• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The groups are drawn!

Group A:
South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
Group B:
Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece
Group C:
England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D:
Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana
Group E
Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Group F:
Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
Group G:
Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal
Group H:
Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Mostly disappointing.
Looking forward to Brazil - Portugal!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm pumped for it I think Spain has a great chance to win, and USA has a good chance to go advance. I'm also excited to see the Brazil v Portugal. It's gonna be a great world cup

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
I'm pumped for it I think Spain has a great chance to win, and USA has a good chance to go advance. I'm also excited to see the Brazil v Portugal. It's gonna be a great world cup

Hope to see some surprise but I think these teams will make it through the first round.

A: France, Mexico
B: Argentina, Nigeria
C: England, USA/Slovenia
D: Germany, Serbia
E: Netherlands, Cameroon/Denmark
F: Italy, Paraguay
G: Brazil, Portugal
H: Spain/?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
BV picks:

A: France, Mexico
B: Argentina, Nigeria
C: England, USA
D: Germany, Serbia
E: Netherlands, Cameroon
F: Italy, Paraguay
G: Brazil, Cote D'Ivoire
H: Spain, Chile

Group C&D appears to be lacking some depth, and they'll be tied to each other past the group phase. UK v. Germany seems likely...

A & H are quite poor in quality as well, although past the group phase Spain is facing #2 of the group of death. That's a tough draw. And B contains Argentina and Nigeria, off setting an easy qualification in group A.

E&F seem to be more balanced...

A

Anonymous

I cannot wait for the match with England. I know we have no chance of winning. That is why it will be even sweeter when we do.

Netherlands should win out in their group. Denmark qualified well, and finished ahead of Portugal over 10 games, but on the biggest stage they'll come up short. Japan doesn't nearly have the quality they had a couple of years ago, and Cameroon obviously has a couple of world-class players in Eto'o and Makoun, but other than that they have little to offer IMO. Then we'll face the #2 of the Italy/New Zealand/Paraguay/Slovakia group, so that shouldn't be a problem. But then we'll probably face the winner of the Brazil/Portugal group in the 1/4 finals, so that'll be the end of the line for the Dutch I'm afraid.

If both Brazil and Spain win their respective groups we could see a positively delicious final of those two superpowers, which Brazil will win 3-1.

BTW, tough draws for a couple of the African teams. South Africa and Ivory Coast have positively vomitous draws.

A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
You're funny. Although you guys did beat Spain, so I'll give you guys some credit, but the Confed Cup ain't the World Cup. Totally different animal.

I know, I know. I am just glad we get a shot against them because you know that there will be enormous amounts of chest beating (or even worse, completely ignoring us as a threat) by the English team. If we are going to get emotionally involved with beating anyone it will be them. Beat the motherland and wipe the smug looks off their faces...yea, that will be an easy thing to buy into. Man, that would be a sweet win for us. Probably not possible, but the biggest wins never are.

I also believe this would increase the popularity of the sport here exponentially, which is a good thing. Hey, we beat the Russians in hockey in the 80 Olympics in the midst of a recession when everyone was down. This could be just the thing we need as a country. Then again, maybe not.

Thoughtforfood said:
I know, I know. I am just glad we get a shot against them because you know that there will be enormous amounts of chest beating (or even worse, completely ignoring us as a threat) by the English team. If we are going to get emotionally involved with beating anyone it will be them. Beat the motherland and wipe the smug looks off their faces...yea, that will be an easy thing to buy into. Man, that would be a sweet win for us. Probably not possible, but the biggest wins never are.

I also believe this would increase the popularity of the sport here exponentially, which is a good thing. Hey, we beat the Russians in hockey in the 80 Olympics in the midst of a recession when everyone was down. This could be just the thing we need as a country. Then again, maybe not.

I doubt they'll do that. England-USA is the opening game in that group, plus you're the only serious threat to them. If it was the 3rd game in the group, and if England had already smashed Algeria and Slovenia they might have gotten in overconfident.

Plus Capello isn't the kind of manager who'll let teams get overconfident.

What's going to happen:

Group A:
1st: France, 2nd: Uruguay

Group B:
1st: Argentina, 2nd: South Korea (real pick-em for this one tho. Could make a case for all 3)

Group C:
1st: England, 2nd: USA

Group D:
1st: Ghana, 2nd: Germany

Group E

1st: Netherlands, 2nd: Cameroon

Group F:

1st: Italy, 2nd: Paraguay

Group G:
1st: Brazil, 2nd: Portugal

Group H:

1st: Spain, 2nd: Chile

2nd Round:

-France beats South Korea
-Germany beats England
-Netherlands beats Paraguay
-Brazil beats Chile
-Argentina beats Uruguay
-Ghana beats USA
-Cameroon beats Italy
-Spain beats Portugal

Quarters:

-Germany beats France
-Brazil beats Netherlands
-Ghana beats Argentina
-Spain beats Cameroon

Semis:

-Brazil beats Germany
-Spain beats Ghana

3rd Place:

-Ghana beats Germany

Final:

-Brazil beats Spain

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
English football fans will feel they got off lightly this evening after their team was handed a relatively easy group for next year's World Cup Finals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-face-USA-Algeria-Slovenia.html#ixzz0YkdgD8TG

I guess getting to the Quarters will be counted as a win since they have no shot at taking the whole thing. We're not supposed to win it all, of course neither are they. I guess being higher up the loser chart is the best they can hope for?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Last time the placing wasn't as easy as A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A2, moondance.

