• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Former National Champions

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I would think they'd all want to have the bands. I always look for them because it's a sign that they've got a big win in the past and sometimes I'm surprised who I see with them.

I'm disappointed that the Aussies don't have their bands O'Grady, McEwen (who always had them up until Radioshack) as if anything, it's good promotion for the country.

Well, the all certainly have the right to add them. In the end it's up to the rider and the team if they want to have them or not. I guess for some teams they want to jerseys to be the same since it probably makes it easier and cheaper I guess. There might also be traditionalists who think that the bands should only be for former world champions.

Speaking of world champions bands, that's also something that isn't used as much anymore. I know that in the past you were allowed to have world champion bands on your jersey regardless of what cycling world title you had won. This ment you saw those bands all time time on riders that one some type of junior or U-23 world championship. You were even allowed to use the bands during road races even if the championship you won was on MTB or Cyclocross etc.

I'm not sure if they changed the rules or if it simply went out of style to have them. Now you mostly see the world champion bands on former winners of the pro Worlds.

NickBVK said:
It makes sense that you can only wear the bands you earned in the discipline you earned them in.

exactly. stybar talked about that a few months ago. iirc he said "i miss my stripes but i have done nothing to deserve using them on the road"

about former national champion bands i also like them and think its pretty cool for a guy to be able to show how proud he is about being a previous champion of his country.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I like to see the riders wearing them. Only in the discipline they won them in of course, but I like to see them.

The only exception to the "only in the discipline they won them in" rule for me though would be Will Walker, if he was still racing. He won the 2006 Australian U23 road championships, so by that rule he could only wear the bands while racing as an under 23.

I would make an exception here though because the race was combined with the elite category. Walker soloed about 15km to cross the line first, but because he was 20 at the time, and the guy who crossed second was also under 23, it was the third guy across the line who got the jersey and the right to wear the bands for open races. A bit harsh, I always thought, so I would let Walker wear the bands for open races...

NickBVK said:
I'm disappointed that the Aussies don't have their bands O'Grady, McEwen (who always had them up until Radioshack) as if anything, it's good promotion for the country.

reckon the McEwen thing is that little yellow band on the radioshack jersey - someone may get grumpy if you tamper with that little band.

i like the national bands as it makes it easier to pick the riders - like McEwen. when all are in oakleys and helmets it makes it difficult to tell in the bunch. Rojas is a good example - I have no idea who's who in Movistar, but in the bunch sprints at the tour, picking Rojas is easy (compared to Macato in yesterday's finish - even liggett thought it was someone else!)