• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

ianfra

BANNED
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
You never did answer the question I asked FIRST. What do you stand to lose? Back out now for your own good. When the *** hits the fan, you are going to end up covered in excrement because you so steadfastly buy and believe the garbage Sky have fed. As I said, the rest of us lose nothing.

Wiggins doped for one reason. Money. For the family. Training intensity? Yeah right. Family time? Excuses excuses. Why talk all the crap before the Giro? Why did all the Sky fanboys hate it when I said right before the Giro that Wiggins had lost it? He didn't have it and chucked a tantrum when Nibali annihilated him at Giro del Trentino! Yeah, real family man there. Runs from the press, makes a story up about a mechanical (lie) and then when I call it what it was, your ilk run off to the mods to cry. What happened at the Giro champ? Your boy was smashed. Absolutely dominated! Thus what was the point of his trash talk pre Giro? The actions of a man who is being honest, reliable, someone of good character? No, he was peeved because he WANTED to win and couldn't anymore. But you kid yourself and think Wiggins was slumming it. It makes Sky's despicable actions even worse. Nominating Wiggins to lead the Giro and he didn't train! Wow ianfra! Great insight there champ! :rolleyes:

But run some more excuses for your hero. Let us know when Sky run their ABP by Ashenden...till then, they're dirty as, because they walk it, talk it, ride it and act it 24/7. Keep pushing ianfra, your going to end up looking worse than Polish did. Want to know what happened to his idol? Oh that's right, ask Wiggins who was singing about his hero all last year!

Whatever they're putting in the water in Chiang Ming or wherever you live, you should bottle it and sell it to Brits. Seriously. Something for a label along the lines of "Delude Thyself in Blissful Ignorance."

Edit: I see you replied back with quotes regarding doping at Barloworld. Want me to post the ones Wiggins said while at Cofidis and then contrast with his pro omerta rhetoric that was back slapping Armstrong? You better hope LA shuts his gob...if he wants to, he can make your Sky heroes real dirty. Take a look back over the thread and the climb Froome supposedly went sub 31 minutes on...the Madone. You should know Trek named a bike after it and guess who held the record? If Armstrong says how he got that record, well...veil lifted. But continue on with the theatrics. You're keeping plenty here entertained. Just like the Sky freak show is.

Post is still full of dishonest and personal attacks.

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Worthless coach, he doesnt even spot worldclass talent in front of his own nose.

Ha ha :D

I especially liked this bit :

His results on the South African circuit were mediocre. Edwards remembers flashes of brilliance when Froome would ride near the front before he got dropped. Yet most races were around Johannesburg, where the terrain is flat, and rarely stretched past 100 kilometres. Froome needed something more gruelling, like a European race, to reveal his winning capacity for suffering. He was also completing his bachelor of commerce degree and, cramming for his finals, he turned up for the Tour of Tzaneen with his text books.

His parents worried about his future for they did not see much point in bike-riding. Jane Froome had her doubts confirmed when, watching him ride for the first time in that same race, she saw her son being shelled from the back of the peloton. As Edwards drove the team car she asked him a gentle yet pointed question: "Is Chris any good at riding a bike?"

Edwards did not have a convincing answer; but he knew Froome was exceedingly bright and that "he smashed out the distinctions at university. Chris's intelligence is a huge factor in his career."

That intelligence has strengthened his bond with Tim Kerrison, Sky's deeply scientific head of performance. Clarity and rigour link Kerrison and Robbie Nilsen, the attorney who helped Froome unleash his intellect in the cycling domain when they started an under-23 team together at the Hi-Q cycling academy in Johannesburg.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
But: I would never guarantee Froome is totally clean. Of course at Sky they push the lines as much they can (as all the teams do). OTOH, which high paid, highly trained, or highly educated persons don´t push the lines in politics, business or sports? Welcome to the real world.

By knowing that, Froome is a deserving champ. He surely isn´t worse than those liars/ignorants and protected riders from spain like Valv-Piti, AC, SSanchez, etc.!

Conclusion: Go Froome. :)

So it is OK for Sky to "push the lines" and give their riders protection, but when the Spanish do the same they are liars and ignorant?? Do you realise how bigoted this sound to the reader?

In bold - this especially has to go down as the most biased and in context of your other statement the most bigoted wording I have read on the forum thus far.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
So much for the idea that Froome caught badzilla two years ago, or even three. He sucked from an early age.
He must have had colds and chivers back then all the time. But hey, no doctors in South Africa. I bet TaxeForAll has a perfect explanation for this.
Frank Chickens said:
Clarity and rigour link Kerrison and Robbie Nilsen, the attorney who helped Froome unleash his intellect in the cycling domain when they started an under-23 team together at the Hi-Q cycling academy in Johannesburg.
Also interesting. Robbie Nilsen. The cycling intellect unleasher.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Dr Michele Ferrari would often be waiting at the top of the climb to take blood lactate samples and power meter readings to plot along his graphs. If Armstrong could hold the magic number of 6.8 watts/kg, then he was on track to win the Tour.

