• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 464 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
The height issue will be affected by all sorts of factors, including increasing average height of men (up a couple of centimetres since the war), and differences in average height in different populations: the TdeF has seen an influx of people from taller populations. For instance, the average height of a British male is around 1.5-2cms or so taller than the average Spaniard/Italian;. Thus the fact that Wiggins is 2cms taller than Indurain could simply be put down to the fact that he is a similar height in relation to the British population as Indurain is to the Spanish; of the 6 cyclists above 1.78, 5 are Northern European.

Looking at postwar winners (and I've not managed to track down the heights of some of the earlier ones), it looks basically as if there's a cluster around 1.73-1.76, with a fall off either side, and a few outliers, (more above than below, admittedly!). The multiple winners do seem skewed to the higher end, but that might just be the very small sample.

Heights I've traced:
1.60 Robic
1.71 Delgado
1.72 Pantani
1.73 Zoetemelk, Sastre, Gaul
1.74 Fignon, Hinault, Evans
1.75 Roche
1.76 Anquetil, Contador, Schleck
1.77 Armstrong, Coppi
1.78 Lemond, Pereiro
1.83 Ulrich
1.85 Merckx, Froome
1.86 Riis
1.88 Indurain
1.90 Wiggins

Quite a few sources say that Coppi was 1.87 tall.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
blencathra said:
The height issue will be affected by all sorts of factors, including increasing average height of men (up a couple of centimetres since the war), and differences in average height in different populations: the TdeF has seen an influx of people from taller populations. For instance, the average height of a British male is around 1.5-2cms or so taller than the average Spaniard/Italian;. Thus the fact that Wiggins is 2cms taller than Indurain could simply be put down to the fact that he is a similar height in relation to the British population as Indurain is to the Spanish; of the 6 cyclists above 1.78, 5 are Northern European.

Looking at postwar winners (and I've not managed to track down the heights of some of the earlier ones), it looks basically as if there's a cluster around 1.73-1.76, with a fall off either side, and a few outliers, (more above than below, admittedly!). The multiple winners do seem skewed to the higher end, but that might just be the very small sample.

Heights I've traced:
1.60 Robic
1.71 Delgado
1.72 Pantani
1.73 Zoetemelk, Sastre, Gaul
1.74 Fignon, Hinault, Evans
1.75 Roche
1.76 Anquetil, Contador, Schleck
1.77 Armstrong, Coppi
1.78 Lemond, Pereiro
1.83 Ulrich
1.85 Merckx, Froome
1.86 Riis
1.88 Indurain
1.90 Wiggins

Quite a few sources say that Coppi was 1.87 tall.

Coppie certainly looks taller than Armstrong.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
blencathra said:
The multiple winners do seem skewed to the higher end, but that might just be the very small sample..

Not sure about this one.

Lemond, Hinault, Lance, Fignon, Anquetil versus Merckx and Indurain.

Even if we scratch Lance that's still a significant bias towards smaller than 1.80

That said, slightly OT. I always have to grin when I see Miguel in the peloton and then thinking about my highschool. Miguel would be pretty average in my class :D

May 26, 2009
Visit site
blencathra said:
Have to be careful with that - they are both leaning back against the fence, Hinault rather more so. But, having said that, the http://www.astrotheme.fr website lists Fignon at 1.82!

I'm certain Fignon did not measure 1.82 . Too many pictures (and his bikes) show that he's pretty close to Hinault and Lemond in size. 1.82 was BIG in the 80ies peloton and would have stood out.

fignon2_1705765c.jpg

fignon-and-hinault-the-old-duelists.jpg

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Franklin said:
Not sure about this one.

Lemond, Hinault, Lance, Fignon, Anquetil versus Merckx and Indurain.

Even if we scratch Lance that's still a significant bias towards smaller than 1.80

Yes - I expressed that badly! I was thinking more about average heights of population when I wrote that: even the smallest were marginally above their birth cohort's average height for their country (although no info for Armstrong/USA).

I'd agree about Fignon - simply reporting the statement. Heights are a bit of minefield!

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
whittashau said:
Truly a monumental cheat. Froome supporters are weird creatures. Like people who enjoy Justin Bieber or something

I dont mind people supporting Froome. But pretending he is clean, that is idiocy of the highest order. People who do that should get automatically banned for trolling from now on.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I dont mind people supporting Froome. But pretending he is clean, that is idiocy of the highest order. People who do that should get automatically banned for trolling from now on.

Right. This ****'s beyond ridiculous now. He's more ludicrous than Armstrong ever was.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Franklin said:
Am I missing something? 8 seconds is actually (much) less than I feared.

Over 10 ks? When the rest of the top ten separated by 5 seconds? And Froome (even in his current guise) being a mediocre prologue rider? i'd say it's pretty bad.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
whittashau said:
Truly a monumental cheat. Froome supporters are weird creatures. Like people who enjoy Justin Bieber or something

lol omg i would loved you're recation if Contaodr won. You be like thats my man(convicted CHEAT). Septic is the worst though he contradicts himself every time hate's froome for doping yet loves Contador you have to admit that is hilarious.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
TANK91 said:
lol omg i would loved you're recation if Contaodr won. You be like thats my man(convicted CHEAT). Septic is the worst though he contradicts himself every time hate's froome for doping yet loves Contador you have to admit that is hilarious.

But Contador didn't win. He was trounced. A convicted cheat is losing a second per kilometre to 'your man'. How do you explain that?

TRENDING THREADS