• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 965 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
Benotti69 said:
Singer01 said:
I have nothing to add on the current performance of CF, however can we agree that the angsty emo 'i'm done with cycling' is pathetic in the extreme, if you are done with it, have the courage of your convictions and go away. What a load of melodrama over men riding bikes.

You said nothing to add clinic wise then attack posters! Trolling in other words!

Are people not allowed give a voice to their opinion. Is this not what the forum is for?

When asked whether Froome and Brailsford are serial liars, you claimed not to know? One wonders why you are even posting in the clinic when it has been proven plenty of times that Sky, Froome, Wiggins and Brailsford constantly lied.
Well if those posters were telling the truth instead of being little babies they wouldn't be around to read the attack, as they would have 'given up on cycling' and gone and found something else to do.
You and i have massively different ideas of what proven means. And also the leap from lying to doping is not a given either.
"If you’re a cheat, you're a cheat, you're not half a cheat. You wouldn't say, 'I'll cheat here but I'm not going to cheat over there; I'll cheat on a Monday but not on a Tuesday.'

"So we were doping in the Olympics too? If I'm a doper, if I'm a liar, I'm a liar in my personality through and through. So why didn't I dope the Olympic team for the last 15 years? Have I just decided I'm going to do it with this team? I'm not going to do it over there but I'll cheat here? Full gas

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Singer, I think it's fair to discuss the "i wont watch anymore" statements.

But remember that is a statement origined/explained, in beliefs of current state of cycling.

Given the history of cycling, just hammering at that statement -while refusing to comment on it's origin is a bit out of bounds.

hfer07 said:
What bothers me the most is the fact that Froome MOCKS the rest of riders by Yo-Yo-ing, pretending he's fading so then he can kill'em with a ridiculous acceleration.......

Today Nibali & Baharein threw everything at him- everything- but Froomie- with a Tour already in his legs- is riding at the top of his powers and fresher than ever.....

just disgusting :mad:

ok, let´s try again.
the people yo-yoing ARE the others, who attack, then slow down, then accelerate again and so on. Froome keeps a steady pace. he does not mock, he goes 15kmh steady, while the others go 20 kmh, then slow down to 10kmh, then look back, then again accelerate and so on.
the effort is more controlled instead of burst that then you pay for.

Singer01 said:
Electress said:
Singer01 said:
I have nothing to add on the current performance of CF, however can we agree that the angsty emo 'i'm done with cycling' is pathetic in the extreme, if you are done with it, have the courage of your convictions and go away. What a load of melodrama over men riding bikes.

It's a forum, no? Surely a place to express frustration about what one likes/dislikes about what is happening in the sport?
Of course, a forum is a place for discussion and ranting and raving, but saying 'thats it, i'm not watching cycling anymore' just reeks of teenage angst.

Perhaps it does to you. I would rather characterise my own and other posters remarks regarding 'giving up on cycling' etc. as 'reeking of frustration'. I won't repeat here the reasons for this, because in the main, posters have articulated their frustrations in their posts.

One could, of course, interpret your posts as strangely angry and dismissive, not just of the comments themselves but of the posters as well. Why are you so annoyed because we don't like what we are seeing? Why call us babies and pathetic? Why such emotion over men riding bikes?

Electress said:
Singer01 said:
Electress said:
Singer01 said:

It's a forum, no? Surely a place to express frustration about what one likes/dislikes about what is happening in the sport?
Of course, a forum is a place for discussion and ranting and raving, but saying 'thats it, i'm not watching cycling anymore' just reeks of teenage angst.

Perhaps it does to you. I would rather characterise my own and other posters remarks regarding 'giving up on cycling' etc. as 'reeking of frustration'. I won't repeat here the reasons for this, because in the main, posters have articulated their frustrations in their posts.

One could, of course, interpret your posts as strangely angry and dismissive, not just of the comments themselves but of the posters as well. Why are you so annoyed because we don't like what we are seeing? Why call us babies and pathetic? Why such emotion over men riding bikes?

Yours is a completely legitimate response. Lots of frienss and I had hit that point w/ the Tour by 2003 easily.

King Boonen said:
The Hegelian said:
I stopped during the US Postal years. Very close to stopping again. For me, a big part of the joy of road cycling is its unpredictable, uncontrollable, anarchic nature. Sky have been like an omnipresent black python just strangling that element of the race to death.

Is it the one team always winning or the same rider always winning that's the problem? Or the style of racing? Because since WW2 the same rider winning multiple tours with 2-4 years flux in between is pretty common. Bobet, Anquetil, Hinault, LeMond, Indurain, Armstrong, Contador, Froome, it's a fairly consistent pattern.

