• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Filippo Ganna Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I was really looking forward to seeing how fast Fil could ride at the Kolodruma so soon after the Giro. Brad McGee wrote the book on this topic by, dare I say, humiliating Sir Wiggo in the 2002 Madchester Commie Games pursuit final only days after finishing the Tour, which included a stage win (on a day that saw all four Aussies in the Tour finish in the top eight of the stage!). McGee's win is a scenario I like to point out to riders (young and old) when they think they haven't got their "taper" right.

Reactions: SafeBet and Koronin
It's hard to imagine that he can't be an elite rider in a race like PR or the Flemish classics either. Probably will largely depend on how long and how serious he wants to keep riding on the track.
I hope he goes the Viviani route and only does Track during an Olympic year. He really wants to take back the IP world record at the Track WC, that's one of his big goals. Interesting to hear that he said before the race that his body was fine, but that he was mentally tired after this season with multiple goals both on the road and on the track.
I think it's no coincidence that he was at his most dominant last year when he didn't do any track cycling after the early season.

Tbh I'm also not entirely sure what to expect from him on the road and we should be a bit careful just expecting him to ride around like Cancellara.

There's plenty of great ITTers that didn't do all that much in one day races. I don't know what Gannas power profile looks like, but Cancellara both had underrated endurance and puncheur ability.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's hard to imagine that he can't be an elite rider in a race like PR or the Flemish classics either. Probably will largely depend on how long and how serious he wants to keep riding on the track.
Unfortunately, he isn't doing PR, while I feel it's the perfect moment to try it out and see if it's something... He's 25 and if he wants to learn how to win, he should gain some experience so in the next 5 years (should be his best years) he has a good chance to win it.
  • If it goes better than expected and Ganna has the cobble fever, he only needs to wait 6 months to have another try.
  • if he has bad fortune and e.g. crashes, there is a whole winter to get back in shape.

Unfortunately, he isn't doing PR, while I feel it's the perfect moment to try it out and see if it's something... He's 25 and if he wants to learn how to win, he should gain some experience so in the next 5 years (should be his best years) he has a good chance to win it.
  • If it goes better than expected and Ganna has the cobble fever, he only needs to wait 6 months to have another try.
  • if he has bad fortune and e.g. crashes, there is a whole winter to get back in shape.

The big man's next goal is to beat Lambie's record at sea level and then to smash it in Tibet.

Tbh I'm also not entirely sure what to expect from him on the road and we should be a bit careful just expecting him to ride around like Cancellara.

There's plenty of great ITTers that didn't do all that much in one day races. I don't know what Gannas power profile looks like, but Cancellara both had underrated endurance and puncheur ability.
Ganna isn't explosive for an IP guy, someone like Jonathan Milan who has a great sprint is probably a lot better in that regard.
Peak shape Ganna could probably just ride people off his wheel on the Poggio...

TRENDING THREADS