• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FIFA World Cup 2014

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's sad that England just don't know what to do when they have controll of the ball. One ****ed up moment and bam, it's over for them because they can't break down a defence. They are going to struggle against Costa Rica, who'll just sit deep. And Uruguay can't play that bad again, and might just sit back as well and counter attack. It's an open Group.

Rechtschreibfehler said:
It's sad that England just don't know what to do when they have controll of the ball. One ****ed up moment and bam, it's over for them because they can't break down a defence. They are going to struggle against Costa Rica, who'll just sit deep. And Uruguay can't play that bad again, and might just sit back as well and counter attack. It's an open Group.

That's a bit harsh. Breaking down an Italian team with a one goal lead is one of the hardest things to do in world football.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Horrible lol.and pretty imobille like Hitch said couple of dsys ago:D

But if you play it right, it´s perfectly effective. How many times you see late scores... but not against Italy. Perfect display of defense. Get the lead, after that have two more shots (incl. !! Pirlos free kick hitting the post), otherwise wall up your 16m box with players. Result; ENG could only manage long range shots aiming high (the ground was covered) in the 2nd half. 10 shots after Italy took the lead, but only two reached the goal.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The way Pirlo struts around the pitch doing his stuff is a joy to watch. He's an artist with a ball.

I don't think Prandelli should have taken off Veratti.

Shochu%20set.jpg

2 -0

King Boonen said:
That's a bit harsh. Breaking down an Italian team with a one goal lead is one of the hardest things to do in world football.

Sure, it's very hard to do so. But you could see that they aren't comfortable in posession and have a pretty bad build up play. But also they lack players who could do that. I'd try Barkley in a deeper role maybe.

When they have to controll the game maybe it would be better to play a 4-3-1-2.

Gerrard,Barkley,Henderson(Whilshire)-Sterling-Rooney,Sturridge. Johnson and Baines are good full backs to provide width. They won't do that anyway.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
The way Pirlo struts around the pitch doing his stuff is a joy to watch. He's an artist with a ball.

I don't think Prandelli should have taken off Veratti.

I think he was exhausted + Motta gives more defensive help. Really impressive how Italy just completely shut down the match after they went up 2-1.

Balotelli needs more help though, they were pretty lucky to score 2 goals here.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I think he was exhausted + Motta gives more defensive help. Really impressive how Italy just completely shut down the match after they went up 2-1.

Balotelli needs more help though, they were pretty lucky to score 2 goals here.

Veratti wasn't exhausted to me. Agree on the Motta more defensive point and probably where Prandelli saw things but I don't see why they couldn't have kept him on and continue they way they were going. It was only 50 odd mins into the game.

Later on in the game I would have understood it more. Then you look at seeing things out. Veratti was doing well up to that point.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Veratti wasn't exhausted to me. Agree on the Motta more defensive point and probably where Prandelli saw things but I don't see why they couldn't have kept him on and continue they way they were going. It was only 50 odd mins into the game.

Later on in the game I would have understood it more. Then you look at seeing things out. Veratti was doing well up to that point.

Yes Verratti was very good. Its really a joy to watch him and Pirlo passing the ball around.