• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FIFA World Cup 2014

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Couldn't believe the BBC analysis. Pretended like England actually had a fair chance to win the match. Well, Italy's usually a slow starter and was almost the entire match fully in control. I've still to see whether England is going to beat Uruguay, even tough Uruguay really sucked today. Imo England was nothing special today. Got tactically leveled.

Btw, I read in here that the Italians do not have a system? It was pretty obvious. Fullbacks high on the pitch and Candreva and Marchisio coming to the inside. Which caused England lots of troubles since now their wingers were forced to defend, and Rooney didn't do this.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
l.Harm said:
Couldn't believe the BBC analysis. Pretended like England actually had a fair chance to win the match. Well, Italy's usually a slow starter and was almost the entire match fully in control. I've still to see whether England is going to beat Uruguay, even tough Uruguay really sucked today. Imo England was nothing special today. Got tactically leveled.

Btw, I read in here that the Italians do not have a system? It was pretty obvious. Fullbacks high on the pitch and Candreva and Marchisio coming to the inside. Which caused England lots of troubles since now their wingers were forced to defend, and Rooney didn't do this.

Couldn't listen to them. I heard Phil Neville got lots of criticism for his co-commentary.

Speaking of full backs, Darmian played well. Second time having a good look at him, he was impressive too against us a couple of weeks back.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
l.Harm said:
Btw, I read in here that the Italians do not have a system?

Who said that? They have the system. Now I don´t know how the soccer world calls it nowadays, nor do I know what´s the latest "hip-and-in-thing" since it´s my first few games since 2010 (and before I wasn´t hardcore follower as I was until circa 1990).
But today I saw good ´ol cattenachio. Clearly 4 down linemen, and 3 just in front of them attacking opposing ball carriers. OFC that hurts your offense tremendously... but that´s the trick. Italy always got "snipers" in front (Rossi the most effective OFC) who scored with high effieciency on few chances, after that, it was about walling up. No fancy new age style things, but winning soccer style old school instead...

l.Harm said:

Well the Italians were very exposed on the flanks and almost created zero dangerous moments. They had one crystal clear chance and that was the 2:1. After that they sat back. Before that England were doing quite well, defending, hitting them on the break. England didn't protect their left side of defence well enough though, as it was obvious that the Italians were solely using their right side to attack.

As usual the lack of creativity cripples the Ivory Coast. I liked their wing play though in the first half a couple of times.

And Zokora is a ****ing midfielder, he should be able to open play better from the back than he has done so far.

Aurier's crosses are magnificent, dangerous every single time. And now Bony has converted one.

AGAIN and now Gervinho scores from it. Woeful defending and even worse goalkeeping on the side of the Japanese.
So now where is that brilliant offensive play Japan are supposed to posses.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Aurier's crossing is a big strength of his at Toulouse. Not surprised to see it here.

Arsene, get the deal done. He loves Arsenal too, he was tweeting about them last year. He's begging to join.

serge-aurier.png

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Who said that? They have the system. Now I don´t know how the soccer world calls it nowadays, nor do I know what´s the latest "hip-and-in-thing" since it´s my first few games since 2010 (and before I wasn´t hardcore follower as I was until circa 1990).
But today I saw good ´ol cattenachio. Clearly 4 down linemen, and 3 just in front of them attacking opposing ball carriers. OFC that hurts your offense tremendously... but that´s the trick. Italy always got "snipers" in front (Rossi the most effective OFC) who scored with high effieciency on few chances, after that, it was about walling up. No fancy new age style things, but winning soccer style old school instead...

People who saw Italians play catenaccio yesterday must've been drinking or have never actually seen catenaccio (Euro 2000 comes to mind). Gli azzurri played fairly attacking yesterday AND with a lot of possession. Backs playing very high, forcing Rooney to be useless except once. In fact, the Italians are quite vulnerable in defence because Chielini should play there but has to play left back. Italy hit the woodwork twice and a ball was saved of the line, btw - their win was well earned.

Rechtschreibfehler said:
As usual the lack of creativity cripples the Ivory Coast. I liked their wing play though in the first half a couple of times.

And Zokora is a ****ing midfielder, he should be able to open play better from the back than he has done so far.

Aurier's crosses are magnificent, dangerous every single time. And now Bony has converted one.

AGAIN and now Gervinho scores from it. Woeful defending and even worse goalkeeping on the side of the Japanese.
So now where is that brilliant offensive play Japan are supposed to posses.
Yea, i don't get zokora, never have.

And nice to start off with a win against inghilterra....and i am sure we will top the group. :p

About the ball this world cup, i think long shot are much easier then the previous one, seems players have a lot more control in their shot. what do you guys think?

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
gooner said:
Aurier's crossing is a big strength of his at Toulouse. Not surprised to see it here.

Arsene, get the deal done. He loves Arsenal too, he was tweeting about them last year. He's begging to join.

serge-aurier.png

You were right about this guy,is good enough to replace Sagna.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Jagartrott said:
People who saw Italians play catenaccio yesterday must've been drinking or have never actually seen catenaccio (Euro 2000 comes to mind). Gli azzurri played fairly attacking yesterday AND with a lot of possession. Backs playing very high, forcing Rooney to be useless except once. In fact, the Italians are quite vulnerable in defence because Chielini should play there but has to play left back. Italy hit the woodwork twice and a ball was saved of the line, btw - their win was well earned.

Don´t know what you saw, but I saw very clear (my drinking bouts come later, when Klose breaks the record, just 1 1/2 days to go :D) walling up defense by Italy. I am old school, and call it what it is: Cattenacio. Now the new wave guys can call it whatever they want, can find some fancy tactics names, but in the end, the result is the same as "always": Italy prevails with superb defense.

What I further saw was that b/c of that 7+ men defending, that ENG barely got into the 16m box. Shots were from the outside and high. Just two shots came from the inside, with Rooney´s chance in the 62nd minute as the golden opportunity to score*. You better take it... or you are just World-Cup-off-target-Rooney... and lose.

(* The other one being Barkleys shot in the 64th minute. That was it. Feierabend. 16m box, and thus the goal was nailed up for the reminder of the game. Again: I call that good old cattenachio, while you can call it what ever you want, depending on the game you watched. Certainly not this one...)

Edit: It could be also that you didn´t read comprehensively. I talked about the tactics after Italy took the lead in the 50th minute. But it´s not my fault if you don´t read the posts you criticise completely.

TRENDING THREADS