• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Four to seven more doping cases possible before Tour start

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
I don't think it's that kind of conspiracy TFF, it's just that in America we just don't have any kind of comparable to Europe media coverage of cycling. All we have is VeloNews which I think is completely terrible and refuse to read because it's crap. When the big networks like Associated Press and Reuters cover cycling they just pick the biggest stories off the wire and reprint them; they will never ever pick up the good stories which are interviews with and coverage of obscure (to Americans) riders. Guess I should quit whining, learn to speak Flemish, and get a subscription to Het Niewsblad. :D

There is something in this. My cycling junky girlfriend in Maryland pretty much relies on me for 'news' input, as her web access is seriously challenged due to living on a hill in the woods. I imagine that ordinary fans in the US, as opposed to active cyclists, would primarily get their news input from an English language website like this one.

Over here, we have extensive coverage of all sorts of cycling news in all the daily papers as well as on tv, never mind cycling sites. Then there's the Belgians, who publish even more (written Flemish is identical to Dutch), so we're never short of input.

At least there are excuses for Martin dropping out and goals for the future rather than no-one saying anything. As far as the TTT goes i would have thought that Maaskant may do better than Martin would have done?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
At least there are excuses for Martin dropping out and goals for the future rather than no-one saying anything. As far as the TTT goes i would have thought that Maaskant may do better than Martin would have done?

No, I agree- I think if there is any truth to this report (and it came from l'Equipe) that there are 4-7 riders then I think it has to do with the a revised test for Dynepo.
The riders and teams would probably only hear it today - so I dont believe it is anyone that got pulled today.

I dont understand why its 4 to 7 cases in the next day or so. Dont they know yet? If the final results were coming back today and it was up to 7 then i could understand - unless some are in the Casper situation from last year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
sherer said:
well unless we get a bombshell Saturday morning looks like this isn't going to happen.

Right after L'equipe reported it, UCI issued a press release that denied the content of the article. I thought everyone had read that already. Anyhow, it could be that there are more cases upcoming, but that do not affect riders on the current TdF rosters.

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:
Right after L'equipe reported it, UCI issued a press release that denied the content of the article. I thought everyone had read that already. Anyhow, it could be that there are more cases upcoming, but that do not affect riders on the current TdF rosters.

I refer everyone back to my repeated comments about the credibility of L'equipe.

A

Anonymous

jackhammer111 said:
I refer everyone back to my repeated comments about the credibility of L'equipe.

I refer everyone back to my repeated comments about the credibility of jackhammer111.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
UCI PR dude Enrico Carpani: "UCI currently has no intention to release more/new doping incidents"

But when they feel like it they will?

Why not say:

"We have no new doping incidents to report"

The way they said it now makes you think that they can but that they will do at their own leisure, cherrypicking the moment to drop a bomb... or not.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:

Why not say:

The way they said it now makes you think that they can but that they will do at their own leisure, cherrypicking the moment to drop a bomb... or not.

Guess it's all PR. They got a passport in which millions and millions of dollars are invested to defend and uphold it's credibility. So it could even be in their interest to gradually release positives. Whenever people start questioning the passport, they release another name. :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm delighted that the widespread pre-race expectation of more names dropping didn't actually happen. Also delighted the 'Sat. morning fall guy' didn't appear either.

What does surprise me a bit, is that none of the usual suspects have yet cried out that Cancellara must be on God knows what to have been able to ride the way he did today. The second half of his race was almost, well, superhuman.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Well, I'm delighted that the widespread pre-race expectation of more names dropping didn't actually happen. Also delighted the 'Sat. morning fall guy' didn't appear either.

What does surprise me a bit, is that none of the usual suspects have yet cried out that Cancellara must be on God knows what to have been able to ride the way he did today. The second half of his race was almost, well, superhuman.

Some things are so obvious as to require no comment what so ever.:D

Amsterhammer said:

Not to defend Cancelllara in any way, but if you want to point out superhuman effort you should look at the first half and not the 2nd. Cancellara has shown himself to be one of the best descenders in the world, like in the Tour last year when CSC-Saxo destroyed Valverde's chances and in the Olympics.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
+1 on that. L'Equipe is a world class newspaper. Simple Jack does not have m-m-much credibility.

This has the smell of a scare tactic. The ASO has used this before.

what are you talking about ASO? UCI handles santions, not ASO.

Unless you're talking about ASO owning L'Equipe?

Franklin said:

Why not say:

With the biological passport there are probably quite a few cases where the legal case isnt quite solid enough to take action at the moment. That may change in the future with future research/samples so maybe that is what he was getting at.

TRENDING THREADS