• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frank Schleck's comments

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
...and your theory of Johann thinking teams will allow Frank to simply gain major minutes in the Pyrenees simply because he says he'll be on the downward slope of his form is a master stroke of genius?

Well, we will see. Maybe even then one will say "ah, it doesnt count cos it was a move of desperation". ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Your tone implies that I'm blaming Frank when I plainly stated that I believe Bruyneel is the one at fault. What is your problem?

My problem?? You wanna know what my problem is??! Punks like you is my problem. Coming in here, acting like you know everything when in reality you have no clue. YOU can't handle the truth!!

No seriously though no problem bro. Just trying to point out that one of the reasons Fränk participated in Suisse and battled it out for GC was maybe because he simply really likes the race and wants to honour it, regardless of the consequences on his form. Which is funny because people (not necessarily you) seem to think Schlecks are unable to do so.

TWISI Schleck was smart to race and try to win Suisse. It's one of the most prestigious races and he had a real shot at it. He never had a real shot at winning the Tour anyways and I didn't get the feeling that he was mad or disappointed or anything about probably not being at a top level at the Tour. It'll actually be nice for him to go in without such high expectations and pressure for once. But a prestigious stage win should be well within reach!

The only thing he did wrong was mention Contador in his interview, that's what set off the pistolistas

airstream said:
i don't think so. Demanding results in TdS with sacrificing the Tour chances would be the bathos of stupidity. They are mercenaries, but not slaves and Frank would never have ridden Tds full blast if it could interfere the Tour. RSNT are just eager to divert attention amain. probably, they plan to win the Tour in the Pyrenees like De Gendt won 3rd spot on the Stelvio. No one knows.

but how is Levi gonna survive in the mountains if he suffered like hell in 2010 yet? he can get only weaker...

The problem was that he peaked for California.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
My problem?? You wanna know what my problem is??! Punks like you is my problem. Coming in here, acting like you know everything when in reality you have no clue. YOU can't handle the truth!!
Hehe, take it easy buddy. Such admonitions are useless. I tried.. :) But, sadly, it is an internet forum and any, figuratively speaking c+c, has no doubt he knows cycling better than Riis and Bruyneel together.

Volderke said:
Think twice and you know from experience that does not make sense. With the small time gaps of the last years, the time losses in the first week are becoming very important.

Sure, if there's a split in the peloton or a crash, or whatever. That's not what I meant, though.

The likes of Menchov may lose 20 seconds in the prologue, but Tuesday's hilly stage probably isn't very selective at all. The rest are flat road stages until day 8. That's including the Ardennes stage which bypasses all the climbs in the area, in favor of false flat "ramps"

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Sure, if there's a split in the peloton or a crash, or whatever. That's not what I meant, though.

The likes of Menchov may lose 20 seconds in the prologue, but Tuesday's hilly stage probably isn't very selective at all. The rest are flat road stages until day 8. That's including the Ardennes stage which bypasses all the climbs in the area, in favor of false flat "ramps"

I think we underrate how hard the first week can be. Not much climbing but plenty of opportunities to lose time. Sometimes the weather can play a part also. Menchov sometimes positions himself badly in the bunch and can get caught out by splits and on descents. They will all have to be attentive even though the route may not be so challenging, sometimes those stages can also be very fast and mechanicals and punctures at the wrong time don't help. For me Menchov and Valverde are the real question marks. On their day they are great and other times............

movingtarget said:
I think we underrate how hard the first week can be. Not much climbing but plenty of opportunities to lose time. Sometimes the weather can play a part also. Menchov sometimes positions himself badly in the bunch and can get caught out by splits and on descents. They will all have to be attentive even though the route may not be so challenging, sometimes those stages can also be very fast and mechanicals and punctures at the wrong time don't help. For me Menchov and Valverde are the real question marks. On their day they are great and other times............

For sure, it will be very hard, but my point was that the GC guys don't have to be in absolute top shape until the first TT, 10 days in. Anything can happen and I'm sure it will, crashes in particular, but I was talking "form" only.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
For sure, it will be very hard, but my point was that the GC guys don't have to be in absolute top shape until the first TT, 10 days in. Anything can happen and I'm sure it will, crashes in particular, but I was talking "form" only.

