• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

For the historic value (and some humor) - Papp's epo website

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
Please don't associate him with Philadelphia...we don't want him.

And nobody else really wants to be associated with Philly, so win/win for everyone. I mean, you guys freaking snowballed Santa, bunch of hooligans...

A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
Philly and close surrounding area does alot for cycling in America..so no I don't

Of course I'm sure you are referring to other sports in town, and our fans, who do the same thing as other fans in America, but since we threw some snowballs at Santa Clause around 30 years ago...we get a bad rap. Every sports writer in the country when they have nothing to write about uses Philly fans for some "inspiration", it's such lazy journalism
The snowballing incident is not the only instance of think necked, beer bellied morons being complete assholes to outsiders. You are forgetting the Mary Kay convention where a bunch of Philly wives rioted because someone suggested that their makeup was a bit garish. I am pretty sure that "class" is an antonym for "Philly."

A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
Read post 22..your a bit late to the bash Philly party

No, there is still plenty of ammunition if you want to insult Philly. I still remember fondly 2004 when your trashy "journalists" wrote all sorts of insulting stories about Charlotte and the Panthers before out playoff game...then we came in, ended your season, and sent you home to swill beer and reminisce about when you could actually back up your talk with a walk.

This is the city that opened its arms to Vick, keep it classy Philly!

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
He's from Picksburgh, dammit.

Come on over and yins guyses might see him don air on da sauce side!

BTW, Philly fans truly suck. And if you can get from Philly to Ohio in a 5hr drive, you need your license suspended!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
The snowballing incident is not the only instance of think necked, beer bellied morons being complete assholes to outsiders. You are forgetting the Mary Kay convention where a bunch of Philly wives rioted because someone suggested that their makeup was a bit garish. I am pretty sure that "class" is an antonym for "Philly."

I'm not forgetting it...why on earth would I know about a Mary Kay convention...LOL

My girl is even laughing at that one...she never heard of it either.

But again these things happen in other major cities..NYC, LA, Chicago...but people always seem to pick on Philly

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
No, there is still plenty of ammunition if you want to insult Philly. I still remember fondly 2004 when your trashy "journalists" wrote all sorts of insulting stories about Charlotte and the Panthers before out playoff game...then we came in, ended your season, and sent you home to swill beer and reminisce about when you could actually back up your talk with a walk.

This is the city that opened its arms to Vick, keep it classy Philly!

Since Charlotte was new to this thing we call the Playoffs in NFL, that happens between both cities...trash talk some in the press, take some Mayoral bets, things like that. We walked fine the year after that since we played in the Super Bowl, while Carolina was not in the playoffs as usual.

The city did not open it's arms to Vick, the Eagles did(As did the NFL). On our sportstalk radio station it was mainly people against him coming here. With supporters sprinkled in.

A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
Since Charlotte was new to this thing we call the Playoffs in NFL, that happens between both cities...trash talk some in the press, take some Mayoral bets, things like that. We walked fine the year after that since we played in the Super Bowl, while Carolina was not in the playoffs as usual.

The city did not open it's arms to Vick, the Eagles did(As did the NFL). On our sportstalk radio station it was mainly people against him coming here. With supporters sprinkled in.

Read the bolded section carefully. Explain the significance. Always next year, right? Loser team, fits the whole city gestalt pretty well I'd say. That 1960 NFL championship was a long time ago...

A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
I'm not forgetting it...why on earth would I know about a Mary Kay convention...LOL

My girl is even laughing at that one...she never heard of it either.

But again these things happen in other major cities..NYC, LA, Chicago...but people always seem to pick on Philly

I made it up. The comedic point was the suggestion that the Philly women were "think necked, beer bellied morons." Man, I had to explain a joke again...I guess it isn't a joke if people don't get it?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Read the bolded section carefully. Explain the significance. Always next year, right? Loser team, fits the whole city gestalt pretty well I'd say. That 1960 NFL championship was a long time ago...

You guys won the Super Bowl the year you beat us!!!...oh wait.. No you didn't and could not even get back to the playoffs again..thats pretty significant.

How the heck did this thread go from Joe Papp to me defending the Eagles..I do that all day at work to the loser Cowboys fans at the hospital. :D..Course football is a better topic then Papp anyday.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I made it up. The comedic point was the suggestion that the Philly women were "think necked, beer bellied morons." Man, I had to explain a joke again...I guess it isn't a joke if people don't get it?

No just thought you were a big Mary Kay guy, well not you per say, your wife maybe told you about it.

My Philly girl is only thick in one good area :D

A

Anonymous

mikeNphilly said:
You guys won the Super Bowl the year you beat us!!!...oh wait.. No you didn't and could not even get back to the playoffs again..thats pretty significant.

How the heck did this thread go from Joe Papp to me defending the Eagles..I do that all day at work to the loser Cowboys fans at the hospital. :D..Course football is a better topic then Papp anyday.

Yea, we are equal on the Super Bowl win issue.:D

Funny thing is that we battle loser Cowboy fans here too. They're like a case of the clap that just won't go away.

Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, we are equal on the Super Bowl win issue.:D

Funny thing is that we battle loser Cowboy fans here too. They're like a case of the clap that just won't go away.

