• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 552 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
msjett said:
he is however following a similar downward trajectory that Wiggins has.

Last time I looked the guy did incredibly well at the spring classics he rode, then flew to California and won that with a young group of domestiques. I'm not saying Cali's race is WT elite, but whatever happened to Wiggo seemed to clear up 2014.

Sky sure is paying the big bucks to keep Wiggo out of the elite races.

Kicker661 said:
Froome vanished from social media the past month because he wanted absolute focus and concentration to train for the Vuelta.

I reckon they simply stuffed up his prep for the race. During his time off they probably had him going to hard for to long when he should have eased up then tried to peak again.

Is there evidence out there that shows SKY able to have a rider crash out early then bring him back later in the season in winning form?

Eh, well, Froomie went riding with his unapologetic doper friend Levi in Wine Country USA. Seems legit. ;)

Throughout bicycle racing history riders have had serious injuries and returned to good form. Modern GC podium contenders succeed in doing the Giro/Vuelta double. They are competitive in both. It's been a little while, but the Vuelta used to take place in the spring. (I think)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Eh, well, Froomie went riding with his unapologetic doper friend Levi in Wine Country USA. Seems legit. ;)

To all accounts Levi truly is a nice guy, but you got to wonder what the F**K Froome and his minders were thinking.

More important, it once agains shows how hollow the rethoric has been. The supposed disgust about dopers is all a sham.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree with others Froome injury at the Tour isn't enough to have such a downturn in form. He had 7/8 weeks from pulling out of the Tour to the start in Spain. Would have been able to train indoors within a short space of time and already had 'Tour form' to build on.

thehog said:
The Sky riders certainly all appear to have mentally fallen apart, Wiggins, Porte and now Froome.

Some truth in this, and there are other riders you could add to that trio.
Rather than blame the riders, I think the fault lies at the top........brailsford badly mishandled the wiggins froome feud and lost the trust of both riders.
Then News Corp made him sack any DS with a link to drugs in the past, thereby leaving both wiggins & froome bereft.
As I said last year, sky is a project heading now back to land.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Last time I looked the guy did incredibly well at the spring classics he rode, then flew to California and won that with a young group of domestiques. I'm not saying Cali's race is WT elite, but whatever happened to Wiggo seemed to clear up 2014.

Sky sure is paying the big bucks to keep Wiggo out of the elite races.

I can look forward to Froome riding the classics and winning Cali in 2016? The point I was making is that Wiggins had a steep decline in attitude/form post Super 2012....Froome seems to be following suit...

beginners guide to riding time trials...rule 1: don't go flat out too early and blow up....
Team Sky's team leader...after a night on his own fluffed-up pillow and a morning of avoiding nutella...he goes out...eh...flat out too early and blows up....still, as ever looking for marginal gains, he managed to explain it all on an extensive warm down :)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
gillan1969 said:
beginners guide to riding time trials...rule 1: don't go flat out too early and blow up....
Team Sky's team leader...after a night on his own fluffed-up pillow and a morning of avoiding nutella...he goes out...eh...flat out too early and blows up....still, as ever looking for marginal gains, he managed to explain it all on an extensive warm down :)

That's what Wiggo did at the 2011 Vuelta.

Froome was all over the place yesterday - even Kirby and Kelly commented on it. Kelly said he looked awkward and uncomfortable on the bike.

At the finish Froome had snot and saliva coming out of his nose and mouth.....a la Tony Martin...never seen Froome with genuine fatigue before.

When he kicked on the mountain stage on sunday you could see that there was 'nothing in the tank'

May 26, 2009
Visit site
gillan1969 said:

Yes and no.

Top times in timed sports (Swimming, running, cycling etc.) generally have a good second half... but if you look at the splits the first half isn't exactly slow either. The line between going too fast and just fast enough is very, very thin.

IOW, Froome loosing ten seconds on AC in the first part was too fast for current day Froome, but for a TT rider of his stature it was not exactly unreasonable.

He just isn't good enough.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Franklin said:
Yes and no.

Top times in timed sports (Swimming, running, cycling etc.) generally have a good second half... but if you look at the splits the first half isn't exactly slow either. The line between going too fast and just fast enough is very, very thin.

IOW, Froome loosing ten seconds on AC in the first part was too fast for current day Froome, but for a TT rider of his stature it was not exactly unreasonable.

He just isn't good enough.

you mean he just isn't doped enough

What now boys?

Chris+Froome+Richie+Porte+Le+Tour+de+France+wbmThVxUIvRl.jpg

Tasmanian ticks, West Nile virus or maybe increase the training rides to 10h+

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Compared to the top GC riders, Froome was the worst in the first two sectors and the second best (behind Uran, equal with Contador) in the third. I don't think he went out too hard.

edit: Sorry, checked what he actually said. If he went too hard before the climb, I can buy that. Though I think mostly he was just not going too well.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Do riders risk getting caught by stocking up through a GT. If he is doping this Vuelta, when is the times he will do it, rest days?. Contador is the one who is shocking me but his base has been great all year ala Froome 13. I also disagree about Froome going Wiggins route, Froome is very motivated. Wiggins went wierd in 2013.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it seems hard to believe that he would have overcooked had he followed the chances in pace like everyone else, yet still be amongst the best at the end. Bizarre.

msjett said:
I can look forward to Froome riding the classics and winning Cali in 2016? The point I was making is that Wiggins had a steep decline in attitude/form post Super 2012....Froome seems to be following suit...

All true!!! Given both had WT experience then transformed themselves pessimists would say the declines were somehow doping related.

Another strange performance on the MTF today. This time his team dropped him. Stranger still.

SeriousSam said:
Yeah, it seems hard to believe that he would have overcooked had he followed the chances in pace like everyone else, yet still be amongst the best at the end. Bizarre.

He probably used the inhaler when he was about to get dropped. Or maybe he remembered suddenly to take out the cotton left in his nostril after yesterday's TT.