• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
5:20 off the winning pace would catch my eye too considering he rode a beach-cruiser. i have to admit that is impressive. :rolleyes:

i remember seeing his power file on training peaks and thinking that 406 watts for just under an hour at 145 bpm for hr seemed odd for a 70kg rider.

JV mentioned in some interview that the enhanced donkeys were obvious because they just don't look right. to me, that is how Froome strikes me. it's not the actual performances that are shocking, as somebody has to be the fastest in any race, but he doesn't display the body control of nearly all great athletes. there are always exceptions, though, so he must be given the benefit of the doubt.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
Why not good old Homologous enriched blood doping in new plasticizer free bags?

Remember: Lance was not caught after 2005. AC was caught on a contaminated supplement/beef (I am 100% sure AC doped, but the Clen case was just a sham).

Contrary to what the public thinks: Blood doping is still undetectable!

AFAIK, the following is how post-2000 doping works?

Autologous blood transfusions tend to cause the reticulocyte count to fall? So if an athlete has multiple "top-ups," to sustain their form, then this is very visible on the biopassport. To keep their reticulocyte count looking normal, some EPO microdosing is often used.

But many athletes have been caught EPO microdosing, and even a few have been banned just for biopassport irregularities.

If Sky has a blood-doping program, then either: they've been exceptionally lucky; they're receiving preferential treatment; they've found a new drug; or they're doing "marginal gains doping" (levels too low to detect, but with only slight gains)?

This article has plenty of info:
http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/118/9/2395.full
"Some blood parameters, such as the concentration of Epo and reticulocytes (Ret), increase on administration of ESAs (ON-score), whereas they decrease after RBC transfusion or after the cessation of ESA administration (OFF-score)."

May 26, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
On 40 k course Froome was 17th, a distant 5:20 off the winning pace, and Brailsford says the performance "caught his eye?" What is taking us all for f-ucking morons?

Caught his eye as in:

Could be a cheap bottle fetcher?
Could be a great motor if the peloton needs to be towed?
Could win small TT's?
Could place hig in important TT's?
Could win important TT's?

Dave does not say what he saw in Froomey. There are many levels in the protour.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
vrusimov said:
What stories did you hear about Armstrong after he won the Vuelta in 1998? The Tour 99? It wasn't until about 2001 before allegations started surfacing about nefarious conduct.

By 2000 I had heard about the Hospital room, Baxter Pharmaceuticals, a team that was a "Science Experiment", Take the shot or you don't start, a bag of actovigen and syringes dumped, a positive for Cortisone, and a payoff to the UCI.

EnacheV said:
I think hes on AYHGD83201938 new superdrug

Im sure about it

You wont find anything google-ing it, its new and super secret.

As a side note

In 2013 New Scientist reported that "tests on rats showed that at all doses, the drug rapidly causes cancers in a multitude of organs, including the liver, bladder, stomach, skin, thyroid, tongue, testes, ovaries and womb

I'm sure Froome is on that.

Seriously, the amount of stupidity is beyond any words.

Froome comes across as more intelligent than your average pro, went to university etc. Do you think he'd be that daft to take a drug which causes cancer to such a degree ?

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
On 40 k course Froome was 17th, a distant 5:20 off the winning pace, and Brailsford says the performance "caught his eye?" What is taking us all for f-ucking morons?

You didn't read the article. It was that he did it on certain equipment that caught his eye. Froome was only 5:20 off riding a tricycle backwards. Brailsford was able to post that, on a TT bike and with a higher cadence, he had grand tour potential.

Franklin said:
Caught his eye as in:

Could win small TT's?

Though then he says he thought Froome to be a "diamond in the rough." Sounds like big star potential was in his mind. I just don't get it though. All the greats demonstrated much more at an early moment.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
jilbiker said:
... Neither is there any scientific evidence against Basso, but when we saw him win the Giro by 9 minutes we knew he wasn't Capt Superman....at least not naturally

Gérard Vroomen (co-founder of Cervélo) had some interesting words re: Basso winning the Giro, and the Schlecks for that matter. Remarkably frank & damning.

That was the beginning of the end for Mr. Vroomen / Cervélo relationship. Not enough of a doper-cheerleader/apologist, I s'pose. Kinda like Lance/LeMond/Trek.

alanshearer said:
You didn't read the article. It was that he did it on certain equipment that caught his eye. Froome was only 5:20 off riding a tricycle backwards. Brailsford was able to post that, on a TT bike and with a higher cadence, he had grand tour potential.

No, yes I did read the article. Different equipment? What was he on this? :D

jc-1.jpg

bigcog said:
Froome comes across as more intelligent than your average pro, went to university etc. Do you think he'd be that daft to take a drug which causes cancer to such a degree ?

You are kidding right? He is an elite athlete. They don't care about long time health, at all. This is elite sports.