It's basically a combination of style + something like **plausibility.**

So, Banesto-Indurain for example, was terrible for style, but I could believe in Indurain's talent/pedigree. Obviously we all know the epo era started then, but it was basically plausible to watch.

Then, watching riders like Jalabert riding with the best climbers was just ridiculously unbelievable, and soon after, Armstrong transforming to a GC contender was similarly unbelievable. Combine that with super team that strangles the race = unwatchable.

I think Sky are pretty similar.

Froome needs motorcycle goggles ... :D

sptdw20026_670.jpg

Re:

samhocking said:
I think what is not liked is Sky have clearly broken down the requirements of what is required to win, analysed it and built it back up into a how to win strategy.
they are not liked because they hide the easy way out fix they use - doping, behind this kind of nonsensical spin that pretends that they are winning because of racial British superiority and "hard work"

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Froome had only ever completed 2 grand Tours, 83rd at the Tour 2008 and 36th at the Giro in 2009, 2010 Giro he disqualified after holding onto a police bike after being dropped by the gruppeto. Since 2011 though he has 9 grand tours under his belt, never finished below 4th. (4) firsts (4) seconds, (1) fourth.

The bilharzia virus was holding back the greatest grand tour cyclist in history? Oh he decided to get lean too.

He is just as dominant as Lance was at the Tour. Although I never saw Lance, drop all his rivals while in the saddle.

The Hegelian said:
King Boonen said:
The Hegelian said:
I stopped during the US Postal years. Very close to stopping again. For me, a big part of the joy of road cycling is its unpredictable, uncontrollable, anarchic nature. Sky have been like an omnipresent black python just strangling that element of the race to death.

Is it the one team always winning or the same rider always winning that's the problem? Or the style of racing? Because since WW2 the same rider winning multiple tours with 2-4 years flux in between is pretty common. Bobet, Anquetil, Hinault, LeMond, Indurain, Armstrong, Contador, Froome, it's a fairly consistent pattern.

It's basically a combination of style + something like **plausibility.**

So, Banesto-Indurain for example, was terrible for style, but I could believe in Indurain's talent/pedigree. Obviously we all know the epo era started then, but it was basically plausible to watch.

Then, watching riders like Jalabert riding with the best climbers was just ridiculously unbelievable, and soon after, Armstrong transforming to a GC contender was similarly unbelievable. Combine that with super team that strangles the race = unwatchable.

I think Sky are pretty similar.

We're probably pretty much of a similar point of view then.

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
What's it like being British?...

...it's like winning life's lottery.

Love it that this rankles with other nationalities, get over yourselves.

Is being British ok if we're just the plucky underdogs?... I can play national stereotypes too, I don't like seeing those sneaky swarthy slimy cheating Mediterranean types do their thing with all the bribery, hand gestures, shoulder shrugging, ganging up on other teams and riding with emotion etc etc blah blah bollocks etc...ah, that feels better...nothing like a bit of casual racism in the morning, gets the blood flowing.

There is an element of the 'traditional' cycling nations in Europe having their noses put out of joint by US-Postal 15 years ago and Sky currently, you can try to hide it behind accusations of doping, motorised bikes etc but if Sky are doing that kind of thing you can bet other teams are too, particularly given the gossip and friendships that are struck up between riders from differing teams and the rider movements and transfers mean a steady flow of information between teams...no, this is very much continental Europe not liking it that an 'Anglo' rider or team are winning...jealousy is a very ugly trait.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
deviant said:

Is being British ok if we're just the plucky underdogs?... I can play national stereotypes too, I don't like seeing those sneaky swarthy slimy cheating Mediterranean types do their thing with all the bribery, hand gestures, shoulder shrugging, ganging up on other teams and riding with emotion etc etc blah blah bollocks etc...ah, that feels better...nothing like a bit of casual racism in the morning, gets the blood flowing.

There is an element of the 'traditional' cycling nations in Europe having their noses put out of joint by US-Postal 15 years ago and Sky currently, you can try to hide it behind accusations of doping, motorised bikes etc but if Sky are doing that kind of thing you can bet other teams are too, particularly given the gossip and friendships that are struck up between riders from differing teams and the rider movements and transfers mean a steady flow of information between teams...no, this is very much continental Europe not liking it that an 'Anglo' rider or team are winning...jealousy is a very ugly trait.

This is very much just very much stinking. That is. It's not just them winning, it's them *suddenly* completely dominating a sport (also on political level which make it stink even more) that wasn't exactly theirs over the past century.

It's them having made a total freak show of one of the biggest sports events in the world. Imagine Portugal suddenly dominating the Six Nations rugby or something.

It's a shame, because the British have a great sporting culture and are absolutely very welcome in the continental cycling world, but just NOT. THIS. WAY.

