found myself cheer for his opponnets several times. I also tend to be on Pogacar's side when he's on the pointy end of things against more or less his equals, but not always.
Since the retirement of most of my true favourites, I think the only one that I always invest much emotion other than Sagan is Mohoric.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All time is Greg Lemond, both during and after his career, his story is in my view the best in cycling, maybe in all of sport. Watching his vindication in the past decade has given me a great deal of hope, I'm a cynical person, but I believe in him. Trolling some of the the French lads on his team by eating ice cream in front of them also sounds pretty funny. I also feel the same way about Paul Kimmage, reading about how much he struggled over the mountains in the autobus furthered my respect for cyclists a lot.

I don't really have a favourite nowadays, I just cheer for whoever has the best story, e.g never liked Froome all that much, but would love to see him take a stage or something post-op. The Alarcon redemption arc is also on its way, 2023, watch this space.

In the past years i couldn't really say i had a favourite rider. There were riders and personalities and i liked some more and some less. Some of them persuaded me to have deep respect for them, for whatever reasons involved. In good times and in bad times, from the cycling point of view. This "approach" likely won't change all that much in the future. I don't even know on why i love cycling. Likely due to the fact it was always there, through my whole life and i more or less have found memories of it.

But now i must say in addition to all that i do have a favourite rider:

Primož Roglič.

I am grateful my life lead me to this point and from this point of view now i am complete and my life is fulfilled. Thank you cycling for giving me all that.

Reactions: topt and JosefK
All time is Greg Lemond, both during and after his career, his story is in my view the best in cycling, maybe in all of sport. Watching his vindication in the past decade has given me a great deal of hope, I'm a cynical person, but I believe in him. Trolling some of the the French lads on his team by eating ice cream in front of them also sounds pretty funny. I also feel the same way about Paul Kimmage, reading about how much he struggled over the mountains in the autobus furthered my respect for cyclists a lot.

I don't really have a favourite nowadays, I just cheer for whoever has the best story, e.g never liked Froome all that much, but would love to see him take a stage or something post-op. The Alarcon redemption arc is also on its way, 2023, watch this space.
Yes, the Lemond story is one of the great comebacks in all of sports.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All time: LeMond
Current: Van Aert
Soft spot for: Pinot--beautiful to watch when he's on--Lombardia 2018
Pidcock--his MTB run the past 2 weeks was unbelievable. He ran van der Poel off the course. I used to think he was overhyped. After this spring, I'm on the Pidcock train.
Most Graceful Rider out there of any type: Anna van der Breggen

TRENDING THREADS