Also, a survey was done anonymously on Olympic athletes. Would they take a win pill if it meant they would get gold but that would kill them in 5 years. More than half said they would die for a gold medal.
Check Goldman Dilemma.

Did you ever read the Iliad? Do you know what Achilles choose? Why we still talk about Achilles today? Because he choose to grow old with his family?

And with cyclists it is even more obvious. They decent at 90 km/h at risk of instant death.

So no, it's not a matter of intelligence. Armstrong knew he got cancer from doping. But he doped stronger. He knew the general public would buy his "I had cancer why would I risk my health"-line. But for him it was, "I already got cancer and lived, so now I have to risk all and win the TdF'"

rhubroma said:

Apparently, he did it on a beach cruiser with a coaster brake and two flat tires...

ETA: It looks like we're reaching consensus on that...LOL

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Franklin said:
Why not good old Homologous enriched blood doping in new plasticizer free bags?

Remember: Lance was not caught after 2005. AC was caught on a contaminated supplement/beef (I am 100% sure AC doped, but the Clen case was just a sham).

Contrary to what the public thinks: Blood doping is still undetectable!

But it's harder to get the same benefits and yesteryear

and if it is still the old methods, then why are Froome/Sky getting most of the benefits? especially as there's other teams with a longer history of doing it who'd you would think were more practised?

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Franklin said:
Caught his eye as in:

Could win small TT's?

I've definitely posted this before but when they announced that they'd win the tour in 5 years they were thinking Kennaugh or Froome. I think it was as much for publicity as anything but those were the two they had identified. Wiggins getting his 09 Tour result opened up the new option but he wasn't the original thinking.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
No way in hell they were thinking of Froome. Lets not forget this time 2 years ago Froome was a few weeks away from being offered a new contract for a £100k.

pan_y_agua said:
Gérard Vroomen (co-founder of Cervélo) had some interesting words re: Basso winning the Giro, and the Schlecks for that matter. Remarkably frank & damning.

That was the beginning of the end for Mr. Vroomen / Cervélo relationship. Not enough of a doper-cheerleader/apologist, I s'pose. Kinda like Lance/LeMond/Trek.

Vroomen founded Cervelo with White. For whatever reason, White had more control over the business decisions. Vroomen distanced himself from the company. White ran the business into the ground, resulting in it being acquired by a company that could save it. I don't think talk about doping had anything to do with it.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Zweistein said:
No, he never won the the Vuelta and yes there were already insinuations at the 99 tour. Quit making stuff up.

Tone it down my friend...my mistake, he only finished 4th Vuelta 98... and were the insinuations any match for what we have heard about Froome before he's even won a tour?:p

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
8 s/km deficit to Nathan O'Neill (Health Net Pro Cycling Team). Incredible, he must be even more talented than Bradley Wiggins (7 time Tour de l'Avenir overall winner, wasn't it? Something like that, doesn't matter).

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Fact or fiction:

Servais Kraven, in the DS car behind the new TT king of the world named Christ de Vrome, is enjoying the ride of his pupil. Christ has about ten K to go and is just about 3 seconds faster than Toni der Bestellwagen Murtin, the 26 time World Champion TT' ing.

Servais' phone rings. He looks at the screen and it says Patrick L. and thinks fukc me, what does he want? You must know, Patrick was the man behind Kraven's carreer succes.

He picks up the phone.
''Hello Servais, it's me, Patrick. Say, Servais, do you remember that little anti - doping convenant you had to sign for Team Slick?''
Servais:
''Yes, of course Patrickske, why?''
Patrick:
''Well, Servais, we both know doc Yvan still has those 'training' schedules you used in the lead up to that magnificent Panis R. win, or did you forget that?You know what to do Servais.''

Patrick L. hangs up.

Servais picks up the intercom and tells Christ to slow down, Vulva and the other Spanish doper are at enough distance, Der Toni and not to forget d'n Patrick are very happy campers.

Only winners today.

Now THAT'S what I call a conspiracy theory.
Marvellous, chapeau to you sir.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
By 2000 I had heard about the Hospital room, Baxter Pharmaceuticals, a team that was a "Science Experiment", Take the shot or you don't start, a bag of actovigen and syringes dumped, a positive for Cortisone, and a payoff to the UCI.

Yeah, that was back in my starry-eyed, miracle-believing days so my confirmation bias was in full effect...:D

He did not actually win Vuelta 98 but both he and Froome had similar beginnings in Spain.

Race Radio said:

Pseudo science perhaps?

By 2011 I’d heard about Leinders, Tenerife, Porte speaking with Ashenden, TUEs, blood diseases that come and go in the off-season, hyper weight loss/increase in power and hitting the magical Ferrari number amongst other things.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Froome and Porte are the cocky overambitious type. Brailsford has trouble managing them.

Actually the opposite might be true. Brainsford himself is a cocky dismissive guy. He is in all likelihood an enabler and the brash arrogant approach is no different than the brand The Brain has been fronting since the beginning.

TRENDING THREADS