I think Argentina will take it. If Messi is in good shape that is.

zapata said:
I agree: argentina wins. Moondance, good breakdown, but probably a bit optimistic about the african teams? Ghana beats argentina? cameroon beats italy? I'd bet against that.

Argentina needed a last minute goal from Palermo to beat Peru, at River Plate Stadium. Peru was dead last in the COMNEBOL qualifying group. They lost away to Paraguay. They scraped by Uruguay.

Ghana beats them in Africa. Ghana has a magnificent midfield that can break down pretty much any team with tough play and vision.

zapata said:
Essien is obviously one of the best midfielders in the world. Anthony Annan is a strong player also, far too good for the norwegian league, but still..my money is on argentina. Can't wait!

Sully Muntari, Stephen Appiah, Kwadso Asamoah (future star)..... Gorgeous.

I personally rate Essien extremely highly. I consider him the 4th best player in the world right now, so maybe that colors my vision.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Argentina needed a last minute goal from Palermo to beat Peru, at River Plate Stadium. Peru was dead last in the COMNEBOL qualifying group. They lost away to Paraguay. They scraped by Uruguay.

Ghana beats them in Africa. Ghana has a magnificent midfield that can break down pretty much any team with tough play and vision.

South American qualifiers say little to nothing. Players have to travel in from Europe last minute every time, matches at 3500 meter altitudes...
Teams that depend on home based players have a big advantage there.

Maradona can't manage, I agree, he will take most of the spotlight away from the one guy who's gonna have to do it for them however.

Ghana has great team and the FIFA is gonna favor an African team for sure through the referees, but I'm going with Ivory Coast. They'll come second behind Brazil and beat Spain after that.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
What's going to happen:

Group A:
1st: France, 2nd: Uruguay

Group B:
1st: Argentina, 2nd: South Korea (real pick-em for this one tho. Could make a case for all 3)

Group C:
1st: England, 2nd: USA

Group D:
1st: Ghana, 2nd: Germany

Group E

1st: Netherlands, 2nd: Cameroon

Group F:

1st: Italy, 2nd: Paraguay

Group G:
1st: Brazil, 2nd: Portugal

Group H:

1st: Spain, 2nd: Chile

2nd Round:

-France beats South Korea
-Germany beats England
-Netherlands beats Paraguay
-Brazil beats Chile
-Argentina beats Uruguay
-Ghana beats USA
-Cameroon beats Italy
-Spain beats Portugal

Quarters:

-Germany beats France
-Brazil beats Netherlands
-Ghana beats Argentina
-Spain beats Cameroon

Semis:

-Brazil beats Germany
-Spain beats Ghana

3rd Place:

-Ghana beats Germany

Final:

-Brazil beats Spain

your prediction looks good except for the last pick.

I know, it's hard to be objective about football. Personally, I've always liked argentina, for no particular reason that I can think of. I don't know what their midfield will look like next year, but with Riquelme, mascherano, cambiasso, etc available, i think they will be able to match ghana, provided maradona doesn't mess everything up.

ak-zaaf said:
South American qualifiers say little to nothing. Players have to travel in from Europe last minute every time, matches at 3500 meter altitudes...
Teams that depend on home based players have a big advantage there.

Maradona can't manage, I agree, he will take most of the spotlight away from the one guy who's gonna have to do it for them however.

Ghana has great team and the FIFA is gonna favor an African team for sure through the referees, but I'm going with Ivory Coast. They'll come second behind Brazil and beat Spain after that.

I agree about the altitude thing. Which is why I didn't include the massacre they were subjected to in Bolivia last April. They still struggled mightily against Peru in Buenos Aires. BTW, if my scenario plays out, then Argentina would play Ghana in Johannesburg, which guess what, is at altitude.

Argentina has the players, but besides having a manager who is just bad, he also leaves players at home. Why are Tevez and Palermo playing and not Higuain, Milito or Lopez? Why is Veron playing and not Riquelme (who is playing like the Riquelme of old nowadays)? Why for all that is holy is Javier Zanetti still in any national selection?

Remember, T.I.A. This Is Africa. Expect something special from them, and i think Ghana will do that.

TRENDING THREADS