• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frank Schleck for the Vuelta?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Should he now target the Vuelta?
The course really suits him this year.
What will Riis say? He seemed pretty ****ed with Schleck for abandoning team Saxo and looking to start a new one with KA. Will he be included in the team? He should have enough time to recover.
I also hope Joaquim Rodriguez will only go for stages at this Tour and not the overall, since he is already a fair way back. Should target the Vuelta IMO.
Same goes for Sastre.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
Should he now target the Vuelta?
The course really suits him this year.
What will Riis say? He seemed pretty ****ed with Schleck for abandoning team Saxo and looking to start a new one with KA. Will he be included in the team? He should have enough time to recover.
I also hope Joaquim Rodriguez will only go for stages at this Tour and not the overall, since he is already a fair way back. Should target the Vuelta IMO.
Same goes for Sastre.

dude did you see fraank this morning on the floor. He is hurt bad!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
As for the extent of Frank's injuries, he could recover in time.

If it was only a broken collarbone maybe but with a triple fracture in his shoulder it's probably too much.

His season is probably over - no time to recover for Vuelta, Worlds and Lombardia doesn't make much sense. He needs to recover, put it all behind him and we'll see him at Mallorca Challenge '11.

I think he may as well go ahead and sit it out. It's not as though next year's contract (with Saxo OR the rumored new team) is dependent on results.

Why not just recover FULLY, then see if he feels like some of the 1 day races? Lombardia would suit him, not sure about the course for the road WC.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
No chance at all-He & Andy will be busy putting their brand new team together in the Autumn. Riis care less about the Vuelta anyways

Yes, good chance.

According to the Danish Feltet.dk website which cite the Saxo Bank press officer, Fränk Schleck is ready for the Vuelta. He went back to the hotel after the visit to the emergency room in Valenciennes and had a talk with the riders and staff. There he promised to win the vuelta.

So I think we will se him in september. Then he will also be ready for Lombardy and other classics. Unfortunately he has little chance in this years worlds.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
vuelta? last year they went to vuelta and i never saw him. forgot them. there are only two races for the schlecks every year.

Maybe you didn't see him because he was only in it for 2 stages or so, then left to get surgery on his knee.

The Hitch said:
whats the second
liege bastogne liege?
amstel gold race?
tour de suisse?
luxemburg nationals?

Or maybe Paris-Nice? Flèche Wallonne?

/update: Fränk's shoulder is not broken after all, false information from RTL. It's "just" the collarbone, 3 times

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
whats the second
liege bastogne liege?
amstel gold race?
tour de suisse?
luxemburg nationals?

To be fair, I don't think he actually targeted suisse.
And LBL and AGR are in the same category; ardennes. -- which is his 2nd major goal.
And the National championships come just before the tour, plus with a list of four riders, how much preparation do you really need :p

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
Yes, good chance.

According to the Danish Feltet.dk website which cite the Saxo Bank press officer, Fränk Schleck is ready for the Vuelta. He went back to the hotel after the visit to the emergency room in Valenciennes and had a talk with the riders and staff. There he promised to win the vuelta.

This is what we all do after we break a bone - start talking about how soon we will be back, start planning to be on the turbo in a week, back on the road in three, back to winning form in six. . . it's a way of coping psychologically with the instant transition from athlete to invalid.

TRENDING THREADS