• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frank Schleck's comments

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
zigmeister said:
Frank is just sandbagging and screwing with people. Particularly Johan.

The Schlecks are tired and over the new management and operation that used to be Leopard Trek...when you aren't getting your paycheck on time, as rumored, and your "guru director" Johan is talking all sorts of crap, only to have to reverse the Chris Horner TDF decision, you might tend to say some things to pis& more people off to ensure you are gone in a few months with a new team and contract elsewhere.

I don't blame Frank and Andy at this point. Who else has a real shot at TDF podium on their team? Nobody. Frank is the guy, and his form is pretty darn good right now.

LOL @ Frank Schleck having a shot at the podium in this Tour de France.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
I wouldn't be surprised if he'd chase down his own teammate, Horner, sort of reminiscence of Stage 14 2005. Wouldn't that be fun to watch? ;)

Shack teammates riding against each other would make this group tempo ride through the alps watchable at least

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
I believe frank is bluffing a bit.I believe he can still do well at le tour.

there's a difference between bluffing and foreshadowing yet another disappointing performance.

when cavendish says he won't be dominant at the tour because he's training for the olympics that's bluffing.

erader

Publicus said:
I compared his 2011 season up to the start of the Tour and René definitely has more mileage this year compared to the same point last year:

2011: 43 race days, 6,625 km
2012: 54 race days 8,315 km (25.6% increase in days and kms)

Of course, this raises the question of why he proceeded to race the Tour of Luxembourg and the Tour de Suisse after starting but not finishing the Giro if his goal was to go to the Tour de France (in whatever capacity (i.e., as captain or support for Andy)--in either case, I question his/RSNT's approach. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a late substitution (Jakob for René who rides Vuelta with Raymond--which frankly would not be a bad result for RSNT given the more favorable course).

Good points all the way around. Yes, he's raced more this year. The Giro accounts for the extra and then some. He didn't do the hardest parts of that race though.

The thing is... even though he has more race days this year, he's likely RSTN's best hope at the TdF. The deliberately pass on being the team captain is baffling and kind of pathetic. It's the biggest race in the world. Get out there and give it everything. If there was someone else on RSTN that could place higher if he supports them instead, fine, but I'm not seeing anyone. Frank Schleck should be the team leader.

Note to the "Schleck haters!" guy: I've been a big fan of the Schlecks for years. I risked the dreaded "fanboy" label the previous couple years. Well, times have changed. I'm extremely disappointed in their conduct and attitudes this year.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
LOL @ Frank Schleck having a shot at the podium in this Tour de France.

Who else has a legit chance? Evans? Wiggins? Some other mystery climber who can TT pretty well consistenly?

Serious question. I know there are a few riders that are really shining this year...but Frank has been sneaking up towards the podium, then on it in 2011 the last 4yrs.

2010 didn't ride right? Injury or something, collarbone I thought from classics crash?

Then 2009, 5th overall.

2008, 6th overall.

Come on, give the guy credit, he has been right there at the big one now for many years.

They guy shouldn't be underestimated. TDF requires consistent daily climbing ability. He has proven time and again he is up there with the top 10 climbers on a consistent basis.

With some support from Jens initially, Popyvych, Horner...he can get paced and then just ride with the rest of the top climbers, even attack and win a stage realistically and come close to the podium again.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Of course, this raises the question of why he proceeded to race the Tour of Luxembourg and the Tour de Suisse after starting but not finishing the Giro if his goal was to go to the Tour de France (in whatever capacity (i.e., as captain or support for Andy)--in either case, I question his/RSNT's approach. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a late substitution (Jakob for René who rides Vuelta with Raymond--which frankly would not be a bad result for RSNT given the more favorable course).

Thanks for the numbers. I know he rode Tour de Luxembourg because it's somewhat of an obligation for him. People would be really disappointed if he didn't. Then Tour de Suisse was mandatory (except for riders over 40 :D ) to be considered for the Tour

Christian said:
Thanks for the numbers. I know he rode Tour de Luxembourg because it's somewhat of an obligation for him. People would be really disappointed if he didn't. Then Tour de Suisse was mandatory (except for riders over 40 :D ) to be considered for the Tour

Then the blame lies squarely on Bruyneel and his DSs. They should have rested him for the TdS and then maybe use the Luxembourg National Championships to shake out his legs.

zigmeister said:
Who else has a legit chance? Evans? Wiggins? Some other mystery climber who can TT pretty well consistenly?

