• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Alonso buys Euskaltel's license

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
42x16ss said:
A little cockiness is one thing, what Sagan shows is another. If he just dialled it down a touch he'd be amazing for the sport.

Don't worry, there are some up and coming kids who will be giving him a run for his money soon.
Like Cavendish before him, who is about 104830x more likable now he's had a while where things weren't working for him and isn't operating on the same sense of entitlement he had previously.
SKSemtex said:
You know **** about him, his personality, his childhood - he did not have, chasing all those races on 20 years old van.

I am sorry for your childhood and the things that happened to you in school but please grow up.

He is just a kid and things that are happening to him right now (big money, enormous popularity, attention of all those beautiful girls, driving car with Alonso) must be really difficult for him to handle. The fact is he is handling it much better that any of us could handle.

I wish you can read in Slovak and see how excited he was with this Alonso drive. Never mind. Haters gonna always hate.
You're right, I don't know Sagan. So all I have to judge him off is his public persona. And his public persona is of a narcissistic ******, so I judge him off that. As to all the difficulty of handling popularity and success, ah diddums, does he want sympathy?

Then maybe he shouldn't be photographed in public like this:

Not exactly engendering the most sympathy there.
hfer07 said:
Agreed.
nowadays we see these Pro-cyclists lacking real characters with real personalities. Of course there are the "Sponsor Obligations" forcing them to be insipid so their real personalities would never "misrepresent" them, but that's what the world is missing. Sagan might have a flamboyant personality- he's young & perhaps immature- but by no means he should be prevented from expressing himself...
I don't think he should be prevented from expressing himself, but as long as he continues to comport himself like an obnoxious and immature jock, I will continue to think of him like one.
Afrank said:
In negative posts versus positive posts about a rider, while a major reason is people don't like seeing their favorite riders insulted. I think another part of the reason is that lots of negative posts about a rider creates a negative tone or feel in the thread.
Funny that my handful of insults on Prince Charming create this kind of reaction, but who's stepping in to tell those hating on Wiggins or Valverde to back down? Where are the posts chastising those who insult those guys apropos of nothing?
Afrank said:
The but t pinch is one instance where Sagan can and probably should as 42x16ss said dial it down a little. But the majority of his antics (wheelies, tricks, funny things like the green beard, victory salutes) I would say are all in good fun and not that insulting.
The green beard etc is not insulting, but it is stupid. Maybe in time I'll warm to it, I couldn't stand Super Mario at his peak either, but for now it just reeks of attention-seeking, to make sure you know at all times, "hey that Peter Sagan guy is a real fun guy!"

Susan Westemeyer said:
I agree that we need more "personalities" in cycling. But pinching podium girls is not an acceptable way of expressing yourself. IN his personal circle, maybe. But not in the real world.
You (generic) might say that was nothing, but a lot of people took offense and it is going to take him a long time to recover from it, from the public's viewpoint.

agreed on the bold phrases. Honestly- apart from the pinch-What I hated the most on that issue was his "apology"-which truly revealed his "lack of personality". anyways- This matter has been discussed too much to bring it back.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, he should be careful wearing that in tours like Oman/Qatar, he may root in jail for that :D

Other than that, people at 18-19 are pretty dumb, give him some time to grow up.

Libertine Seguros said:
You're right, I don't know Sagan. So all I have to judge him off is his public persona. And his public persona is of a narcissistic ******, so I judge him off that. As to all the difficulty of handling popularity and success, ah diddums, does he want sympathy?

Then maybe he shouldn't be photographed in public like this:

Not exactly engendering the most sympathy there.

I don't think he should be prevented from expressing himself, but as long as he continues to comport himself like an obnoxious and immature jock, I will continue to think of him like one.

I did not want to react anymore but it is really hard to.

Please, let me know which of his late (post MAJA) public acting makes you write "his public persona is of a narcissistic ****** " I am lost here. Is it wheelies, green bird, salutes on Cannondale name on jersey? Probably my definition of narcissism is little bit different from your one.

That shirt is really stupid and really old, but I am sure it will be the main haters’ argument even in 10 years.

