• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 427 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
I can't find that post, but that is exactly the type of ignorance Bailsford aims his BS at.

Why does Froome so often attack once whereas sometimes other riders attack 10 x? Because Froome is so strong he only needs to attack once.
Identical to Contador on Verbier or Armstrong on Alpe, or Sestrieres or Pantani on Alpe.

When do riders attack multiple times in a climb? when they cant drop their opponent. So they have to go again. eg Schleck on Tourmalet.

There's this myth that Contador or Pantani or Armstrong always attacks 50 x on a climb but its just selective memory based on highlight reels. When they had riders match them they attacked multiple times, just like Froome went multiple times in the last minute of Pena Cabarga when Cobo matched him. When Contador was as strong as Froome however he didn't attack 50x, he attacked once and just like Froome rode it to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuS4glCoRqU The acceleration is about 30 seconds in. Its almost identical to that Froome 2013, 1 acceleration and goodbye everyone.

Or here is Contador on Arcalis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r45l4ndMZ_o
Again, 1 attack. None of that 50 attacks bull****, brailsford and trolls claim.

Actually Froome attacked, 3 or 4 times on Ventoux, though 2 were small accelerations not full out ones. Twice against Contador including the all time most ridiculous one, and then twice against Quintana. Sort of like Armstrong on Sestrieres actually. But hey, Froome is clean cos he only ever attacks once but everyone else is doping.

This bull**** argument belongs in Braisfraud's tabloids aimed at white van drivers, not in an educated cycling forum.

Finally someone talking sense. What gets me about Froome's transformation, appart from it being alien and thus not credible, is that it was accompanied by the Sky juggernaut and all the propaganda the media outlet had at its disposal. And I don’t trust Brailsford any more than I can throw him. However in taking access to a myth of Anglo-wholesomeness as counterweight and counterculture to Mediterranean omertà, which is laden with a passive racism, it has been sold as the “New Cycling" and as "clean" cycling.

Nothing against the British, mind you, but I find such falsehood appalling.

The Hitch said:
I can't find that post, but that is exactly the type of ignorance Bailsford aims his BS at.

Why does Froome so often attack once whereas sometimes other riders attack 10 x? Because Froome is so strong he only needs to attack once.
Identical to Contador on Verbier or Armstrong on Alpe, or Sestrieres or Pantani on Alpe.

When do riders attack multiple times in a climb? when they cant drop their opponent. So they have to go again. eg Schleck on Tourmalet.

There's this myth that Contador or Pantani or Armstrong always attacks 50 x on a climb but its just selective memory based on highlight reels. When they had riders match them they attacked multiple times, just like Froome went multiple times in the last minute of Pena Cabarga when Cobo matched him. When Contador was as strong as Froome however he didn't attack 50x, he attacked once and just like Froome rode it to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuS4glCoRqU The acceleration is about 30 seconds in. Its almost identical to that Froome 2013, 1 acceleration and goodbye everyone.

Or here is Contador on Arcalis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r45l4ndMZ_o
Again, 1 attack. None of that 50 attacks bull****, brailsford and trolls claim.

Actually Froome attacked, 3 or 4 times on Ventoux, though 2 were small accelerations not full out ones. Twice against Contador including the all time most ridiculous one, and then twice against Quintana. Sort of like Armstrong on Sestrieres actually. But hey, Froome is clean cos he only ever attacks once but everyone else is doping.

This bull**** argument belongs in Braisfraud's tabloids aimed at white van drivers, not in an educated cycling forum.

So I am an uneducated white van driving troll ? Come on then, what qualifications have you got then, big man ?

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Finally someone talking sense. What gets me about Froome's transformation, appart from it being alien and thus not credible, is that it was accompanied by the Sky juggernaut and all the propaganda the media outlet had at its disposal. And I don’t trust Brailsford any more than I can throw him. However in taking access to a myth of Anglo-wholesomeness as counterweight and counterculture to Mediterranean omertà, which is laden with a passive racism, it has been sold as the “New Cycling" and as "clean" cycling.