Serious question. I know there are a few riders that are really shining this year...but Frank has been sneaking up towards the podium, then on it in 2011 the last 4yrs.

2010 didn't ride right? Injury or something, collarbone I thought from classics crash?

Then 2009, 5th overall.

2008, 6th overall.

Come on, give the guy credit, he has been right there at the big one now for many years.

They guy shouldn't be underestimated. TDF requires consistent daily climbing ability. He has proven time and again he is up there with the top 10 climbers on a consistent basis.

With some support from Jens initially, Popyvych, Horner...he can get paced and then just ride with the rest of the top climbers, even attack and win a stage realistically and come close to the podium again.

Evans, Wiggins, Menchov, VDB, Samuel Sanchez and Leipheimer are the most likely podium contenders, IMO. This Tour is time trial-heavy, meaning Schleck needs to be well in the lead before the final TT to have a small shot at the podium. It's not gonna happen.

His time trial may have improved over the years, but that final TT is simply too long.

zigmeister said:

Then 2009, 5th overall.

2008, 6th overall.

Last year despite Contador doing the Giro, JVDb and Wiggins and Vino crashing out, Basso unable to prepare due to injury, Gesink unable to contend during injury, the entire team working for him and all his opponents getting involved in attacks at one stage or another while he sat back and sucked wheels and was given a free ride to the title on Alpe d huez, if he wanted it.

Despite a course suited perfectly to him. Best course he will ever get for his abilities.

Despite all that, he still barely scraped the podium and he would not have even managed that had Samu and sick Contador not been delayed by a crash in stage 1 a few k from the finish, or had Voeckler not decided he was going to try to tt his way to Contador and Schleck on the Galibier.

The Hitch said:
Last year despite Contador doing the Giro, JVDb and Wiggins and Vino crashing out, Basso unable to prepare due to injury, Gesink unable to contend during injury, the entire team working for him and all his opponents getting involved in attacks at one stage or another while he sat back and sucked wheels and was given a free ride to the title on Alpe d huez, if he wanted it.

Despite a course suited perfectly to him. Best course he will ever get for his abilities.

Despite all that, he still barely scraped the podium and he would not have even managed that had Samu and sick Contador not been delayed by a crash in stage 1 a few k from the finish, or had Voeckler not decided he was going to try to tt his way to Contador and Schleck on the Galibier.

Wow, that is a lot of "what-ifs" and hypotheticals you just threw out there.

Can we stick with actual results the last 4yrs by Frank in the TDF compared to other riders? I think the case is still strong, even with the longer TTs.

You also never know what is going to happen, crashes etc..particularly the first week when guys are all hyped up and excited to make a name for themselves..anything can happen.

zigmeister said:
Wow, that is a lot of "what-ifs" and hypotheticals you just threw out there.

Can we stick with actual results the last 4yrs by Frank in the TDF compared to other riders? I think the case is still strong, even with the longer TTs.

You also never know what is going to happen, crashes etc..particularly the first week when guys are all hyped up and excited to make a name for themselves..anything can happen.

yes, you are right. if this year once again 8 out of the 10 guys who are better gc riders than frank schleck get stuck in crashes, then it is possible Frank will scrape the podium again.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
yes, you are right. if this year once again 8 out of the 10 guys who are better gc riders than frank schleck get stuck in crashes, then it is possible Frank will scrape the podium again.
By your logic he didnt really scrape the podium..

