• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Filippo Ganna Discussion Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Considering the situation his team is in i wouldn't be surprised if Ganna now abandons the race. Personally i would like to see him race and try some more. We'll see.
With the diminished sprint field and his form right now he might still have a crack at the (very few) remaining sprint stages. I might be missing something, but why would he abandon? Probably not to get ready for Lombardia :)

Perhaps, but he missed that extra bit of legs (or confidence) to stay with VdP on Poggio. And he'd probably get dropped in the descent even if he could stay with him.
I believe winning a Monument or a road WC would require an extra step up.

I think that's a bit harsh. You said he wouldn't be able to challenge. He was 2nd and beat Van Aert and Pogacar, I think that was challenging enough.

I think that's a bid harsh. You said he wouldn't be able to challenge. He was 2nd and beat Van Aert and Pogacar, I think that was challenging enough.
You watch MvdP fly away and you think "omg nobody is ever beating that" but then it's almost illegal to win MSR even just a 2nd time these days.

I really hope Ganna tries RvV next year as well and just goes in a long range attack.

Ganna continues a really great year, massive overall improvement. Less dominant in TTs than previous years, which I think may be a trend going forward (Evenepoel and Tarling lol). That said, a string of excellent one day results, some surprisingly good sprints, and some nice GC results early season and in Wallonie.

He's turned into a complete cyclist, I think. I hope he focuses on road next year and making that next step to truly challenge the classics guys, though I wonder if that'll be hampered by the Olympics.

There's some pressure from the Italian federation to perform at very high level on the track because it's basically the only cycling discipline bringing top results at the moment. That's why he's still riding the track WC even if winning another gold medal changes virtually nothing in his palmares / legacy going forward.