• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FIFA World Cup 2014

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s basically because he is fair-play, no nonsense, and still highly talented... The 1% of sportstars kids could really look up to.

Take the new Müller OTOH: A loudspeaker, arrogant beyond help. A diver and pretender at times too. This guy won´t make a long career like Klose. While Klose is God, Müller feels like one. That´s the difference...
yeah,he is really pathetic,I hope he won't receive any award this Cup:eek:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Omg, just seeing the WC final of 1990. Didn´t recall GER needed a RC and doubtful PK to win. The way this team is praised from time to time... Highly overrated. I think soccer was worst from early 90s to early 00s (with the all time low being the 0-0 1994 final of BRA vs ITA)... Just ugly.

Edit: Make that 2 RCs. One around the end of regulation with circa 5 mins to go... If I was Fifa I would sit 22 refs at a table give them dices and the players watch when they role them.... Jesus soccer is worse than I ever thought...

And Argentina missed several players in the final because of injuries and suspensions (Caniggia among others). I wasn't born by then but my father told me this. Also Argentina was by far the best team that World Cup.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Omg, just seeing the WC final of 1990. Didn´t recall GER needed a RC and doubtful PK to win. The way this team is praised from time to time... Highly overrated. I think soccer was worst from early 90s to early 00s (with the all time low being the 0-0 1994 final of BRA vs ITA)... Just ugly.

Edit: Make that 2 RCs. One around the end of regulation with circa 5 mins to go... If I was Fifa I would sit 22 refs at a table give them dices and the players watch when they role them.... Jesus soccer is worse than I ever thought...

I don't think Germany 1990 was overrated,was a really great team and those games were more closer because teams in that days had way more quality players.Browse the players list from the teams that were present at WC 1990 and you'll see that are stacked with talent.England was fielding players like Shilton,Pearce,Bryan Robson,Waddle,Beardsley,Lineker,Barnes,Platt,Gascoigne just an example.Brazil,Argentina,Italy,Holland,Spain were insane here,even the underdogs were fielding players like Hagi,Valderrama,Toni Polster,Scifo,Limpar,Stoijkovic,Francescoli http://www.thefifaworldcups.com/teams/1990-ITALY-SQUADS.htm

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
yeah,he is really pathetic,I hope he won't receive any award this Cup:eek:

No,no you forgot that today is 13 july and Thomas is wearing number 13 on his shirt.Today he''ll score 2 goals to gain the best scorer title at this WC edition + FIFA's Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.I'm sorry for James,but this is Muller WC.:D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
MBotero said:
No,no you forgot that today is 13 july and Thomas is wearing number 13 on his shirt.Today he''ll score 2 goals to gain the best scorer title at this WC edition + FIFA's Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.I'm sorry for James,but this is Muller WC.:D
Lol this is a nightmare final for me Germany vs Argentina lol:eek:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Messi another great player needed 32 shots to score his first WC goal. Same weak opponents, same talented players around him...
Messi did not have the same players around him. He played for Argentina. Klose played for Germany.

Germany smashed Argentina 4-0 last world cup which shows the gulf.

And because Messi plays for a top heavy team like Argentina and not all round worldbeaters like Germany he is forced to play all over the pitch.

Klose just stands up top and relies on others to feed him the ball then he scores tap ins. If Messi played that role for Germany he could have scored 16 goals in this world cup alone. When Messi wants to score for Argentina - as all his goals in this wc show, he has to take the ball outside the area and do it himself.

Besides Messi has just as many world cup goals as Klose had at his age anyway.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
... I am already overfed after circa 25 games I watched. I fully understand the US public. Back to business. MLB now, NFL later... and the US fans are right. What else can I say?
Correct. Again, soccer purists will yell at me, but I stand by what I wrote.

BTW, I once read most of the MLS success comes with the spanish speaking population. I guess you can´t convince hardcore football fans with those knock out round games, right?
Again, correct.

The number of Spanish speaking fans depends on the city. I would not say "most" though definitely higher than other sports. I have been to quite a few Portland Timbers matches. I'd say maybe a quarter are fans have a Latino background, maybe less, maybe more. There was talk when the team came into MLS about targeted ad campaigns, even some print media in Spanish, but I never say anything like that. I would not be surprised if the LA Galaxy for example had a high percentage of Latino fans..

But you know what, I'm good with that. Fans are fans to me. I'm kind of a world without borders guy. But it won't make soccer pass up other sports here. We have just as many foreigners who "convert" to NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc. as those who remain loyal to soccer. Something I am sure you understand why.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
theyoungest said:
David Luiz is in FIFA's team of the tournament. These guys know their football :eek:

Maybe they choose them by their transfer price:eek:
Anyway let's move to the things that mater:

Germany: Neuer - Lahm, Hummels, Boateng, Howedes - Schweinsteiger, Khedira - Muller, Kroos, Ozil - Klose

Argentina: Romero - Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Rojo - Biglia, Mascherano, Perez - Messi, Higuain, Lavezzi

So Germany will play in 10 man again,poor guys they feel too strong so they want to level the field.But maybe i'm wrong and Ozil will fly today.
My prediction is that Die Mannschaft will crush Argentina i expect at least 3 goals from them.
Deutschland vor!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
David Luiz is in FIFA's team of the tournament. These guys know their football :eek:

Absolutely unbelievable, the Dutch were rolling about.

My heart would love to see Messi stun the world and get that damn Maradonna monkey off his back, but my head says the Germans will win 3-0 or better.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
arghh for whom to cheer:eek:
If only nederland was here:(

Hopefuly it wont be terrible match!
maybe I will cheer for germany,it has to be a century since their last WC win,no?

Flamin said:
Best game of the tournament from Argentina, by far. Same goes for Messi. Coincidence?

Probably because Germany is the perfect opponent for their style of playing.

They seem to be sitting on the ball and hoping for a dramatic attack to score rather than the careful, meticulous offense of Germany.

They've both been able to produce chances that way, though.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Flamin said:
Best game of the tournament from Argentina, by far. Same goes for Messi. Coincidence?

Probably because Germany is the perfect opponent for their style of playing.
I agree,but still pretty boring (otoh good on Final standards:p)

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It reminded me of 1982 Schumacher against France when he knocked the player out in similar fashion.

I said as much on a football forum just after it happened.
The forum was then flooded with German posters saying there was clearly no foul, and lots of others mocking them for being chauvinists

They're just like the uruguayans claiming Suarez didn't bite anyone and it's all a conspiracy :D

It's like Lance said many many times, we just hate him because he's american

TRENDING THREADS