• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite stage in a GT

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I'll only go into recent history as it gets too hard too quick.

Definitely not the best stage win of all time, but a good example of what elements are required, had to be stage 5 of this year's Vuelta. The way it seemed it was Moncoutie's stage up till the last moments, the mist, the harsh landscape, and the cat and mouse game amongst the favourites, all gave a sense of the truly epic to Cunego's coming out of the mist to win on Alto de Aitana.

Thor Hushovd Bourge en Bresse Tour de France 2002.

Hushovd was the first rider I had followed from the start of his career. I was possibly even the first person to have a Hushovd website in 2001 before he got a personal website of his own so when he reached a level where he got to ride the Tour it was very exciting and then he also managed to win a stage which was unforgetable.

Contador, on stage 13 in the Vuelta 2008. The day they went up the Alto d'Angliru. I remember watching the eurosport coverage and Harmon was telling us how most were using a compact chainsets on the Angliru and in Contadors case he used a 53-34 with an 11-30 casette (yes that is not a typo, a massive 30 dinner plate) on the back (which is actually possible with SRAM, Harmon explained how). I think it was this day i realised that professional cyclists were actually human and not just doped up beasts trying to win races.

It was also classic racing that day Astana Vs Caisse D'epargne. Conatdor and Leipheimer Vs Valverde and Rodriguez + a cameo from Carlos Sastre and Ezequiel Mosquera. It is just one of those stages you can watch over and over (infact i have many times) just watching the thousands upon thousands of Spanish and Basque fans on the Angliru just part as Alberto Contador and co inch their way up the at times 24% grade was just magical in my eyes. I think from memory they were going like 8-9km/hr just painful at times to watch. Some of the shots they showed were actually head on to the riders and you could just see the gradient of the road and how it just goes up and up and just when you think it don't go up no more, it kicks up again. Crazy day.

Ok that's my favourite.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
1994 Giro, Mortirolo.

A young unknown by the name of Pantani drops everyone on the Mortirolo, then solos for the remaining 70kms to the line with a face on him like he's trying to outrun the hounds of hell, trying to keep his lead, while Berzin and Induráin, the world's best time triallists hammer down the road trying to chase him down.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I can't decide between my signature line, or the Versailles-Paris ITT in '89. Say what you will about his areo devices, LeMond still had to ride his *** off to get that win, and it got him the biggest prize in cycling.

Gavia pass in '88 is up there too. I love reading accounts of that day, the best being from Andy Hampsten himself. To have been able to think strategically on a day when everyone else was thinking about survival is just incredible.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I must go for an aussie with mine but Robbie Mcewen's victory into Cantebury was simply amazing. I did follow cycling before then but it was the first tour i really sat up to watch at 2am in the morning. The way mcewen won that,he had a crash, he and his team worked (for once), he got to the front of the peleton and the way he sprinted around those guys made them look like amateurs. I still love watching that stage on DVD now.

A

Anonymous

Lemond in the final TT in paris.. i didnt like a TT to end, i still dont, its not how the last day should be, but you cant deny the suspense

issoisso said:
1994 Giro, Mortirolo.

A young unknown by the name of Pantani drops everyone on the Mortirolo, then solos for the remaining 70kms to the line with a face on him like he's trying to outrun the hounds of hell, trying to keep his lead, while Berzin and Induráin, the world's best time triallists hammer down the road trying to chase him down.
+1
Also 2005 Giro. Sestrieres. A really GC nail biter, sans tarmac.