Nothing against the British, mind you, but I find such falsehood appalling.

That's jolly nice of you. Just wondering how you can say suggest all of that and keep a straight face. The tiresome 'Brits don't dope' ironic mantra of many participants of this forum is laden with passive racism.

I honestly think this 'counterweight to Mediterranean omertà' is all in your head. Ask most Brits which nationality of cyclist is most likely to dope and you'll be told American.

By pointing out prejudice often your own is revealed.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
EDIT: crossposted with Jimmyfinger

I wouldn't assume that it is a 'New British Clean Way.

I think its incidental that its British. I think its more to do with Sky the Sponsor not wanting to have the filthy history of cycling on its back and being associated with its business. If that's the case then they have to distance themselves from it at least in the minds of the punters.

If you take Brailsford's exact words about core aim of TeamSky it was to get a "clean British winner". Not a "British clean winner". Nor just a "clean winner" wirh the assumption that if they are British they must be clean. I think the word order of each of those sentences changes the emphasis and meaning.

To me, as a British person, I don't recognise the superioty complex that some of you guys think we have. Maybe you think Downtown Abbey is a documentary ;)

bigcog said:
So I am an uneducated white van driving troll ? Come on then.

I never said you were. I said that is the type of demographic Brailsford aimed his bull**** comments about attacking at.

It doesn't matter about qualifications, but about arguments. You said Contador attacked many times whereas froome doesn't, and suggested that might have something to do with doping. That is imo stupid and easily disproved.

I showed you clips of Contador attacking once and destroying everyone. Just like Froome. Which dismisses the argument already.

Dopers like Vinokourov attacked multiple times on stages. Dopers like Levi were carbon copies of Wiggins, following wheels. Kimmage thought Kohl was clean because he "looked tired". There has never been any correlation between riding style and doping, and those who try to force it as an argument for a rider (99% od the time their favourite ones) are imo exhibiting stupidity, since its an indefensible proposition that they can't for a second back up.

And when Brailsford says it he is lying, and unfairly casting doubt on others which is supposedly what he doesn't want happening.

Rollthedice said:
Well, he's not there yet. Only one second over Martin and with a hill in the middle of the TT.

Tony made a mistake that cost him the stage win

http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.co...-romandie-itt-martin-uran-make-the-top-5/1722

“I did a mistake on the downhill in a right corner,” Martin said. “I had to unclip from my pedal to prevent a crash. At that point I really lost a few seconds, and in a time trial with such great competition that can be the difference"

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
But there is a relationship between riding style and the strength and skills of one's opponents.

Repeated attacks happen because the previous ones have failed, which is what I think the Hitch was saying.

A successful attack is the one where the timing is right. A good rider can be dropped by an attack, not panic respond and blow up, but gently pace them self back. If they get it right and have a dose of luck they can arrive back at the attacker in a much better state than the attacker....and cruise past them.

Whether Froome is that skilled at pacing or if he's off his tits on drugs I don't know. But I do know that experience. Confidence and a cool head stand you in good stead.

JimmyFingers said:
That's jolly nice of you. Just wondering how you can say suggest all of that and keep a straight face. The tiresome 'Brits don't dope' ironic mantra of many participants of this forum is laden with passive racism.

I honestly think this 'counterweight to Mediterranean omertà' is all in your head. Ask most Brits which nationality of cyclist is most likely to dope and you'll be told American.

No it's been played up tirelessly, so simply acknowledging it isn't "passive racism," but critical analysis. ;)

The Hitch said:

Yup

The Hitch said:

And judging from Stage 3 of the TdR, the Froominator is going to be even more ridiculous this year. No where near his peak and still sick last Sunday yet still took an easy minute on anyone who matters in terms of GT performance.

JimmyFingers said:

Incorrect - there have been plenty of posts about Spanish or Italians being the 'worst' when it comes to doping, and it often sounds like stereotyping. Rhubroma is referring to posts in forums.

