• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frames with smaller sizes

My daughter is getting interested in riding. She's 10 years old, and a bit over 4 feet tall. I'm trying to find information on smaller road bikes for her to get her used to riding more, and so she and I can spend some more quality time together in a different way. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
At that age I had a Gitane 3-speed racer with 20" wheels, but that was 30 years ago. She might be big enough for one of the XS frame bikes with 650c wheels. For example Cannondale's CAAD 10 womens comes as small as a 44, but I think it has 700c. I know in England Islabikes makes quality children's racers. If in the US, look at REI, they have a Novara Pulse - I know nothing about it other than it should fit.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Marva32 said:
My daughter is getting interested in riding. She's 10 years old, and a bit over 4 feet tall. I'm trying to find information on smaller road bikes for her to get her used to riding more, and so she and I can spend some more quality time together in a different way. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Worth considering how soon your daughter is likely to start growing (soon if like most 10yo girls!), and how tall you expect her to end up (base mostly on height of her mother and take into account tendency towards the mean). If you don't expect her to get too tall too quickly (or are prepared to upgrade when she grows out of it, a 24" (650c) bike would probably be best.
My LBS (in Oz) had some 24" wheel Scott road bikes in the window that looked decently specced for the money. No idea what part of the world you live in but Scott could be worth a look if you have a local dealer. They also do womens specific bikes and I think the Contessa CR1 comes fairly small if you're looking to go all the way to carbon.
The partner of a friend of mine has a Giant in what must be the smallest size feasible with 700c wheels. She can't be a whole lot over 4'4". She has had it much longer than I have known her but I expect it was more of a budget end bike, nevertheless it seems a decent frame.
Good luck.