Sky are showing over and over again that they're complete clueless about traditional cycling manners and yet they're destroying everything physically.

deviant said:

Why do so many of you SkyBots insist on believing that the criticism is because the team is British???

Sky would get the exact same criticism for turning pack fodder into Indurain if they were Spanish, Belgian, Italian, French, Dutch, Australian - whatever. The criticism is because of the ridiculousness of their actions, nothing about nationality.

deviant said:
.no, this is very much continental Europe not liking it that an 'Anglo' rider or team are winning...jealousy is a very ugly trait.

This is total nonsense. It's not true in a general sense, and it's particularly not true on this forum, which is after all English-speaking and obviously anglo-phile if not even anglo-centric.

It does have to do with the amount of races Sky has been winning. If Movistar or Quickstep was winning that much (especially GCs), they would also be hated I'm sure. Which isn't irrational, since considering the sport's history winning follows doping, even if can't be proven legally.

Pennino said:
deviant said:

This is very much just very much stinking. That is. It's not just them winning, it's them *suddenly* completely dominating a sport (also on political level which make it stink even more) that wasn't exactly theirs over the past century.

It's them having made a total freak show of one of the biggest sports events in the world. Imagine Portugal suddenly dominating the Six Nations rugby or something.

It's a shame, because the British have a great sporting culture and are absolutely very welcome in the continental cycling world, but just NOT. THIS. WAY.

Sky are showing over and over again that they're complete clueless about traditional cycling manners and yet they're destroying everything physically.

When have manners had anything to do with it?

deviant said:

Funny the lenghts people go to to explain away basic human behaviours, in order to fit a narrative that makes them feel better at night.

People generally dont like liars, and its generally bad for prominent people to be caught in lies.

Sky have been lying for 5 years while dominating the sport, everyone can see that "marginal gains" is a facade.

Naturally people dont like this.

But NOOOO. It has to be that their british :eek:

The Hitch said:
deviant said:

Funny the lenghts people go to to explain away basic human behaviours, in order to fit a narrative that makes them feel better at night.

People generally dont like liars, and its generally bad for prominent people to be caught in lies.

Sky have been lying for 5 years while dominating the sport, everyone can see that "marginal gains" is a facade.

Naturally people dont like this.

But NOOOO. It has to be that their british :eek:

But Sky are hardly the only team being frugal with the truth are they? Unless I've missed all the others fessing up to doping. Liars are liars and the whole peloton's at it.

No matter how many long careful posts by Libertine, Hitch and others, it seems not to take.

It's not a matter of being "frugal with the truth", but of flagrant with the deception. There is a difference and it plays out among their fan base with no demonstrated depth of interest in the sport.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
TheSpud said:
Pennino said:
deviant said:

When have manners had anything to do with it?

My bad, couldn't find the right English words that quickly while being at work doing boring stuff.
I meant tactics, I meant those strange methods "everything for one captain, even if going with a second one would be only increasing chances" like with Landa in the Tour, but seen times and times before, for example with Froome and Wiggo in the Vuelta.

That is the strange thing about it. They seem to have no single clue about cycling but they're dominating in a ridiculous way. Yesterday's stage was a new milestone. Five men commanding while all the other captains are already on the limit. Insane and EVERYBODY who questions that has 100% right to do that.

Re:

aphronesis said:
No matter how many long careful posts by Libertine, Hitch and others, it seems not to take.

It's not a matter of being "frugal with the truth", but of flagrant with the deception. There is a difference and it plays out among their fan base with no demonstrated depth of interest in the sport.

I get that but name a team/rider that isn't flagrant with the deception when push comes to shove?

Cancellara's bike, Ryders bike, Demare and Nibali getting a tow from a car, Quintana not knowing the race was neutralised, sprinters cutting up opponents and claiming they didn't know they were there, any number of teams claiming the latest doper is a lone wolf, all of Sky's lies, Aru not knowing Froome had a mechanical, "it was the beef", I saw Haimar etc etc its ingrained in the culture of the sport lie lie lie and lie again.

I just don't think that "they lie" is the sole reason why Sky are disliked - if it was everyone in the peleton would be hated!

it's not that they lie. It's a smug pr machine that insults everyone's intelligence and says, " we don't lie, we've reinvented the wheel and we're just better." Most shy away from being commital unless the back is to the wall. Hitch mentioned Nibali being a recent exception and that cost him some fans. It also hurts the sport on a deeper level.

No one trusts JV for related reasons.

Froome is so HAPPY AND SMILING in this race....never seen this before with him. He,s usually very fake. He cant wipe the smile off his face.

In an interview the other day he stated that he wont lose form. How can he be so certain ? he actually stated he will not lose form.