• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FIFA World Cup 2014

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Funny thing about Klose's record is he was 24 when he scored his first and went into what looked like his last world cup at 28 not yet in the top 40 list.

By comparison Mueller is only a few months older than Klose was when he scored his first and already has 10. Ronaldo is only a year older than Klose and by the end of that world cup would have 12 of his 15 goals.

thirteen said:
boy, do i choose sh*te days to travel...

I actually went for a 15 minute walk from 1 bar to another during the period when Germany scored all their goals, no ****.

We left when Germany had just scored their first. Heard cheers twice on the walk. Looked into a bar and saw 3-0 but we assumed it was us misreading 2-0 cos our eyes were squinting. Heard some more cheers, thought they were cheering the replays.

Then got to the bar as they were showing replays of the 5th goal and nothing happened the rest of the half:cool:

Merckx index said:
Which would have been worse for Brazil, to lose to Chile in the shootout, not even make the quarters, or to lose to Germany like this? Which would be more humiliating?

Losing to Chile in the shootout I think. This is not much better now, but at least they get to play 7 games and have a chance to redeem themselves in a way in the game for third place, maybe against Argentina even.

Merckx index said:
Which would have been worse for Brazil, to lose to Chile in the shootout, not even make the quarters, or to lose to Germany like this? Which would be more humiliating?

This is more humiliating but losing to Chile would have been worse. 2 weeks of tournament without the host nation, beaten by a South American rival, and I think Broncos fans can tell you that at least when you lose like this it's more of a cushioned fall. Losing suddenly on penalties or if pinillas last minute shot had gone under the bar, would have been a harder hit.

59 bucks says espn 30 for 30 will have a feature on this within the year.

Anyway Germany Argentina would probably be the worst final for Brazil since those were the 2 powerhouses of the Brazilian interregnum.

In the 24 years and 5 world cups between Brazilian wins Germany appeared in 4 finals, Argentina appears in 3 and both won 2 world cups each.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
10369892_10152125427382471_5526062564924924925_n.jpg

happytramp said:
Germany started the better and got a goal. It was fairly easy and Brazil didn't put up much of a fight. Then they got a second and shell shocked the Brazilians. What happened next was the shocking thing. They conceded 2 more goals in the next 2mins. 4 goals down and having conceded 3 goals in 3min, they just collapsed.
cheers! i wondered how it happened and, i guess, that makes sense

never thought Brazil was that great, but i also never thought they were that bad... nor did i think Germany was that spectacular... wow!

The Hitch said:
I actually went for a 15 minute walk from 1 bar to another during the period when Germany scored all their goals, no ****.

We left when Germany had just scored their first. Heard cheers twice on the walk. Looked into a bar and saw 3-0 but we assumed it was us misreading 2-0 cos our eyes were squinting. Heard some more cheers, thought they were cheering the replays.

Then got to the bar as they were showing replays of the 5th goal and nothing happened the rest of the half:cool:
to be honest, that sounds like something i would have done :p

at least i'll get to catch most of tonight if we finish dinner early enough... (watch, it will be boring as all ****)

(still fuming a bit that i missed todays stage on the cobbles, grrrr! we could have happily found a sports pub on the road and still been to the hotel in time, but, nooooo... i may need a new boyfriend... kidding... kind of...)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Worst defender ever

I like to know who came up with the idea at PSG that £50m to buy him was a great investment. I still can't get my head around that. That money paid the bulk of the transfer fees for Costa and Fabregas.

You know you have problems, when he was your captain last night. Miranda shouldn't have been just in the squad but in the starting eleven. Alex is also a far better defender and he wasn't selected.

Maxwell should be ahead of Marcelo. Felipe Luis should have been in the squad.

Maicon is finished, just look at how he performed when he was at Man City. I wouldn't even have him in the squad. Rafinha is who I would have picked.

I think Scolari after winning the Confederations Cup made up his mind that this more or less was going to be his squad for the World Cup and wasn't open minded to the idea of bringing new players into squad. Coutinho is another that springs to mind. Scolari deserves his fair share of the blame, he even praised their style of play after the Colombia game.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
What a night it was. It started with thunder and lightning when I was going to the game... And then more thunder and lightning happened on the field.
All predictions wrong by me... but who cares? :)
That one will be remembered as long as mankind survives. It was kinda unreal, absurd, unbelieveable... goals by the minute, one guy next to me thought the 4-0 or 5-0 was just the replay of a goal scored seconds before :D ... God Klose broke the record. Highest ever win by GER vs BRA... and so on. :)
Inconceivable. I am still stunned.
The only comparison I can come up with were a shell shocked football Broncos losing to the 49ers in their biggest game, getting trashed 10-55 in a final back in the 80s. That´s like a 1-7 in soccer on the highest level...

Edit: ... and all peace now with Löw. It took me a while to get his strange tactics. Now I know it: He saved the best for last to miss-lead the opponents. He chose only one Forward to go with, because he knew he had God himself (thus no more forwards needed). He made his team weaker than it is, and then brought Klose for one forgettable game (zero shots) to get some reps, and after that hell broke lose. Firing from all cylinders with the (almost) best eleven available. He looks like genius now. If he leaves Özil out for the final, he will have the best eleven possible for the last game. What a mastermind.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
l.Harm said:
Imo Löw is a very nice person. Also I don't agree with you on him on his tactical decisions. But let not have that discussion right now

As I just said: All peace with Löw now. My opinions are not set in stone. I am learning every day in life. I am willing to accept other opinions and change mine, if they are reasoned.

And last nights magic gave me seven beautiful reasons to like Löw now.

That game is instant history. If I am still alive in 30 years I will remember the "Magic of Belo Horizonte", like I remember everything from the 1982 "Night of Seville".

:)

BTW: Some of my last sentences about Löw were a little bit ironical. OFC I don´t think he intentionally brought weaker players to miss-lead opponents. It´s more like he learned during the tournament. Something great coaches are able to do...

TRENDING THREADS