Having lived in Nice for four years, I rode it many times as well. The record of 31:30 stood for many years, until in 1999 when I broke it with a 30:47. For me, the Madone is the ultimate test. It always tells me if I'm ready - ready to ride fast and ultimately, win the Tour de France. It never fails."

If Froome did sub 31 minutes that must have been way over the magical 6.0w/kg :eek:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I am on your side. I have read your interesting post you linked at your signature. Good job. :)

Even without all the knowledge you have shown in your article, i already defended Froome last year around the same time. For me his results were/are plausible if seen in context with his unusual career path. BTW: the only uneasy feeling i have with a Sky rider is Wiggins. The rest who show up in the so-called "Skyborg"-Train showed talent/and results with other teams before (example Knees finishing T-20-TdF w/Milram, Rogers multiple times T-20, EBH being a great talent early like Sagan, Porte in the Giro T-10, Sivtsov while with HTC multiple T-20 in GT´s, so was Uran, Cataldo, and so on).

And i think most guys here know i am very suspicious about sudden and stark improvements by riders in a relative high age (like Mosquera, Armstrong of course, Rominger, Rijs, to name a few). I agree mostly with the "Clinic-12-Apostel" like "hog" or "RR" for example. But i think they are a little harsh/over the line with team Sky. It´s normal that the teams with the highest payroll dominate (be it baseball or soccer, you name it). It´s called pro sports.

But: I would never guarantee Froome is totally clean. Of course at Sky they push the lines as much they can (as all the teams do). OTOH, which high paid, highly trained, or highly educated persons don´t push the lines in politics, business or sports? Welcome to the real world.

By knowing that, Froome is a deserving champ. He surely isn´t worse than those liars/ignorants and protected riders from spain like Valv-Piti, AC, SSanchez, etc.!

Conclusion: Go Froome. :)

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I am quite new in this forum so it is possible I could miss post like this, becouse other forums tell you if you are quoted, and here thare are a lot of threads....

If you see at the end, I dont say in that article Froome or SKY are cleans, I think so, anyway, but not sure, what I say it that in no evidence Froome is doped, and there is an explanation for everything, that make perfect and no improbable sense.

And that chapter about Barloworl... well, I follow Froome and
Augustyn after his first Tour. I expected a lot of them in the next Giro.. I was a little dissapointed,... next year, I was still more dissapointed... so, in a team with Corti, with Pfannberger, Cárdenas, the positive of Dueñas... I though, maybe there werent so primising, meybe they just doped... (that time I though more or lees everybody doped, so I mean they were had more benefis of doping...) but...that was the easy way to think.... Now, I have investigated, and there is other explanation, that make better sense for that.

For me it is not a question of go Froome or no... it is a question of clean cycling, and there are riders or teams, more reliables. I like Froome, but as well a lot of riders, if he win becouse he is clean and he is the best, ok, but if is another, no problem for me.

I hope to see a nice Tour They put very little medium mountain stages...that s is a pity. But the rest is interesting.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
WADA should put a vampire with a stopwatch and bloodtesting kit on the Madone. Or just drop the bloodtesting kit and lifetime ban anyone within 30" of Armstrong's record.

Froome is clearly most talented than Lance for a climb, if Lance time in Madonne, is still better, with the new bikes, with the new training, that means Lance take a big benefice from doping.

Porte is very good for just a climb, but other way is three weeks, or long mountain stages with long climbs.

Doping make medium riders be better than the good ones, make be stronger in the last part of a GT, but with the correct training and nutrition, a good rider could make similar test. A doper is not going to improve a record a lot. He is maybe going to improve a lot his own record, if he is a medium rider.

But what get than Lance won his Tours, it wanst his time in Madonne, maybe Evans clean could be close, but motoman, and motoman was no valid for test in col de la Madonne.:rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Baltazar said:
I love how casually Froome mentions his sub-31 min Madone time. Like it ain't no thing.
He really feels invincible, it might contribute to his downfall.

Is there a link to where Froome states breaking 31 minutes up Madone? I seee in the June Interview he says 32:00 is his best.

I wish someone had past times from Ax 3 Domaines, preferably Ullrich's 2003 time there.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Is there a link to where Froome states breaking 31 minutes up Madone? I seee in the June Interview he says 32:00 is his best.

