• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 949 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nigel Mitchell (Cannondale nutritionist) & Sky's current nutritionist Dr James Morton have both said recently that riders do often gain weight throughout a GT and preventing that is a large part of what they do. They say generally riders gain or loose up to 1.5kg over 3 weeks depending on what their nutrition strategy is. They also talk about GC riders gaining weight during the very stressful days in the mountains because the higher the stress on the body, the more cortisol released into the muscles and muscles retain more fluid as a consequence and weight goes up more on hard days than easy flat days. They also discuss too much sodium within hydration strategies is difficult to manage over an entire 3 weeks and gradually causes more and more fluids to be held onto also. I too assumed every rider looses weight. They might loose some body fat it seems, but many other factors are also at play that offset it too it seems. They also talk about how GC leaders need to load up on the easy days because how you eat two days before has an effect when you hit the mountains. They said it's difficult to find the balance of carb loading enough to not hit trouble in mountains, but also not gain too much weight from eating the additional calories on the easy days where you won't burn them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
Nigel Mitchell (Cannondale nutritionist) & Sky's current nutritionist Dr James Morton have both said recently that riders do often gain weight throughout a GT and preventing that is a large part of what they do. They say generally riders gain or loose up to 1.5kg over 3 weeks depending on what their nutrition strategy is. They also talk about GC riders gaining weight during the very stressful days in the mountains because the higher the stress on the body, the more cortisol released into the muscles and muscles retain more fluid as a consequence and weight goes up more on hard days than easy flat days. They also discuss too much sodium within hydration strategies is difficult to manage over an entire 3 weeks and gradually causes more and more fluids to be held onto also. I too assumed every rider looses weight. They might loose some body fat it seems, but many other factors are also at play that offset it too it seems. They also talk about how GC leaders need to load up on the easy days because how you eat two days before has an effect when you hit the mountains. They said it's difficult to find the balance of carb loading enough to not hit trouble in mountains, but also not gain too much weight from eating the additional calories on the easy days where you won't burn them.

2 teams that sell snakeoil.

Benotti69 said:
samhocking said:

And that's your comeback about riders gaining weight?

how about dealing with what they say

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
It's not their research, it's already known outside and before sky and slipstream started.
Could you provide links to the original research?

Otherwise this has the credibility of a toothpaste commercial.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
samhocking said:

Body composition. That and water retention doesn't equal weight gain. It is indisputable that the body undergoes muscle decomposition or catabolic reactions (proven via metabolites in the blood). It's true that blood plasma volume expands during intense periods of exercise, which also leads to fluid retention. Note that the body is still deteriorating over three weeks and performance should decline. But gaining weight as in body mass? Hah!

Also, prior to the pharmaceuticals of the last 25 years, it was common practice to enter a GT with a few kilos of extra fat and muscle to counteract these phenomenon. These days it's all skeletor all the time. Recovery pharmaceuticals are one hell of a drug.

John Swanson

samhocking said:

Froome's ridden so many GTs that you'd think that Sky would know his nutrition needs by now (specially with all the "marginal gains" they talk about).

rick james said:
Benotti69 said:
samhocking said:

Its Benotti - what he says goes because he is the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to nutrition, training, sports science, etc.

rick james said:
Benotti69 said:
samhocking said:

If Bennoti deals with what they say will you start answering some of our arguments, or just continue ignoring them>

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-an-explosive-expose-of-russias-a7870531.html

During the race itself, he was able to recover quickly. “At the end of the first week I was ready and charged for the second week,” he says. “I had a sports psychologist with me who said it was incredible – my body wasn’t breaking down, the muscles were recovering easily.”
“Drugs don’t suddenly make you Lance Armstrong. If you’re not at that level, you never will be. But they are spectacular in allowing the body to recover and compete better.”
If Froome blasts all in the ITT in the Vuelta's third week and climbs with the best afterwards then I think it should raise some eyebrows.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-an-explosive-expose-of-russias-a7870531.html

During the race itself, he was able to recover quickly. “At the end of the first week I was ready and charged for the second week,” he says. “I had a sports psychologist with me who said it was incredible – my body wasn’t breaking down, the muscles were recovering easily.”
“Drugs don’t suddenly make you Lance Armstrong. If you’re not at that level, you never will be. But they are spectacular in allowing the body to recover and compete better.”
If Froome blasts all in the ITT in the Vuelta's third week and climbs with the best afterwards then I think it should raise some eyebrows.

If their eyebrows weren't raised by the 2011 Vuelta, 2012 Tour, and 2013 Tour they are beyond help and they will remain permanently closed.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

rick james said:
sniper said:
https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/893014361568145408

Love that tweet from Tucker. Fits in many threads, but arguably best in this one.

A tweet about a runner, a female runner, yet you want to turn it on Froome :confused:

:lol:

"If you can’t spot the set of lies your hero has thrown your way, you’d best start looking up and wonder what else you’re missing in life."

I can see why you are confused, as it does indeed imply to Skyfansboys. What is missing rick?

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
rick james said:
sniper said:
https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/893014361568145408

Love that tweet from Tucker. Fits in many threads, but arguably best in this one.

A tweet about a runner, a female runner, yet you want to turn it on Froome :confused:

:lol:

One you also believe is clean no?

I don't know one way or the other, I know as much as you, its all guess work...

if I was going to say he or anyone else is dirty I'd try and back it up with true facts