• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 315 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Full of ***, don't you think? This Badzhilla thing.

I read the badzilla thread and I'm quite amazed that a lot of people actually bother discussing disease and treatment details, creating timelines, doing detective work. As much as I want to believe in the benevolent possibilities, I buy none of it.

Call me a cynic but to me the lights go red as soon as I hear "athlete x has a strange disease" or "I got it from a steak". I just don't believe top athletes of major sports, with considerable contracts, could possibly have unspotted serious diseases, or would drink, eat, or take any drugs of uncertain origin.

It's like Barça saying, "you know what, funny thing, after all Messi got dengue some time ago that's why his blood parameters are a bit odd". No one would possibly entertain the idea. Or, hey, Cristiano Ronaldo, after all has "testosteronitotosis", a rare freak genetic mutation only observed in people from the Madeira island...

I enjoy cycling nonetheless. I like watching Froome zipping madly up the Ventoux, Evans winning the TdF without a team having to fight alone, like I loved watching Pantani, Virenque and Armstrong, or Riise and Indurain before that. No problem with dopers and cheaters. Unfortunately it's part of sports in general. And, I'll be damned, doped cycling is substantially entertaining.

What is frustrating is the prevalent "cycling is much cleaner now" rhetoric. As if. People like Wiggins shouting out loud he is clean and anyone who dopes is a disgraceful cheater, the clean riders crap, the "we will make our data public" stunt. I think what cyclists need to do is to shut up and ride their bikes. Then, the anti-doping authorities should test them and ban whomever cheats. That's it. If each part does their job, cycling should have a bright future. If everybody just keeps talking trash about doping, with no relevant changes to the sport and it's controls, the future is grim.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
rsergio007 said:
I read the badzilla thread and I'm quite amazed that a lot of people actually bother discussing disease and treatment details, creating timelines, doing detective work. As much as I want to believe in the benevolent possibilities, I buy none of it.

Call me a cynic but to me the lights go red as soon as I hear "athlete x has a strange disease" or "I got it from a steak". I just don't believe top athletes of major sports, with considerable contracts, could possibly have unspotted serious diseases, or would drink, eat, or take any drugs of uncertain origin.

<snipped>

Very much agree with this. It reminded me of recent statements by Eros Capecchi which raised all sorts of question marks for me, especially with the approaching Vuelta (a race which I think has sometimes been used to test out new doping regimes prior to next year's season - by many riders/teams over the years.)

Anyway, the Capecchi stuff is off-topic, so I'll put the quote in the Movistar thread instead.

Froome in Aspen

So Froome is looking at his stem at Buttermilk, Aspen - wonder if he has bumped into Lance ??

Michelle Cound@michellecound19h
Feeling the effects of the altitude @chrisfroome @ Buttermilk Mountain http://instagram.com/p/dDUs_lMoF8/

Tweeted it was her first trip to USA - I imagine that's Froomes first trip as well - bit like his first foray to Belgium the other week. He hasn't been many places in his professional racing career has he :rolleyes:

Cycle Chic said:
Tweeted it was her first trip to USA - I imagine that's Froomes first trip as well - bit like his first foray to Belgium the other week. He hasn't been many places in his professional racing career has he :rolleyes:

I was going through some of my photos just the other day from the 2011 Tour Of California - and boom - hey that guy looks just like C. Froome (shopping cart pushing arm position and all) in a team Sky Jersey. Wow it was him in a chase group up Sierra Road with Peter Sagan....I had no idea he was in that race.

Cycle Chic said:
So Froome is looking at his stem at Buttermilk, Aspen - wonder if he has bumped into Lance ??

Michelle Cound@michellecound19h
Feeling the effects of the altitude �� @chrisfroome @ Buttermilk Mountain http://instagram.com/p/dDUs_lMoF8/

hey wonder if they are going to Cache Cache?......

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

Errr, Froome lived in Tielt-Winge, Belgium when he was at Konica-Minolta

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
'I definitely think there need to be harsher penalties for people who break the rules,' he says. 'I'm not so sure they should be allowed back into the sport at all.

'Maybe I'd implement lifetime bans for people who did blood bags or EPO - or something that you know is 100 per cent cheating. I think in this day and age if there are new cases, I would like to see those guys out of the sport.

'Cases from 10 years ago, that doesn't concern me anymore. It was almost a different sport back then. It was so different to the sport we have today.

'I'm not going to try and justify why they did it then, but it was certainly more accepted than it is now, this day and age it's just not acceptable.'

Froome insists Pound is wrong in his perception that the Tour cannot be trusted.

'I think it's a shame he doesn't still watch because I know it's a race that you can believe in and certainly a race that can be won clean,' he says. 'I've got faith in the testing procedures. We've had a few positives this year already and that goes to show those guys aren't getting away with it anymore. 'In **** Pound's time there wasn't the biological passport in play in the way it is today. That naturally lifts up a red flag when people do go outside natural levels.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...ngratulated-Chris-Froome-Tour-France-win.html

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like we have a 'true believer' in here.

Not surprised. That final paragraph from Froome is almost exactly what Armstrong said on the Tour podium in 2005.

Some people never learn.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Love that 'things you know are 100% cheating' - who knew there were degrees of cheating? Guess that's the mental dance you do with yourself to justify what you're doing as not 100% therefore not punishable.

Plus ca change...

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Love that 'things you know are 100% cheating' - who knew there were degrees of cheating? Guess that's the mental dance you do with yourself to justify what you're doing as not 100% therefore not punishable.

Plus ca change...

I noticed that too, makes me think they have something undectable.

Great article from Rue 89 Sport during the Tour.

"The die is cast"
The yellow jersey that rips grin followers to climb into the ugliest I have ever had to see for style Francisco Mancebo . Froome climbs like a skeleton grandma pushing her pram to the mountains. His ankles and knees grow outward, his body was never in the axis. Yet he wins, because his power / weight ratio is much higher than anyone in the bunch.

http://www.rue89.com/rue89-sport/2013/07/06/tour-france-avale-potion-sky-244019

On Millar's tweet that Sky are Clean...

David Millar is supposed to have a clear vision of the state of the field. [size=+0]In truth, he walks with a cane for the blind.[/size]

Scroll down to the bottom for some great comments...comparing Frome to the Lance Sestriere 1999....the speed of Armstrong is unbelieveable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ze0Vljiyhw

I missed this !

oldcrank said:
Agreed. After about 18 months of daily juicing (including beetroot, carrot
and celery among others) I believe it is contributing to me beating some
of my best ITT times from 40 years ago. Of course I also use science-based products like the Elite Gel Max multi-source energy with caffeine from
Manchester based premium sports nutrition experts CNP that Froomie
and Ritchie use.

Oldcrank thank you so much for the intro. CNP - everyone uses their stuff. Based in Manchester. Kerry Kayes is one of the two founders. Long term relationship with British Cycling, going way back.
You can go to a seminar with Kerry
Now what was the name of their company before hand, you know when the WCPP were getting started and needed a supplements company?
I just can't recall it.
The other founder was Paul Borresen. Is it true that Kerry and Paul met with British Cycling staff to discuss a nutrition program for the sprint team? Steve Paulding keen on taking the sprinters to meet his associates ?