• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Don't be to hard on him. He's very young and still has plenty of room for improvement. He obviously did a rookie move today and went to early.
Sure, but that doesn't mean we should be hyping his 10th place in a minor classic with a relatively weak field.

DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:
10th in his first ever race on the cobbles. Amazing.
Beaten only by such legends of cycling as Theuns, Keukeleire and Thwaites. Today 10th in Dwars, tomorrow the world.
It's the first time he's ever seen a cobblestone in his life, yet he's there once again in a position to win. I can remember worse debuts. But hey, let's just be negative.
How big was the group he finished with? At least it was big and that basically means it shouldnt really surprise us that he was there. And then the sprint itself was rather underwhelming so this race rather made me question if he is a future cobbles classic contender than it made me convinced that he is.

Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:
Beaten only by such legends of cycling as Theuns, Keukeleire and Thwaites. Today 10th in Dwars, tomorrow the world.
It's the first time he's ever seen a cobblestone in his life, yet he's there once again in a position to win. I can remember worse debuts. But hey, let's just be negative.
How big was the group he finished with? At least it was big and that basically means it shouldnt really surprise us that he was there. And then the sprint itself was rather underwhelming so this race rather made me question if he is a future cobbles classic contender than it made me convinced that he is.
Checking how many people finished in the same group is just telling half the story, as he was in that chasing group with Benoot and van Avermaet as well...

DNP-Old said:
Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:
Checking how many people finished in the same group is just telling half the story, as he was in that group with Benoot and van Avermaet as well...
Well in your comment you wrote that his 10th place is the amazing thing not the way he rode today.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
I believe there might be a reasonable middle ground between being negative and describing 10th place in Dwars door Vlaanderen as "amazing".

CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:
I believe there might be a reasonable middle ground between being negative and describing 10th place in Dwars door Vlaanderen as "amazing".
Yes, because f context and let's just look no further than the result alone.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
My apologies, I wasn't aware that I had to explain my posts to every last detail and that people didn't think for themselves ITT.
Come on. You know that this tenth place wasnt amazing. The nine guys in front of him were: Debusschere, Coquard, Theuns, Pozzato, Keukeleire, Nizzolo, Gatto, Thwaites and Teunissen.
It's not horrible to be behind these guys but just not amazing too.
Edit: and you wrote "tenth place in his first classic. Amazing" So why shouldnt we think that you meant that a tenth place in this race is something absolutely impressive although thats exactly what you wrote

Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
My apologies, I wasn't aware that I had to explain my posts to every last detail and that people didn't think for themselves ITT.
Come on. You know that this tenth place wasnt amazing. The nine guys in front of him were: Debusschere, Coquard, Theuns, Pozzato, Keukeleire, Nizzolo, Gatto, Thwaites and Teunissen.
It's not horrible to be behind these guys but just not amazing too.
Agree to disagree. I find it highly impressive that someone, who is just 21 years old and is riding his first ever race on cobblestones, managed to do the things he did. THIS GOES FURTHER THAN JUST THE RESULT, just pointing that out in case anyone hadn't noticed and didn't think (or isn't able to) that far.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:

His ride was not amazing by any means! He was good through out the race, but he blew up in the sprint. That means he needs much more strength to be competitive in this races. And Dwars is only 200km... I know he's young, and this is his first race on the cobbles, but he was not amazing believe me! He was good, but he needs much work and much to learn to be competitive in such races.

Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:

His ride was not amazing by any means! He was good through out the race, but he blew up in the sprint. That means he needs much more strength to be competitive in this races. And Dwars is only 200km... I know he's young, and this is his first race on the cobbles, but he was not amazing believe me! He was good, but he needs much work and much to learn to be competitive in such races.
''Believe me'', am I not allowed to have my own opinion on this or something?

DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:

Sure you are. You can look at all results that Gaviria attain through a filter of admiration or you can see them in an objective way.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:

and yet he had the strength to be in pole position at MSR. I know there are no cobbles but still.

DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
CheckMyPecs said:
DNP-Old said:

Stop hyping him up so much. Allow the kid to develop without placing too much pressure on him