"he continues to comport himself like an obnoxious and immature jock". Well, probably your answer on my first question will give us your definition of obnoxious and immature jock as well.

For me his personality is not in all those wheelies, tricks and salutes (which btw. unfortunately completely disappeared) neither in his unfortunate incident Maja but in his responsibility he takes for the team, riding full power races he should not race at all, but mainly in his “not whining” attitude.

I have never heard him whining about something - weather, his team help, stage design, competition etc.

In the matter of fact when people in Slovak forum started writing a lot of negative posts regarding his team help, he stopped it immediately by telling loudly we know the **** about the cycling and the help he is getting. That day I realized he has grown up.

SKSemtex said:
I did not want to react anymore but it is really hard to.

Please, let me know which of his late (post MAJA) public acting makes you write "his public persona is of a narcissistic ****** " I am lost here. Is it wheelies, green bird, salutes on Cannondale name on jersey? Probably my definition of narcissism is little bit different from your one.
Yes, it is all of the above. Everything is "look at me! Aren't I just the wackiest, craziest and most awesomely fun?" And why can't I harp on things he did prior to the Ronde? I mean, it's not like it was a one-off thing to let slide, is it? Here he is at E3:

Fabs-Sagan-and-Oss-at-E3-Harelbeke-2013.jpg

It's also, of course, detracting attention away from the guy that, you know, won the race, and onto Sagan. The attention has to be his. Chris Froome wins the maillot jaune, Sagan's got to have the green beard so people talk about him at the podium, not Froome (who admittedly, whilst very polarising on the bike, is a bit of a generic, bland nice guy off it). You can point out his respect and pointing out support for his teammates all you like, that only makes him the same as Cavendish, who always took the time to clarify what a great job his teammates had done for him in the midst of telling us how great he is, how anybody who crossed him was a *** and how Andre Greipel could only win **** small races.

Maybe the negative press he got for taking his immature schoolboy humour a step too far in April has made him take a step back, and good if it has. But further attention-seeking behaviour like the green beard suggest that there's still some way to go before he's going to get anywhere near "likable" for me. As I say, I think he needs to be knocked down a peg or two like Cavendish was with the poor form coming off the dental surgery in 2010, because Cavendish was similarly annoying and egotistical prior to that (less attention-seeking but more disrespectful of fellow competitors, mind) and it caused him to grow up a lot.

Anyone who didn't make mistakes at his age didn't do anything interesting at his age.

There's a certain type of cycling fan who thinks that every cyclist must be 'seen and not heard', be ever so 'umble and bang on about how they must be respectful. Like the old sponsors who insisted that their riders remember their place.

These fans are pretty pompous and full of their own self-superiority. It's sport. It's meant to be fun. So if Sagan is showing off, enjoying himself (in a non-offensive manner) and entertaining the public then good luck to him. Long may he continue to upset the dull overbearing guardians of righteousness.

Parker said:
Anyone who didn't make mistakes at his age didn't do anything interesting at his age.

There's a certain type of cycling fan who thinks that every cyclist must be 'seen and not heard', be ever so 'umble and bang on about how they must be respectful. Like the old sponsors who insisted that their riders remember their place.

These fans are pretty pompous and full of their own self-superiority. It's sport. It's meant to be fun. So if Sagan is showing off, enjoying himself (in a non-offensive manner) and entertaining the public then good luck to him. Long may he continue to upset the dull overbearing guardians of righteousness.
Nice to know that the masses are easily entertained by casual sexism and hair dye, and that I'm an old curmudgeon for not finding this endearing.

I'm aware I'm a curmudgeon, but frankly I find it quite a sobering thought to discover how many people think a public persona like Sagan and his self-serving antics are true signs of likability, and how I'm made out to be the villain for not finding these antics endearing.

As I said, maybe time will heal the wounds - I hated Cipo at the time too. But right now, I really don't 'get' how this kind of behaviour is supposed to make him into a guy that we're supposed to cheer for (notwithstanding my usual resentment of people who win too often for removing suspense from events).

