• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Flat pecs = ectomorph ?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed a pattern that athletes that are alleged to have taken steroids and or HGH have muscular bodies, but flat pectorals.

Shouldn't a natural mesomorph have large pectoral muscles ?
Is a muscular body with flat pectorals a "tell" that an athlete is using anabolics ?

0.jpg

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Another athlete that some people suspect :

Img222468754.jpg

They all have buff bodies, but flat chests.
Am I seeing something here, or am I making something out of nothing ?

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
I have noticed a pattern that athletes that are alleged to have taken steroids and or HGH have muscular bodies, but flat pectorals.

Is a muscular body with flat pectorals a "tell" that an athlete is using anabolics ?

0.jpg

No, it isn't. But many guys who take steroids have their delts and traps (lots of androgen receptors in this area) blow up so that can in some cases give that illusion. It also very much depends on what kind of doses we are talking about (which will vary between sports).

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Andynonomous said:

0.jpg

The kid on the left is an ectomorph, I would have thought?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Looks just aren't very predictive at all of PED use, barring obvious stuff like bodybuilders, NFL monsters etc which have physiques that are close to unobtainable without PEDs.

Cyclists, tennis players, football players etc have cleanly attainable bodies in terms of lean body mass.

The bodyfat some cyclists have is a different story.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
You will only get excess size on a muscle group if you work it , If those flat chested guys started bench pressing some decent weight they would soon develop in that area.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Andynonomous said:

0.jpg

The kid on the left is an ectomorph, I would have thought?

That's the point.

I noticed that there is a pattern between ectomorphs and steroids = buff + flat chest.
The second picture, the guy (presumably the same guy as on the left after steroids) is buff, but has a flat chest.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I must admit I am not an expert when it comes to male pectoral muscles but in most of these pics the pectoral muscles look perfectly normal to me?

Artificial Pectorals :
main-qimg-dd4adb589b7508edc8ee071358b37da0

Artificial Flat :
mesomorph.jpg

Natural Pecs :
generaldiedatdawn25-1.jpg

Natural flat :
article-1055880-02AB0C7B00000578-546_224x423.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

nadal, agassi, lance, all look pretty natural to me on those photos.
buffy? more like healthy, well trained.
flat chest? hardly.
as for phelps, his pecs are probably the least suspicious part of his body.

Big biceps are a more telling sign of PED use, especially testosterone. When you see Master's racers with big biceps, they aren't just doing curls in the gym. That's testosterone therapy at work. I've read that the biceps are the most difficult muscles to develop. but with PED use they grow out of proportion to the work needed to get them big.

The pectorals? Like a previous poster stated, it's a matter of not doing specific exercises to target this area. What would a professional cyclist need a huge and defined chest for, anyway?