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, How is it that so many on this thread, that want to see Frank shine, can keep a straight face, while they deny that the ITT kms. will completely take the wind out of Franks sails? It is insistence of this sort, that defines why humanity has so many of the problems that it has now. The inability to see correctly. The persistence of looking at the surrounding world through emotional eyes. Forget data that shows us how this man performs in TT's. Forget looking at the reality that this man does not Time Trial well enough to preserve any margin he could possibly get in the mountains (Andy, he is NOT, and as we know, even Andy couldn't pull the TdF off, due to one final ITT - Galibier, or not). Not to mention that he will be playing catch up almost immediately out of the starting gate. Levi is coming off of a broken leg, and was only 7 seconds behind Frank at the TdS due mainly to his lack of ITT skills. Wiggins is waiting for Frank, along with Evans, Kreuziger, Gesink, Froome, Menchov, Nibali, Hesjedal (who isn't complaining about being past his peak, even though he won the same Giro that Frank dropped out of due to "injury") and more. @100 KMS. of ITT spells no podium for Frank, as far as I'm concerned. Let's see what happens.:)

theyoungest said:
And Leipheimer is currently time trialing like an angel?

But Leipheimer isn't making public statements about being at or near his peak to early. As was mentioned previously he's still building his form, evidenced by his tt performance in TdS and his overall performance at ToC.

Regarding Frank Schleck I don't think it's a smokescreen by Frank to say that he won't be able to carry his fitness thru to the final week of the Tour. It's my guess that for fear of further incurring Bruyneel's anger, he quietly rode the TdS with no complaints, knowing it would ruin him for the Tour. Someone posted his # of race days up to this point and they are high for him for this point in the season. Of course who are we to question the genius of Johann but there seems to be a bit or disorganization in the managing of their rider's race schedules especially Frank's. Is it possible that they had some type of agreement with the TdS organizers that one of the Schleck's would ride their event? Was Johann recognizing that with Andy out and Kloden a question mark in terms of being capable of making the podium in Paris, that they'd be wise to get results where they could, thus the hard efforts they put in trying to win the overall at the TdS at the expense of Frank's Tour form?

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it was 54 race days while he normally does around 70 in a whole season. Meaning he would go down in week 3. I still think he played down the expectations since his form is fine.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Could the fact that they're starved for results be the reason he raced to win instead of using the event as prep for the Tour? It seems with Andy out and Kloden's actual ability to deliver the goods in the Tour a 50/50 proposition, that they'd have been wise to save Frank. Not that he actually has a chance to win with the amount of TT km's. Supposedly these (Frank and the team's management) are the experts, not us and they seemingly would know best what would be ideal for Frank if they wanted him at his best for the Tour. How can they have gotten the timing for his Tour peak so wrong, such that after the TdS he's stating his doubts in being able to be competitive for the 2nd and 3rd weeks? Seems like a major error on his and the team management's part.

i don't think so. Demanding results in TdS with sacrificing the Tour chances would be the bathos of stupidity. They are mercenaries, but not slaves and Frank would never have ridden Tds full blast if it could interfere the Tour. RSNT are just eager to divert attention amain. probably, they plan to win the Tour in the Pyrenees like De Gendt won 3rd spot on the Stelvio. No one knows.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
LOL, he's coming back from an injury.
but how is Levi gonna survive in the mountains if he suffered like hell in 2010 yet? he can get only weaker...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
re: Tour de Suisse participation

Also Tour de Suisse is one of the races that Fränk really loves and he has been riding it forever and always done well. Maybe he even feels some sort of pride or obligation to honour the race??? Nah that can't be it, he's a Schleck after all :rolleyes:

airstream said:
i don't think so. Demanding results in TdS with sacrificing the Tour chances would be the bathos of stupidity. They are mercenaries, but not slaves and Frank would never have ridden Tds full blast if it could interfere the Tour. RSNT are just eager to divert attention amain. probably, they plan to win the Tour in the Pyrenees like De Gendt won 3rd spot on the Stelvio. No one knows.

but how is Levi gonna survive in the mountains if he suffered like hell in 2010 yet? he can get only weaker...

...and your theory of Johann thinking teams will allow Frank to simply gain major minutes in the Pyrenees simply because he says he'll be on the downward slope of his form is a master stroke of genius?

Christian said:
Also Tour de Suisse is one of the races that Fränk really loves and he has been riding it forever and always done well. Maybe he even feels some sort of pride or obligation to honour the race??? Nah that can't be it, he's a Schleck after all :rolleyes:

Your tone implies that I'm blaming Frank when I plainly stated that I believe Bruyneel is the one at fault. What is your problem?

TRENDING THREADS