• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

hwetfn.jpg

Yeah he is a pretty special talent, Brian Holm always is praising him a ton but said he didn't believe he really would feature in this Worlds, said it was 2 weeks too soon with injuries and all. Just being in that selective group speaks voumes. With better tactics he probably would have gotten medal, I don't see a world where he would beat Sagan and Kristoff today. They were super strong.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah he is a pretty special talent, Brian Holm always is praising him a ton but said he didn't believe he really would feature in this Worlds, said it was 2 weeks too soon with injuries and all. Just being in that selective group speaks voumes. With better tactics he probably would have gotten medal, I don't see a world where he would beat Sagan and Kristoff today. They were super strong.
I'm not so sure of that, to be honest. He did already a huge effort to catch Gilbert and closed gaps on Lutsenko and Cort. If he just followed wheels, like Sagan did, and had a good position to start the sprint, he could have beaten Sagan.

But indeed, very impressive to be there after +250 kilometers with only a few weeks of training in the legs.

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
Maybe, but remember Sagan also closed a gap.. too bad there really aren't that many races left on the calendar now that he finally has hit the shape. Lets hope he doesn't have to deal with rotten luck next year.

Paris Tours is a suitable race and he is riding the Tour of Guangxi.
I think you knew I referred to Paris-Tour as not that many races. Basically the only bigger race left for him to win at this point, no.

We have basically only seen him at 100% on a few stages in the Giro when he wasn't sick where he absolutely demolished the field. Crashed in San Remo in winning position, crashed in Worlds when he was in great shape, now riding like a clueless junior. :lol:

Its crazy, there is so much potential, but he doesn't really have that much to show for it yet. I bet most casual fans doesn't even know him. They will next year.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
He's already regretting his attacks and chase downs, idiot. No other way to put it.
Its time to win big now. Tbh I had never expected he would be this strong so Im just pleased with him showing this potential, but its frustrating how there's always something missing on the big scene. You could see how strong he was, that should bode well for his cobbled campaign where he was kinda underwhelming this year IMO, probably since he had the Giro in mind.

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
He's already regretting his attacks and chase downs, idiot. No other way to put it.
Its time to win big now. Tbh I had never expected he would be this strong so Im just pleased with him showing this potential, but its frustrating how there's always something missing on the big scene. You could see how strong he was, that should bode well for his cobbled campaign where he was kinda underwhelming this year IMO, probably since he had the Giro in mind.
Exactly. Don't forget, in the penultimate climb of Salmon Hill, there was a Colombian attacking. Everyone just believed and assumed it was Uran, but I am 110% sure it was Gaviria himself. He just looked at ease the whole day, which showcases his insane talent. Without proper preparation, he is still here, at age 23, contending for the win.

These are opportunities he can't just let go. Do it once: it's a mistake and you learn from it. Do it twice, and it might be something more, like a severe lack of tactical brain cells. There was just absolutely no reason to do what he did.

Perhaps he didn't think he was good enough of beating Sagan and others in a sprint (although I am pretty sure Sagan was just as afraid of him as vice versa). Could be an explanation, but attacking doesn't maximise his chances of winning. The Italians were always going to chase, he had Uran with him and no one in their right mind wants to go to the line with him in a direct battle.

Viviani once said it best: "He won two Worlds titles on the track through sheer talent and power in the legs. He wasn't riding particularly tactically; he simply had more legs and more talent than the other guys.''

Oh well, you win some and lose time. Looking at this season, he has showed on occasion how great he can be but it still could have been much more in my opinion. Next year there is no Boonen, no Trentin and Stybar and Terpstra have peaked (although still very good). There is no better team to ride on than QS in the spring races so he should win a semi-classic and be up there in Flanders and Roubaix. Especially looking forward to him in Roubaix, he is incredible on flat roads. And with Kittel gone he is riding the Tour as the captain and should be able to contest him in a pure sprint as probably the only guy in the peloton. Im really looking forward to it.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Gaviria is really the new wonder boy in sprints. Hope to see him improve his ability in one day races and I'm hoping he still will improve and not stagnate early like other colombians

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Oh well, you win some and lose time. Looking at this season, he has showed on occasion how great he can be but it still could have been much more in my opinion. Next year there is no Boonen, no Trentin and Stybar and Terpstra have peaked (although still very good). There is no better team to ride on than QS in the spring races so he should win a semi-classic and be up there in Flanders and Roubaix. Especially looking forward to him in Roubaix, he is incredible on flat roads. And with Kittel gone he is riding the Tour as the captain and should be able to contest him in a pure sprint as probably the only guy in the peloton. Im really looking forward to it.
Can't see him winning in flanders. I think he will never have a chance of winning there, not against sagan (who is his main rival for the future). Sagan is so much better than him in those cobbled hills. Roubaix is another question.

portugal11 said:
SKSemtex said:
I think Gaviria is the reason Sagan will never win MSR. Unless Le Manie will be brought back.
I think he is really special.
Did you see 2017 milan san remo :confused:
YEs I did. How many times more do you think he can pull this trick? An even if he be in top of the hill first again, nobody will ever bring him to the line again the way he can sprint for the win.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
portugal11 said:
SKSemtex said:
I think Gaviria is the reason Sagan will never win MSR. Unless Le Manie will be brought back.
YEs I did. How many times more do you think he can pull this trick? An even if he be in top of the hill first again, nobody will ever bring him to the line again the way he can sprint for the win.
He just need a better team, that it is able to put a hard tempo in both cipressa and poggio. Gaviria doesn't have the endurance and climbing ability of sagan, so sagan can beat him like he did today.

portugal11 said:
SKSemtex said:
portugal11 said:
SKSemtex said:
He just need a better team, that it is able to put a hard tempo in both cipressa and poggio. Gaviria doesn't have the endurance and climbing ability of sagan, so sagan can beat him like he did today.
Lol no. Gaviria exactly showed his endurance and climbing ability in this race, MSR isn't harder than this. Then you add the pretty shitty prep. If anything Gaviria just ruined it for himself (not saying he would have beaten Sagan).

portugal11 said:
SKSemtex said:
portugal11 said:
SKSemtex said:
This I agree with. Lets see if Peter Kennaugh, can pace him down to the line

That Gaviria actually managed 8th in the sprint after all those moves in the last 4km was quite impressive. He only faded in the last couple of hundred meters, he was actually moving up with about 400-300 to go. Cort, in comparison, just died completely when he was caught, and he hadn't been making the efforts that Gav did.

Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.

Gigs_98 said:
Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.
Nah, he was fresh, he just gassed himself over 2 kilometres and only was caught with 1 kilometre to go which is the real reason his sprint suffered. He would at least have gotten 3rd had he not, assuming he wasn't caught up in something.

TRENDING THREADS