• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Escarabajo said:
It looks like he can climb very well. So it will be more like the Zabel type. Am I right?
Gaviria seems more Saganesque, rather than Zabelesque. He has it all. And thanks to his track background, not only does he have more speed, but he's able to maintain his topspeed for a longer period.

Don't forget Gaviria was the one of the first to attack in the final lap of the 2014 Ponferrada championships, along with Mathieu van der Poel, Robert Power and Miguel Angel Lopez. He also had a huge solo in Tour de l'Avenir of 100+ km, and he was in the breakaway in the RideLondon Classic. So it's not like he just sits in the peloton to wait for a possible sprint.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Escarabajo said:
It looks like he can climb very well. So it will be more like the Zabel type. Am I right?
Gaviria seems more Saganesque, rather than Zabelesque. He has it all. And thanks to his track background, not only does he have more speed, but he's able to maintain his topspeed for a longer period.

Don't forget Gaviria was the one of the first to attack in the final lap of the 2014 Ponferrada championships, along with Mathieu van der Poel, Robert Power and Miguel Angel Lopez. He also had a huge solo in Tour de l'Avenir of 100+ km, and he was in the breakaway in the RideLondon Classic. So it's not like he just sits in the peloton to wait for a possible sprint.
He's a monstrous talent, that's for sure. I see him as being more like Boonen pre '09 than Zabel or Sagan. A strongman sprinter who can roule with the best and climb a bit. Crazy potential.

Kid looks like he's having fun.

CZPm4k-WwAAFRwT.jpg

carton said:
Escarabajo said:
He is recuperating well. His main targets are Olympics and La Vuelta. It will be nice to see what he can do in La Vuelta.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/20304-la-recuperacion-va-por-buen-camino-posiblemente-correre-la-vuelta-a-espana-fernando-gaviria.html
Seems like he's more excited about his road campaign that his track commitments, even including Rio.

Isn't that the case for almost everybody though? Even perennial winners like Keisse enjoy riding on the road (as a domestique) more than winning on the track. And for most of the CX guys it is the same, too.

Akuryo said:
Isn't that the case for almost everybody though? Even perennial winners like Keisse enjoy riding on the road (as a domestique) more than winning on the track. And for most of the CX guys it is the same, too.
Maybe. Though guys like Cav, Viviani and Wiggins seem really psyched about hitting the boards.

But more to the point pretty much every athlete I know dreams about winning Olympic gold. Here's a guy with an actual shot who doesn't sound excited about it at all (translated as literally as possible):
Revista Mundo Ciclistico said:
RMC: "Do you have the Olympics in mind?"
FG: "Honestly I'd prefer to be racing on the road than to go to the Olympics, but if the Colombian National Team requests me for the get-together I'll go. However, it would be nice to get to Rio well-trained and in good form to accomplish the objectives."
He does go on to say in answering another question that he wants to continue to "bring joy to a country that always supports me".

Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Will he do road worlds with the Elite or with the U23?
I assume he is going with the pro's as he is Colombia's best shot but at the U23 he would surely be the favourite (he might also go really well with the pro's though)
Thought he'd be riding track at the Olympics for the Colombians?
At least that and the overhyped pricetag was why I fired him from my fantasy team. :)

TRENDING THREADS