I don't want him to turn into a characterless corporate mouthpiece. Sagan is a character, of that there is no doubt. But not all characters are good, and not all characters are likable. I don't find Sagan's character likable, and like all good villains, I want to watch to see somebody wipe the smile off his face. I'd say he'd be a good wrestling bad guy, only people seem to want to root for him.

hrotha said:
Wow, implying only pompous fans who are full of it would dislike Sagan?
No, it's not just Sagan. Several riders get called scumbags, a-holes, ****s (fill in your own letters). There's a certain type of alleged fan that likes to hold moral judgement over riders who they deem to have stepped out from their own narrow conservative ideas of what a cyclist should be and that they could be kept in their place.

hrotha said:
And people have a problem with insulting a pro rider but fine with insulting fellow forumers?
Have I insulted forumers? It's something that goes beyond this forum.
However, it is interesting that that you feel that riders may be judged but forumers may not be. You therefore appear to imply that riders are of lower status that forumers? Kind of that sense of superiority I was talking about.

hrotha said:
Er, no, I'm saying riders are public figures while forumers aren't.
So that gives you a right to treat them any different than you would other people, does it? Do you think you have some sort of ownership over them just because you manage to press a button on a TV remote? Do you think they owe you something?

On another section of this forum, there is wholesale accusing of riders of what is in many countries criminal activity with sod all evidence. You do this yourself. You see it as acceptable. But vaguely refer to certain fans as pompous and this is unacceptable. I think you moral perspective has taken a big knock somewhere.

hrotha said:
And you were clearly referring to LS in pretty insulting terms.
Not specifically, but she would appear to fall at least partly into the category.

Parker said:
No, it's not just Sagan. Several riders get called scumbags, a-holes, ****s (fill in your own letters). There's a certain type of alleged fan that likes to hold moral judgement over riders who they deem to have stepped out from their own narrow conservative ideas of what a cyclist should be and that they could be kept in their place.
Just for the record, my comments on Sagan have nothing to do with any kind of idea of what a cyclist should be. It's just that as a professional sportsman he has a public persona. The personality traits he has shown in that capacity would make me find it difficult to warm to him, regardless of whether he was a professional cyclist, a musician, an actor or an insurance salesman.

Parker said:
No, it's not just Sagan. Several riders get called scumbags, a-holes, ****s (fill in your own letters).

Is this about Wiggins working Omerta on Landis again? Yes he was an ******* and a scumbag to do it. And Sagan was an ******* to sexually harras that girl. Its wrong. Get it? Its wrong if a nobody does is and its also wrong if a famous athlete like Sagan does it.

Being famous does not excuse bad behaviour. Sorry it doesn't. Its a shame even in the 21st century when the judiciary in developed countries is up to speed with concepts like - equality before the law, that people still think their favorites deserve special leniency.
If someone behaves like an ******* they deserve to be called out on it, regardless of how much their fanboys love them, especially the ones who support them for the flag who are the most narrow minded of all.

And I btw am Sagan's age and resent the implication that people at this age can't distinguish between right and wrong. You do on the other hand, actually seem unable to distinguish between right and wrong, but I doubt your age is the reason.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Funny that my handful of insults on Prince Charming create this kind of reaction, but who's stepping in to tell those hating on Wiggins or Valverde to back down? Where are the posts chastising those who insult those guys apropos of nothing?

The only reason I commented on your posts on Sagan was because you would add some kind of "he's a ***" or he's "as appealing as syphilis" type insult. And it was getting annoying to me personally (and to be completely truthful, I wasn't in that good a mood at the time). Posts that insult riders I don't like obviously aren't going to annoy me as much. Especially if the rider does something to make those insults justified. Like when Wiggins gave reporters the finger for example.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It's also, of course, detracting attention away from the guy that, you know, won the race, and onto Sagan. The attention has to be his. Chris Froome wins the maillot jaune, Sagan's got to have the green beard so people talk about him at the podium, not Froome (who admittedly, whilst very polarising on the bike, is a bit of a generic, bland nice guy off it).

The but pinch detracted from cance, I agree to that (and IMO that's the biggest thing that was wrong with it). But I seriously doubt dying his hair green made anyone focus that much less on Froome or that it was a attempt to make people turn their attention to him instead of Froome. Froome had just won the Tour, he was getting plenty of attention.

TRENDING THREADS