• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

French doping agency forwards report on Armstrong...what's this about?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Grimpeur, BroDeal, and Mello Velo are all spot on correct. But my God, twenty pages now and still humming along!

Make it stop mommy, make it stop!

exorcist_l.jpg

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think Grimpeur, BroDeal, and Mello Velo are all spot on correct. But my God, twenty pages now and still humming along!

Make it stop mommy, make it stop!

[/IMG]

but in this wonderful world we live in not everyone does think they are correct, hence this will probably run to 300 pages and end sometime in july... :p

at least its relatively flame free and been kept to three or four threads.. :D

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok lets clear some stuff up before I leave this topic for good, surly we have other things to talk about other then LA.

1. I'm not American:eek:
2. Americans are somewhat xenophobic I am afraid to say, hence the freedom fries comment.
3. I still don't get what everyone is so angry about, he took a shower he tested negative this warrants 20+ pages, I feel like an idiot for reading any of it
4. The french leaked the story, this is not a good thing in my opinion
5. I don't like LA, never have, I met him back when he was a teenager and he was a *** then. I do however respect him as a cyclist. my post was not in support of him but my view of the situation. I think people are reading to much into this.

If people on this forum want to bash other nations go ahead but **** can fly both ways. I never said anything I wouldn't say to my French friends but there has been an anti Lance thing in France but now i see that it is not just France but the UK as well, my bad:(

Bgril I think you have something but Graham Green already wrote a book about it called the Quite American

word

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
If people on this forum want to bash other nations go ahead but **** can fly both ways. I never said anything I wouldn't say to my French friends but there has been an anti Lance thing in France but now i see that it is not just France but the UK as well, my bad:(

Hey I'm offended you left off USA Cycling fans off the anti-Lance sentiments! :mad:

:D

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Just goes to show what a complete bunch of tossers the french really are. :mad:

They should be begging Lance to ride to bring some credibility back to the Tour de Farce to save it from being the borefest of the last couple of years!

They should be begging Lance to ride to bring some credibility back to the Tour de Farce to save it from being the borefest of the last couple of years!

WTF???:confused:

Credibility???

And which races were you watching? Lance's last few wins were very boring, and over in the first week. After that, it was watching him follow the USPS/Discovery train on every stage. His 2005 win was essentially over in the first ten minutes, when he passed up Jan Ullrich in the prologue. Since his vacancy, the last three years have seen some extremely close, back and forth racing, going down to the last (next to last) day. Granted, there were riders busted for doping, but at least by doing that the sport was trying to improve its credibility over previous years.

I would love to know how one contender dominating an event every year for seven years is more exciting than have a host of contenders names battling it out for the victory. That is like saying the Yankees winning 7 World titles in a row easily is more exciting than different teams winning every year, unless of course you follow the Yankees.

For most neutrals, the only Lance tour that was remotely interesting was 2003 when Lance had actually had some competition. 99 was a great story as opposed to a great race. I am sure most Lance fans would admit they were more nervous in 2003 than any other time so imagine how neutrals felt, really, really excited.

The best Tours have been the ones that have gone down to the wire, for example 89 is the best tour ever, constantly changing leaderships, big guys going head to head and the final result only decided on the last day. The top 5 Tour of the last 25 years have been, 89, 87, 86, 90 & 08. Also, 98 & 06 were great races but ruined by drugs scandals.

Most of Lances tours were over by the end of the first time-trial or mountain stage, just like the Indurain era. Not the respective athletes fault but hardly rivetting stuff.

This is way off the original thread so to bring it back, as far as I am concerned Lance breached the protocol for dope testing but it is a slap on the wrists offence rather than a big ban. As much as I dont want another Lance victory, I want to see him beaten fairly at the Tour rather than by a disputed dope test. I know rules are rules, but to ban him from the Tour would only give his camp & fans more ammunition & he would hang around another year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bikechad said:
Just goes to show what a complete bunch of tossers the french really are. :mad:

You clearly have been watching the wrong channel. The last 3 Tours have been spectacular viewing. Get a clue.

When you look at most threads on here they usually divide into two groups, diehard Lance fans and more generlaised cycling fans who dont like Lance.

I am curious, I would like to hear from the Lance fans on here who are a/ not American b/ have been following cycling for more than 10 years.

Lets call it a little experiment. I am aware there are quite a few American fans who are not Lance fans , so now I want the opposite just to get an overall picture of the battle lines.

A

Anonymous

im a) not american b) a fan of lance c) been following cycling since the early 80's and rode and competed from the mid eighties to mid nineties...

my opinion is the same for this situation and is would be for any rider.. the authorities have made a pigs ear of it.. doesnt matter if its lance, contador, whoever.. i would even stand up for cadull evans on this one and the guy bores me..

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
They've made a pigs of it based on what, though? The word of Armstrong. Surely it makes more sense to find out both sides of the story before making such sweeping statements? For example, how to account for the repeated warnings the tester gave - where's the c*ck up in that?

One great outcome - all riders can now evade the tests with impunity. All they have to say is 'I'm taking a shower - the head of the UCI says it's fine to do that'. Pat McQuaid should be the one being disciplined for being a complete and utter disaster as head of a great sport.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Pat McQuaid should be the one being disciplined for being a complete and utter disaster as head of a great sport.

