• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Forum Login

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe it is just me, but I am not crying about people unable to log in because they have ads blocked any more than I would cry about someone who cannot get into a movie because he did not buy a ticket.

Now if the log in required Javascript or Facebook or Twitter or Flash or something then that would be complaint worthy.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Maybe it is just me, but I am not crying about people unable to log in because they have ads blocked any more than I would cry about someone who cannot get into a movie because he did not buy a ticket.

Now if the log in required Javascript or Facebook or Twitter or Flash or something then that would be complaint worthy.

no, it's not just you. I realize that advertising pays for this, so I get your analogy. So, while I won't cry about it, I will mention that I understand my behavior well enough to know that I won't log in as much (though temporarily turning off adblock worked the second time I tried it).

It's just that the ads are so psychedelic that I was about to swallow my tongue. Maybe I'm just sensitive to light or something...

131313 said:
no, it's not just you. I realize that advertising pays for this, so I get your analogy. So, while I won't cry about it, I will mention that I understand my behavior well enough to know that I won't log in as much (though temporarily turning off adblock worked the second time I tried it).

It's just that the ads are so psychedelic that I was about to swallow my tongue. Maybe I'm just sensitive to light or something...

A long long time ago I turned off animated images on my browsers because of CN. The constant flashing and movement was annoying as heck.

josnor said:
Thanks for all your comments. For obvious reasons I can't recommend solutions to make the login process work with adblock, though on a completely unrelated topic those of you who use script blockers may want to add exceptions for futurecdn.net (as noted above; we use this to serve Javascript, CSS and images on the site and that's all), sl.cyclingnews.com and gigya.com (used to provide social login functionality).

Can I just say to those of you complaining about the supposed tracking this will enable us to do: as far as I'm aware, if you login using a social network your social identity isn't used to track your behaviour on our site. Furthermore, if you choose not to use this method of logging in then there is essentially no difference from before, apart from obviously needing to go to the main site to log in.

We'll look into the Opera bug, and any others raised, as a top priority.

In the light of the Race Radio fiasco I am not sure that any of us want out CN activity linked to any other social media activity.

L'arriviste said:
Nightmare for those of us who prefer to pick and choose what scripts and ad content we allow. If you don't allow the futurecdn.net domain, the login process is an endless loop.

I had to play around for ages to work out which script I had to allow to get me to log in.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Totally ludicrous analogy, and you know it. What, did you have some time spare without an argument and thought you'd go for a quick one here?:D

As I wrote, and you presumably read, I only installed the blocker when they hit us with the in-thread ads. I don't block anything anywhere else, there's no need, and consider that I've more than paid my ad-seeing dues on the webz.;)

A

Anonymous

josnor said:
Can I just say to those of you complaining about the supposed tracking this will enable us to do: as far as I'm aware, if you login using a social network your social identity isn't used to track your behaviour on our site. Furthermore, if you choose not to use this method of logging in then there is essentially no difference from before, apart from obviously needing to go to the main site to log in.

Some of trackers on the Forum, that came in with the adverts system in forum:

DoubleClick
Google AdSense
Google Analytics
NedStat
Omniture

On the news site even few more!

And now with Fckb you've also add facebook social plugin.

Sorry to be skeptic to increasing number of black box systems(the ones where i don't know details of its manipulation with my data) that have access to my data flow on internet, but it think my skepticism is valid.

P.S. You might have a bug (i don't know if it's intentional). when i log out of forum the news site still says i'm logged in - when i proceed to the forum it says i'm not. maybe the source is cache or maybe on the other hand you have two systems working together and no updated together well?

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
mp4-4a said:
P.S. You might have a bug (i don't know if it's intentional). when i log out of forum the news site still says i'm logged in - when i proceed to the forum it says i'm not. maybe the source is cache or maybe on the other hand you have two systems working together and no updated together well?
Good spot, I'll look into that.

131313 said:

^^^^^^^^^This is me too.

The adblock defeat is coded to a couple of common web browsers. I've tried two uncommon browsers that have adblocking and the site can't detect it. Switch to Linux and PM me. Or, maybe run a Linux distro in a VM for those that already work with VM's.

Also, as another post mentions, CN keeps adding features that do track users. That's how the advertising works. They can't run this thing for free so I'm not horrified by it. But, it's not for me.

Maybe consider a subscription model that turns the adverts off instead? I'd pay for that.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have no trouble logging into the CN forums. Not sure what is happening but it must be really dramatic to make someone claim that they will never post here again unless it is double special. :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
The new login system is horrible, certainly not easier.

Dutchsmurf said:
A system that requires you to go read a forum to find out why you suddenly can't log in anymore, sure isn't easier indeed.

mewmewmew13 said:
Most of the time I have to enter my data three times at least before it accepts me...I keep getting the "invalid" cr@p

Invest some time in this (below) and it won't be a problem.

ElChingon said:
Here's a viable solution for at least Firefox users, now they can track my usage on CN and CN only :D

Setting up Multiple Profiles using Firefox

Remember your are a cycling news website not a social media outlet even if some of your stories read as such. Aweee no more likes :(

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Invest some time in this (below) and it won't be a problem.

I already fixed it by turning off Adblock, logging in and turning it back on. And investing time to be able to post of a cycling forum isn't really something I think will get you many new members.

Dutchsmurf said:
A system that requires you to go read a forum to find out why you suddenly can't log in anymore, sure isn't easier indeed.

yeah totally agree, i had to search the forum what the problem was, then find a way to log in, what a way to attract people to contribute...:eek:

let me pay for a simple publicity free site, i'll do it right now ;)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Pentagon style dark arts trying to stop people logging on I reckon. CN not covering up UFO sightings and miltary secrets so I 'm kind of puzzled why they make it so hard..

But maybe attempting to stop people infiltrating with adblockers ha! I should of guessed. :rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Another great solution to this login issue is save your CN cookies from a working Firefox profile and then move it to where ever else you need it and it lets you login :D Yes you could also use the Firefox sync feature if you don't want to get your hands dirty. :p

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I can't log in with Explorer. I just get that circle 'timer' thing spinning around for ever, but nothing happens. Very annoying.
I'm still logged into Firefox, but i find FF a bit ugly

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I cannot log in from any browser on my computer, I have logged in this time from another computer. I used to be able to log in using Internet Explorer but even that does not work now. THE LOG IN SYSTEM IS A LOAD OF ****. I will probably not log in again for a long time because of this. Whoever made the decision to implement this system should quit because they are incompetent.
I am not missing the place much because of the stupidity of cycling in general but still probably would like to post when the season starts.
CHANGE THIS LOG IN SYSTEM.

TRENDING THREADS