I wish someone had past times from Ax 3 Domaines, preferably Ullrich's 2003 time there.
From jens_attacks blog
1. 2001: 22:55 Roberto Laiseka 23.56 km/h
2. 2001: 22:57 Lance Armstrong 23.53 km/h
3. 2003: 23:18 Jan Ullrich 23.18 km/h
4. 2001: 23:20 Jan Ullrich 23.14 km/h
5. 2003: 23:20 Haimar Zubeldia 23.14 km/h
6. 2003: 23:25 Lance Armstrong 23.06 km/h
7. 2003: 23:35 Alexander Vinokourov 22.90 km/h
8. 2003: 23:37 Ivan Basso 22.87 km/h
9. 2005: 23:40 Lance Armstrong 22.82 km/h
10. 2005: 23:42 Ivan Basso 22.78 km/h

BigBoat said:

http://climbing-records.blogspot.ro/2013/06/bonascres-finests-top-100-fastest.html ;)

Times are a good reference, if you consider all the aspect in the climb, in the day, etc...

The wind, the weather, the stage, if there is a "solo" if they go together looking each other as Andy-Contador in this climb 3 years ago, ot if you go in an TTT as some times do SKy, etc...

If they go slowly 30 people together and at the end a strong attack of one kilometre is made.. it is going to be a slow climb, but you must measure that last kilometre to have some conclusions.

if there is a solo attack is going to be a good time, but.. you are always alone againts the wind...

The best way to make an amazing climbing time is as in Bellefilles, form the base, strong riders as Rogers, Porte, and Froome with a high tempo.

I mean, these days are been quite, if there is a quite day as well on saturday till the final climb, good weather, final climb with tail wind, and it is full gas first David Lopez 2 km, then Siutsov 1 km, then Kiriyenka another km, then Porte 2 kms, and finally Froome 2 kms attack, the w/kg, climbing time, etc... could be really impressive, even better than ever before.

If there is head win, and the last climb it is not that way, and they did a record, we could came here to disscus it, even today with the new bikes and new methods.

We have to compare with other years, but taking all things into consideration.

That stage in 2003 was similar, but longer and with a very high temperature.

PROFILE14.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO1RlYxVg9k

That stage was after the Alps, very hard Alps, a very hard Tour... and after a hard ITT.

They did all the climb full gas, with Heras at the begining,

And despite of this, Sastre won that day, and I consider that a clean victory, but he, sadly, wanst in the fight for the GC (he couldnt fight againts EPO, IMO).

So, I mean, if a man of the GC made this saturday the same climbing time as Ulle (with a bettr bike), for me could be credible... it depends condicitions,( but it is a shorter stage, at the begining of the Tour, and almost sure, despite increasing temperatures this weekend, no so hot, conditions looks better.)

Anyway, I doubt Zubeldia replay his time and they did the same time.
If they go full gas and in this conditions dont improve 2003...something is different now, becouse year by year, generation after generation, performance should be better.

Gregga said:
Be patient guys...
Just wait until saturday and the first MTF, IMO (based on what he did on that little cat 3 climb last sunday) Froome will go crazy and put 30" into Contador and 1' into the others and the believers will be suddenly keep low profile.

That is what everybody expect of him considering this season, it should be normal.
I think he wont do it, anyway. I think Purito, for instance, will climb faster.

Contador did more than that in Verbier, and saturday stage is harder.

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
BigBoat said:

This is the million dollar question. I've searched everywhere and not been able to find the quote. I think people's lines have become crossed somewhere along the line, probably with Froome making a comment in French about his "threshold power" being 440W, and people translating that to mean that he did 440W up the Madone.

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's what we know based on the direct quotes and facts we have:

- Froome did the Madone in a time between 32 and 33 minutes;
- According to Kerrison, at one stage Froome did the ride using aero bars (possibly the same ride, but we can't be sure);
- Froome weighs approximately 67kg;
- Armstrong did his record time of 30:45 using a road bike;
- The Madone is 13.6km long at an average gradient of 6.7%.

Ignoring possible wind effects, which could be positive or negative, here's what this all translates to:

2nqqe4j.jpg

If Froome was using aero bars during his quickest time, his power output would have been between 6.25 and 6.35 W/kg. If he was using a normal road bike, his power output would have been between 6.4 and 6.55 W/kg.

When Armstrong did his best time, his power output would have been around the 7 W/kg mark.

Considering Froome would have been doing the climb fresh, and not after 5+ hours of a Tour de France, these values are within the physiologically possible range and around what we'll see from a few riders in the first ITT. If Froome is 24% efficient and was riding at 90% of his maximum effort, this performance predicts a VO2max of around 84-85 ml/kg/min. Very, very good, as you'd expect, but plausible.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
nice to see the sky science team is back. even when trying as hard as possible to make Froome look clean you didnt even get him below 6.0w/kg

where does Lance say his time was after a 5+ hour ride?
Froome implies that he did 130km before the climb
Froome says nothing about what kind of bike he was using
He says his best time is 32 minutes

Sorry, not normal