Amen. Verdruggen's 'Chosen One'. Some pedigree :rolleyes:. They should have given the job to Daniel Baal.

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
They've made a pigs of it based on what, though?

allegedly allowing lance to take a shower and get changed
allegedly signing the forms to say the test was conducted properly (if they beleive it wasnt)
submitting details to the UCI despite the UCI having no jurestriction
submitting the details to the french press...

the argument that X or Y rider uses the press is not an argument against that.. two piles of twaddle do not, never have, and never will make a black forest gateaux :)

is anyone bored with this.. we seem to be going round in circles.. the pro lance, the anti lance, the pro french, the anti french, the anti doping, those in favour of fairness, the wizards, the ghouls, and the man from del monte.....

*the french testers made a balls up of it competely in allowing lance to shower, signing the forms and then going to the press..
*lance made an **** of it by going off and showering and putting himself in a position to raise suspsion..
*PmQ made an idiot of himself by contradicting the rules and saying its fine for lance to shower
Nobody is coming out of this smelling of roses, but only one of those three is likely to be excluded from the tour.. so ultimately, the french, lose face a little but get what they want..

last year it was contador, this year lance, when lance is gone its not going to be the end of it.. who next year, andy schleck for being related to frank, the sky team for being associated with Dave B, its going to be someone..

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
allegedly allowing lance to take a shower and get changed
allegedly signing the forms to say the test was conducted properly (if they beleive it wasnt)
submitting details to the UCI despite the UCI having no jurestriction
submitting the details to the french press...

the argument that X or Y rider uses the press is not an argument against that.. two piles of twaddle do not, never have, and never will make a black forest gateaux :)

is anyone bored with this.. we seem to be going round in circles.. the pro lance, the anti lance, the pro french, the anti french, the anti doping, those in favour of fairness, the wizards, the ghouls, and the man from del monte.....

*the french testers made a balls up of it competely in allowing lance to shower, signing the forms and then going to the press..
*lance made an **** of it by going off and showering and putting himself in a position to raise suspsion..
*PmQ made an idiot of himself by contradicting the rules and saying its fine for lance to shower
Nobody is coming out of this smelling of roses, but only one of those three is likely to be excluded from the tour.. so ultimately, the french, lose face a little but get what they want..

last year it was contador, this year lance, when lance is gone its not going to be the end of it.. who next year, andy schleck for being related to frank, the sky team for being associated with Dave B, its going to be someone..

Amen to this post dimspace, and Amen to this thread, at the end of the day both parties seem to have made some critical errors in judgement, and depending on if your pro Lance or not their's your opinion.

If and when a ruling is made, we'll see the fallout.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

It IS okay to take a shower... Not okay to leave sight of the AFLD during the OCC. From a legal standpoint we cant say what Lance did. Lancer claims he took a shower.

cyclevelo said:
I do believe it was the majority of Americans. At the time during 911 the Bush's approval rating was higher than NOBAMO. As you can see I am a REPUBLICAN!!!

But I do believe we shouldn't discuss politics on a cycling forum. It really gets under people's skin no matter what political party you are a member of.

What is "NOBAMO"?

Its difficult to avoid political discussions when someone interjects their political rhetoric into the cycling discusion as you have with this "NOBAMO" reference. You opened the can of worms yourself.

I believe most American's were in support of the invasion of Afghanistan but were skeptical about the Iraq invasion due to questions that involved the validity of Hussein's involvement with al-Queda and of the phantom WMD's.
What your being a Republican has to do with anything other than the fact that you likely blindly supported the Bush regime and their protestations that if you didn't support him and his philophies then you were "un-American" and unpatriotic. Your obviously negative reference to Obama implies to me that you have already passed judgement on him and his administration after only 3 months in office. Considering the monumental mess that is left to be cleaned up I would think that a certain period of time would be given to see if what results from the strategies his administration has planned to combat the issues that face the U.S. and the world.

As far as the French backlash, I for one never supported, thought that it was silly and media driven. It reflects upon the "with us or against us" montra that was being spouted. The French sent troops to support the cause while at the same time not being in full agreement with all the strategies and statements coming from the White House. Their reservations as you stated, proved to be well founded.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Im not a LA fan but i respect his efforts with cancer and his accomplishments as a rider, but i think the French are sick of him just as most of us are but still I know after I finish riding all I want to do is take a shower, so I can understand that excuse if the tester gave him permission to shower

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Im not a LA fan but i respect his efforts with cancer and his accomplishments as a rider,

Take me down and I take down "hope." Livestrong!

Charity is the most effective weapon.

Purgery: crime that occurs when an individual willfully makes a false statement during a judicial proceeding, after he or she has taken an oath to speak the truth.

Have you ever used Performance enhancing drugs? "no."

all these MLB players investigated by U.S. Congress or simply tested positive (no cancer foundation or bracelets):

Ricky Bones
Alex Cabrera
Larry Bigbie
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Todd Hundley
Hal Morris
Mark Carreon
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Chuck Knoblauch
Greg Zaunn