BTW - are you the spokesperson for most Brits?

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Ripper said:
Yup

And judging from Stage 3 of the TdR, the Froominator is going to be even more ridiculous this year. No where near his peak and still sick last Sunday yet still took an easy minute on anyone who matters in terms of GT performance.

All of the talk of Contador being competitive in July is rubbish. Froome will watch and match him in the mountains, and destroy him in the long TT. Of course, if this happens and you believe Contador is back to pre-ban levels of juice, we have the usual problem of logic when it comes to Froome...

stutue said:
Repeated attacks happen because the previous ones have failed, which is what I think the Hitch was saying.

Yes.

A successful attack is the one where the timing is right.

No. You may be missing (or intentionally obfuscating) the point.

A successful attack on a climb such as we're discussing is one where no one can match the attacker's acceleration. That can be timing, but those are generally nullified after a bit. Only the ones which are so powerful that they drop everyone succeed.

Dropping everyone then looking around, having a conversation on the radio, maybe having a beer and a sandwich or generally just having a laugh is evidence of the new cleans.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I hope Brailsford has had a word with Froome and reminded him how important it is to wash his hands. Would be a shame if Sky lost the Tour due to Froome forgetting to wash his hands.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
So apparently Froome has been coughing all week, guess the chest infection was true then.

Imagine what a healthy Froome will do, he'll smoke Tony, Cancellara (& Wiggo if he's riding) on the flat TT by a minute at the Tour :eek:

And he's been in the wind tunnel once :eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It will be a festival in July if Froome will be as good as last year. I hope all cynics and hypocrites are right. Can´t wait. Fingers crossed that Froome gets trou unscathed. You deserve a Froome win trou-and trou...

Personally I doubt, and think AC is better...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
So apparently Froome has been coughing all week, guess the chest infection was true then.

Imagine what a healthy Froome will do, he'll smoke Tony, Cancellara (& Wiggo if he's riding) on the flat TT by a minute at the Tour :eek:

And he's been in the wind tunnel once :eek:

Image if he smokes Cancellara by a minute in the stage 20 TT......and then Cancellara goes on to set the hour record a couple weeks after the Tour. :eek:

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ripper said:
Incorrect - there have been plenty of posts about Spanish or Italians being the 'worst' when it comes to doping, and it often sounds like stereotyping. Rhubroma is referring to posts in forums.

BTW - are you the spokesperson for most Brits?

From whom exactly? Have you examples of British posters saying that? have I ever said that for example?

There's this weird Anglo vs Southern Europe mentality from certain posters, I honestly think this is a construct, because from where I'm sitting it doesn't exist. British xenophobia is fairly scatter-gun, and certainly not Southern-European directed. What I mean to say is we dislike the Northern Europeans as much if not more. I would say the two European nations we are most suspicious of, and resentful of, would be Germany or France. And after that Eastern Europeans (in general). We might consider the South a bit feckless, but we don't reserve a special prejudice against the Italians or Spanish.

So I dislike hearing about this Anglo against Southern Europe. I think the illusion was shattered when posters here, Hitch included, called Kittel an Anglo when he called out Sayer, part of some imaginary Anglo-Alliance against the nations of the Med. It was bizarre, a German calling out Sayer and not Froome of Wiggins and considered an Anglo because of it, and even called racist. Go read the thread, it's an eye opener.

The British are as prejudice as the next country you care to name, but there's not some overwhelming prejudice towards the Southern Europeans, else we wouldn't be riding around on Italian bikes.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
I hope Brailsford has had a word with Froome and reminded him how important it is to wash his hands. Would be a shame if Sky lost the Tour due to Froome forgetting to wash his hands.

Seriously you need to go on stage. This level of comedy needs to be shared with the world.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Image if he smokes Cancellara by a minute in the stage 20 TT......and then Cancellara goes on to set the hour record a couple weeks after the Tour. :eek:

That would be funny, and in the mix of being Horneresque... ah no, Froome is too young. :D

TRENDING THREADS