What? U dont think u need to be in top shape for stage 7 which is before the TT?: http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/700/etape_par_etape.html

U also dont want a bad day on stage 8: http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/800/etape_par_etape.html

And even in the 1st few days of the Tour u will be able to lose time. And those who want to take on Wiggens will wanna take those oppurtunities to gain time, especially since they can easily lose 20sec on Wiggens on the prologue:

Stage 1 has a demanding finish that very well can make gaps:
http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/100/etape_par_etape.html

Stage 3 is no picnic either. Cat 3 climb and a decent (not something Frankie-boy loves):

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/300/etape_par_etape.html

Christian said:

No seriously though no problem bro. Just trying to point out that one of the reasons Fränk participated in Suisse and battled it out for GC was maybe because he simply really likes the race and wants to honour it, regardless of the consequences on his form. Which is funny because people (not necessarily you) seem to think Schlecks are unable to do so.

TWISI Schleck was smart to race and try to win Suisse. It's one of the most prestigious races and he had a real shot at it. He never had a real shot at winning the Tour anyways and I didn't get the feeling that he was mad or disappointed or anything about probably not being at a top level at the Tour. It'll actually be nice for him to go in without such high expectations and pressure for once. But a prestigious stage win should be well within reach!

The only thing he did wrong was mention Contador in his interview, that's what set off the pistolistas

Sorry about that last sentence. In looking back it was bit too confrontational, something I'm working on.

My only problem with what was said in that interview was at the end him showing so much concern for what will be said (he didn't specify by whom) should he fail, as he implies he will likely do due to him being unable to maintain his form into the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

Like I said his race schedule and his reaching his peak too soon I put the blame on Bruyneel.

Christian said:

Wowie calm down!

Cimber said:
What? U dont think u need to be in top shape for stage 7 which is before the TT?: http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/700/etape_par_etape.html

U also dont want a bad day on stage 8: http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/800/etape_par_etape.html

And even in the 1st few days of the Tour u will be able to lose time. And those who want to take on Wiggens will wanna take those oppurtunities to gain time, especially since they can easily lose 20sec on Wiggens on the prologue:

Stage 3 is no picnic either. Cat 3 climb and a decent (not something Frankie-boy loves):

I agree. I don't know that they have to be 100% at full form, but if they hope to disrupt UK Postal, they will have to look to steal as many seconds as possible on terrain that doesn't necessarily suit Bradley. Waiting is a fool's game.

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
I agree. I don't know the they have to be 100% at full form, but if they hope to disrupt UK Postal, they will have to look to steal as many seconds as possible on terrain that doesn't necessarily suit Bradley. Waiting is a fool's game.

Agreed, you can make Wiggins lose the TdF in the first week, but you can't put yourself in winning position there already. If Frank goes for it, he'll probably be top and won't lose it in the beginning but the big question is whether he can hold up during second and third week given the amount of racing days he already done.

The Hitch said:
yes, you are right. if this year once again 8 out of the 10 guys who are better gc riders than frank schleck get stuck in crashes, then it is possible Frank will scrape the podium again.

I asked earlier and never got a response. It was somewhat rhetorical, but I posed the question.

Name for us the top 10 riders who can consistently perform, and have proven to perform, over a grand tour, and been as consistent as Frank Schleck in the past 4 yrs (except 2010 crash year for him of course), so that means the previous 3 TDF he competed in.

Then tell me how great all of them are at extended TTs, besides Evans, Wiggins and Levi, so that leaves 6 names you can provide, that are legitimate top 10 contenders, and how many of them have podiumed ever before? They need to consistently climb as well, or better than Frank, and TT better than him.

zigmeister said:
I asked earlier and never got a response. It was somewhat rhetorical, but I posed the question.

Name for us the top 10 riders who can consistently perform, and have proven to perform, over a grand tour, and been as consistent as Frank Schleck in the past 4 yrs (except 2010 crash year for him of course), so that means the previous 3 TDF he competed in.

Then tell me how great all of them are at extended TTs, besides Evans, Wiggins and Levi, so that leaves 6 names you can provide, that are legitimate top 10 contenders, and how many of them have podiumed ever before? They need to consistently climb as well, or better than Frank, and TT better than him.

Gesink, Nibali, VDB2, Valverde, Samu, Kloden, and Menchov. Plus the random guy that will Top 10. Then I added 7 since Wiggins will crack big in the 3 week.
Nibali, Valverde, Samu, Kloden, and Menchov have all podiumed and all better at TTs.
If those 7 and Frank are at 100% I think he could finish 6-7.

Cimber said:

LOL, we're talking about the world's best riders. They don't have to be 100% from day one. It may work for some, but not for those who can't perform at a very high level for three weeks in a row.

It's been done before, you know. You can afford to lose some minor time here and there, as none of the stages you mention are particularly hard, with the exception of stage 8, which I don't think will be GC relevant because there's a very important TT the next day.

No, the truly decisive stages are stages 9, 11, 17 and 19 and perhaps some other stage in between.

TRENDING THREADS