• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1315 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

macbindle said:
Koronin said:
If he does that it will make a total farce out of the sport.

When was it anything other than a farce? Serious question. When was this hallowed age of clean athleticism in GT cycling?

Did Festina not happen? Did Armstrong not happen?

Is his real crime that he makes it too obvious?

For me, Froome is no better no worse than any of the others in the past or present. It’s not like a pro athlete should serve as anyone’s moral compass (boyhood lesson from my Dad). I’m not inspired to emulate Froome’s janky style on a bike but it obviously works exceedingly well for him. Sky’s big budget, too big to fail status with the UCI, and hypocritical preaching of clean cycling rubs me like a saddle sore. Brailsford’s snarkiness is good theater, though.

In terms of doping in cycling some feel that the adoption of oxygen vector drugs took it to a less acceptable level. That’s not good logic just the perception amongst the cyclists and fans I hang with. It feels like when Hank Aaron’s homerun record in MLB fell to obviously supercharged athletes.

The fear of five in a row, I love it.

There's one voice round here who, when Riis suggested Bert could do the triple in 2010, declaimed loudly and proudly that it was physically impossible, even with drugs. Would never happen. Ever.

Now look at the world. It's practically taken as a given and people are planning for its aftermath.

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

dacooley said:
masking_agent said:
so on the rest day before the mountains begin, is it safe to assume Chris and Geraint have their blood bags ready at their disposal and are infusing ?
You seem to be stucking in Armstrong's era. Sky use some more advanced doping methods, IMO. :D

More a carefully calibrated (and crucially: compartmentalized) combination of traditional and modern.
Apologies all for the alliteration

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Nighttrain99 said:
If Froome wins this Tour and then the Vuelta, and I think he will, does he enter the record books as the greatest GT racer of all time? From donkey to GOAT...

I think he will too, and that will make 5 GT's in a row. That would make him the greatest athlete in the history of mankind, which is why anyone who believes he is cleans is so clearly mentally deficient.

Where's Tinkov and his million for the 3ple challenge?

Re:

masking_agent said:
so on the rest day before the mountains begin, is it safe to assume Chris and Geraint have their blood bags ready at their disposal and are infusing ?

Expect to see a rejuvenated Wouter Poels as well going up those mountains.
But otherwise, I agree with dacooley. My guess is that their doping program must be a mix of old and new stuff.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Nighttrain99 said:
If Froome wins this Tour and then the Vuelta, and I think he will, does he enter the record books as the greatest GT racer of all time? From donkey to GOAT...

I think he will too, and that will make 5 GT's in a row. That would make him the greatest athlete in the history of mankind, which is why anyone who believes he is cleans is so clearly mentally deficient.

He’s going to win all three this year. Incremental increases - peak form.... May thru September. No problem.

pastronef said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
pastronef said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
I'm rooting for the pave...

try again next time.

Sooner or later, every donkey will have his day.

he had his day twice already. Tour 2014, broken wrist. Vuelta 2015 broken foot. and he lost Vueltas to Quintana and Contador

That was before he got his preparation perfected. Now he can cruise around Italy, taking in the sights and then just blow everyone's bottles out of their cages with an epic, grand tour winning attack. He can have kidney issues, dehydration AND be suffering from the effects of a distressed respiratory system but still drop all but one of his challengers in Spain on one of the sport's most feared climbs, all with the stress on his body of having just won the Tour little more than a month previously.

macbindle said:
thehog said:
At least Armstrong had the decency to dope hard for one GT then head back to Texas. Dawg wants to own it all! :eek:

Decency? You think it was because of 'decency'? :lol:

Froome just dodged an Armstrong level positive test bullet and now he wants to win three GTs a year! Armstrong was at least smart enough to glow only for half a year and let the Italians and Spaniards win a GT or two.

Yes, we all know that, and no he wasn't talking about winning the Vuelta he was talking about riding the Vuelta. Not sure why you are mentioning it.

You are citing Armstrong's decision to only ride the Tour, and not the other GTs as being a pragmatic, doping related decision. Nothing to do with sharing things out. If you go for 7 straight wins you clearly don't care about being seen to take the pi55.

That is the bit that is in your head. He didn't ride them because it wouldn't have made him any richer, or indeed more famous.

Scott SoCal said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Nighttrain99 said:

He’s going to win all three this year. Incremental increases - peak form.... May thru September. No problem.

I'm thinking Cyclocross Worlds for the off season. Clearly he has the talent after the Roubaix stage...speaking of which, Roubaix next year too. He's shown this kind of potential since he was a lad, so I'm thinking me might consider shooting for winning every classic in a season. Seems plausible.

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Scott SoCal said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Nighttrain99 said:

I'm thinking Cyclocross Worlds for the off season. Clearly he has the talent after the Roubaix stage...speaking of which, Roubaix next year too. He's shown this kind of potential since he was a lad, so I'm thinking me might consider shooting for winning every classic in a season. Seems plausible.

Then wait to he retires and comes back 4 years later! :cool:

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaDefense said:
He's shown this kind of potential since he was a lad, so I'm thinking me might consider shooting for winning every classic in a season. Seems plausible.
Now you are just being ridiculous. There's no way he could win Paris-Tours or Milan-San Remo. All the rest maybe.

Re:

macbindle said:
Yes, we all know that, and no he wasn't talking about winning the Vuelta he was talking about riding the Vuelta. Not sure why you are mentioning it.

You are citing Armstrong's decision to only ride the Tour, and not the other GTs as being a pragmatic, doping related decision. Nothing to do with sharing things out. If you go for 7 straight wins you clearly don't care about being seen to take the pi55.

That is the bit that is in your head. He didn't ride them because it wouldn't have made him any richer, or indeed more famous.

It would now though. Times moved on. More to the point, aside from pisstaking, I could be mistaken, but seem to recall that fewer targeted races lessened the testing load. Seems that barrier was surmounted.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Scott SoCal said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Nighttrain99 said:

I

He’s going all Eddy on us. All he has to do is put on about 2 kilos and hit the leg press in the winter. He’ll out-kick Sagan without a problem. You think Nibali was good on the Poggio? Wait until dawg goes all F*llR*tard...

Primavera will never be the same with the bowl-legged-elbows-out sprint win.

rata de sentina said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
He's shown this kind of potential since he was a lad, so I'm thinking me might consider shooting for winning every classic in a season. Seems plausible.
Now you are just being ridiculous. There's no way he could win Paris-Tours or Milan-San Remo. All the rest maybe.

I don't think you appreciate how much Badzilla and asthma prepare you for cycling...

TRENDING THREADS