Go figure, TFF the ultimate JP fanboy derailing a thread about him. BTW, nobody got your Mary Kay reference because a convention would be made up of people from outside of Philly primarily, Charlotte I'm guessing.

A

Anonymous

JRTinMA said:
Go figure, TFF the ultimate JP fanboy derailing a thread about him. BTW, nobody got your Mary Kay reference because a convention would be made up of people from outside of Philly primarily, Charlotte I'm guessing.

Irony is not something you understand, is it? You seem to miss it at every turn. Dang. I hope you didn't procreate, because we need to cull the herd of people who just don't understand irony. (Plus, the thread is not about JP, its about the website he used. Understanding the topic of any given conversation is pretty tough for you, huh little fella?}

Oh, and that last part...well, that's why the people from Philly got into a fight. See, the Philly delegation were the ones who got into the fight with the rest of the people there, but that wasn't supposed to be the real punch line. The real commentary was about them being "think necked, beer bellied morons." That's something I would think you were intimately familiar with. Then again, I am not sure people like you understand their reflection in the mirror, so...

As to geography, I have known some incredibly intelligent people from MA. What happened to you?

for clarification, according to joe himself in an interview posted to THIS forum a few weeks ago, his early childhood was spent in ohio and the family moved to the pittsburgh area where it appears he spent most of his adult life. ie his mastery of the English language would be influenced by ohio/western PA origins. not philadelphia, a 5 hour drive from the p-burgh confluence. (i've lived in PA my entire life, i didn't need google maps for that one although they estimate it at 5:15) anymore questions? :confused:

i live in the philadelphia suburbs and can literally see the skyline from my workplace. philly is approx the 5th largest city in the US. only an imbecile would assign character traits to an entire city based upon the actions of a few. it isn't perfect or utopian and nobody said it was. sports fans are overzealous, okay. :rolleyes: parts of the city are absolutely fabulous. it oozes cultural significance from an historical perspective, has countless museums, numerous highly regarded universities, endless arts/entertainment, and world class hospitals. i've been to charlotte and i like it too but it feels like a big town compared to philly, hardly worth comparing the two. bike riding/racing is surprisingly popular in the region when considering the poor road conditions and the harsh winters. the philadelphia area peloton's resiliency is something to be proud of. if you get your jollies from trashing other people who love bikes then by all means, flame away.

it's not that i can't take a joke or handle good natured ribbing either. i think that someone is having a little fun with this thread steering it away from any intelligent discussion of papp or his old website. a fairly obvious pattern that has emerged.

I'd remind people to keep on topic, but is that really the point anymore?

As an aside, I'm pretty certain that Joe's sentencing has been pushed back, again, until sometime in 2011. I'm completely interpreting on my own here, but my guess is that whatever he told the feds in regards to his case is proving valuable enough that the court has decided it needs to remain sealed.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What is funny about Papp? He is without humor. His newest thread is about Albert Speer. That is OK Speer did his 20 year suspension unlike Herr Von Braun.
Papp needs to lighten up maybe read Peanuts or something. Charles Schultz had way more wisdom than A. Speer. Schultz was a humanist and Speer was an unknowing accomplice.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd remind people to keep on topic, but is that really the point anymore?

As an aside, I'm pretty certain that Joe's sentencing has been pushed back, again, until sometime in 2011. I'm completely interpreting on my own here, but my guess is that whatever he told the feds in regards to his case is proving valuable enough that the court has decided it needs to remain sealed.

i think that's a good guess. i think that joe's overconfident and sloppy drug dealing is paying huge dividends for anti-doping efforts. i don't see him as a crusader at all. he is opportunistic through and through but it doesn't much matter, these events still contribute to the betterment of the sport. it looks to me like a very happy accident. more and more each day he's looking like one of the early dominoes to fall leading up to significant event.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
i think that's a good guess. i think that joe's overconfident and sloppy drug dealing is paying huge dividends for anti-doping efforts. i don't see him as a crusader at all. he is opportunistic through and through but it doesn't much matter, these events still contribute to the betterment of the sport. it looks to me like a very happy accident. more and more each day he's looking like one of the early dominoes to fall leading up to significant event.

interesting. He set up all the dominoes and then kicked them over. I do not know what you call him, simple maybe Good on Joe for bringing down a lot of cheaters. As long as Joe does not teach his doping secrets to others, he has helped cycling immensley.
Maybe he can start selling a bracelet to cover his legal fees and help himself back on his feet. Sell them at the quizanos tou toc sea otter. Good on ya joe!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
interesting. He set up all the dominoes and then kicked them over. I do not know what you call him, simple maybe Good on Joe for bringing down a lot of cheaters. As long as Joe does not teach his doping secrets to others, he has helped cycling immensley.
Maybe he can start selling a bracelet to cover his legal fees and help himself back on his feet. Sell them at the quizanos tou toc sea otter. Good on ya joe!

he didn't set up anything flickster apart from his website, he got caught doping and dealing and opened up rather than make the feds start a 'witch hunt' and 'waste' valuable american tax payers dollars..but bracelets are blazé and so 90's, losers....:D