• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Four to seven more doping cases possible before Tour start

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Maybe as each team comes up they will have a reality TV-style selection where the spotlight falls on each rider in turn and Pat McQuaid takes the Simon Cowell* role of 'you're through to the Prologue' or 'you failed.'

* judge on British (and US i think?) reality TV.

Thats a great idea!! It could be called 'Dope Idol'!

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Rumor mill says its the following

Evans
Evans
Evans
Evans

4 positive tests for one person. And you wondered why he was magically able to 'attack'

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alexzulle said:
Rumor mill says its the following

Evans
Evans
Evans
Evans

4 positive tests for one person. And you wondered why he was magically able to 'attack'

And would this "rumour mill" have any legit sources?

As for implying Evans doesn't attack, he's a pretty attacking rider....just not at the TDF.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Well according to 98% of the threads on this website real legitimate sources are not required to prove someone was doping, only jealousy of success.

A

Anonymous

Alexzulle said:
Well according to 98% of the threads on this website real legitimate sources are not required to prove someone was doping, only jealousy of success.

Oh dear, another one....

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Someone here (sorry, forgot who) posted a 'theory' about what was or wasn't in the interests of the UCI in terms of who gets busted. It'll be interesting to see just what 'level' of rider these names turn out to be. If the theory is right then it won't be any established names from today's pantheon (like Cancellara et al), but less known names, whose transgressions won't have a major impact.

Looking forward to this like my next toothache.

They could very well be saving a big name for Saturday morning.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree , if they know who they are it should be announced now, not right when the Tour is about to start. I guess it is sought to be some sort of punishment for the team by forcing them to start the race in disadvantage if they have a doped cyclist

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
codrutc said:
I agree , if they know who they are it should be announced now, not right when the Tour is about to start. I guess it is sought to be some sort of punishment for the team by forcing them to start the race in disadvantage if they have a doped cyclist

First the riders must be told. Only then can they announce it.

And it's very normal for riders to not pick up the phone, thus delaying the process.

Alexzulle said:
Right. And the Weekly World News is actual investigative journalism too.

You insult your namesake's legacy with such comments. :mad:

Zulle98.jpg

Andre.J said:
Kreuziger was there too

Wealthy family, so he should OK.;)

Having just watched the team presentation in Monaco, I don't think I've ever seen so many somber, not to say, downright miserable looking blokes.
Nerves? Maybe, but you would have thought they were lined up for execution, not a roll of honour.

The only guy who looked genuinely happy and carefree?
Would be a real dark horse pick: Frank Schleck.

Even Lance was a bit subdued, although, for some mysterious reason, those nasty "Frenchies" gave him the biggest cheer....
....another myth for the bin/can.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Even Lance was a bit subdued, although, for some mysterious reason, those nasty "Frenchies" gave him the biggest cheer....
....another myth for the bin/can.

Fanboy explanation: "Those weren't frenchies. It was Monaco. Completely different"

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Lloyd Mondory throws some wood into the fire by saying that since he rode with Frank Schleck in youth categories and thus knows him well, he's not surprised at all that Frank's career wasn't a natural progression like is normal in clean athletes, but instead a very sudden and very huge jump from average to top rider around the time where his payments to Fuentes were made.

He also threw some poison Cancellara's way

You can just feel the love. It's like woodstock.....99

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
If Dan Martin is one of the suspects, then I will be lining up behind BigBoat in the everyone is doping camp. A young guy with a lot of talent on a vocally anti-doping team. I am not innocent but I would finally turn to the dark side if this is true.

agree with you. dan martin is one the riders i follow. Personally I don't think he doped just listing riders who were pulled from the tour following the ASO announcement

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
Lloyd Mondory throws some wood into the fire by saying that since he rode with Frank Schleck in youth categories and thus knows him well, he's not surprised at all that Frank's career wasn't a natural progression like is normal in clean athletes, but instead a very sudden and very huge jump from average to top rider around the time where his payments to Fuentes were made.

He also threw some poison Cancellara's way

You can just feel the love. It's like woodstock.....99

Wow, it is getting good and nasty. Funny though, here in the states there is little to no mention of any of the recent activity. I guess they don't want to sully any reputations before the big return?

Thoughtforfood said:
Wow, it is getting good and nasty. Funny though, here in the states there is little to no mention of any of the recent activity. I guess they don't want to sully any reputations before the big return?

I don't think it's that kind of conspiracy TFF, it's just that in America we just don't have any kind of comparable to Europe media coverage of cycling. All we have is VeloNews which I think is completely terrible and refuse to read because it's crap. When the big networks like Associated Press and Reuters cover cycling they just pick the biggest stories off the wire and reprint them; they will never ever pick up the good stories which are interviews with and coverage of obscure (to Americans) riders. Guess I should quit whining, learn to speak Flemish, and get a subscription to Het Niewsblad. :D

A

Anonymous

BikeCentric said:
I don't think it's that kind of conspiracy TFF, it's just that in America we just don't have any kind of comparable to Europe media coverage of cycling. All we have is VeloNews which I think is completely terrible and refuse to read because it's crap. When the big networks like Associated Press and Reuters cover cycling they just pick the biggest stories off the wire and reprint them; they will never ever pick up the good stories which are interviews with and coverage of obscure (to Americans) riders. Guess I should quit whining, learn to speak Flemish, and get a subscription to Het Niewsblad. :D

I don't know, I remember last year and the years before reading and seeing stories about the busts before the tour.....then again, I read cyclingnews.com and have for years. I am wondering if my 41 year old memory is starting to become fuzzier. Hey, did I take my Geritol today?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
39*23t said:
agree with you. dan martin is one the riders i follow. Personally I don't think he doped just listing riders who were pulled from the tour following the ASO announcement

And he was not present to defend his Irish title last Sunday - with Garmin saying they had him with the team doing the TTT.

But pmcg76 as a fellow Paddy I have my excuses already at hand..

If he had won a stage he is Irish...
If he is busted then he is a 'Plastic Paddy' as he was born in Birmingham ;)

TRENDING THREADS