• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 437 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the sceptic said:
Its funny to google search the dawg up until the 2011 vuelta. You can find gold like this:

this one is funny too

Dawg seems to be a slow learner.

And of course, his most famous moment:

A champion from the get go. It's like he and his team just knew of his impending greatness. Clearly an inevitable, inexorable march to the top of the sport.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
And he couldn't even manage that.

But as froome says, if you want something badly enough, you'll find a way.

Froome found a way. He didn't just finish the next gt. He found himself on the podium, a team tactical mistake away from winning.

four GTs went by between Giro 2010 and Vuelta 2011 and he did not get selected for one of them.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I actually think Vuelta 2011 was his most ridiculous performance of all. Beat Wiggins in the time trial, then that sprint up Pena Cabarga- to my mind more astonishing than anything he's done since.

Nathan12 said:
I actually think Vuelta 2011 was his most ridiculous performance of all. Beat Wiggins in the time trial, then that sprint up Pena Cabarga- to my mind more astonishing than anything he's done since.

It's was funny reading the threads at the time in 2011. Even the bots were saying Froome would drop away in the second half of the Vuelta. They thought he wouldn't even figure in the ITT.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
ciranda said:
Rasmussen did not have a *transformation*. He was with the best in the mountains from 2002 when he won at Lagunas Negra de Neila in Vuelta a Burgos.

This. MR was always a great climber. It was when his TTs started to go stratospheric in addition that people got really suspicious. That and the whereabouts. But the guy definitely didn't come from nowhere.

Nathan12 said:
It was when his TTs started to go stratospheric in addition that people got really suspicious

According to his book, it took years to perfect the doping cocktail

Now think of all the guys who were good but not great, perfected the cocktail that suited their own body and dominated, then compare the guys who might've been brilliant but never perfected it and didn't have the results their talent deserved

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
GuyIncognito said:
According to his book, it took years to perfect the doping cocktail

Now think of all the guys who were good but not great, perfected the cocktail that suited their own body and dominated, then compare the guys who might've been brilliant but never perfected it and didn't have the results their talent deserved

I'd rather think of all the talented guys who choose not to dope at all, to be honest.

thehog said:
Xsmall-Red-zigzag.jpg
The brand new Rapha Team SKY Mount Diablo T-Shirt is
somewhat evocative of your lovely artwork, my friend.
http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/new-arrivals/category/new-arrivals

thehog said:
That is awesome. Rapha have tracked the Dawg. Can they get the silhouette or stencil of the Dawg falling off his TT bike?

The thing is that they say improved bike handling and tactics are the reasons....his style is still awful. His tactics are actually brainless. The only reason he gets away with it is that he's so much stronger than everyone else.

I mean if this is an improvement, the guy must have been pushing other riders instead of cycling...oh wait :rolleyes:

And this improvement all came about in 4 weeks. From Poland to the Vuelta...sky fans are a joke.

If Froome was American, had the exact same career trajectory, and rode for BMC, what would they say...

Digger said:
The thing is that they say improved bike handling and tactics are the reasons....his style is still awful. His tactics are actually brainless. The only reason he gets away with it is that he's so much stronger than everyone else.

I mean if this is an improvement, the guy must have been pushing other riders instead of cycling...oh wait :rolleyes:

And this improvement all came about in 4 weeks. From Poland to the Vuelta...sky fans are a joke.

If Froome was American, had the exact same career trajectory, and rode for BMC, what would they say...

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Not according to the Gospel of Saint David, didnt you get the memo the Ventoux stage was a tactical masterclass by the new cycling God?
Then one day, the genius tactics just stopped working.:eek:

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2014...ront-doesnt-lead-to-win-at-tirenno-adriatico/

Richie Porte, the leader for Team Sky at Tirenno-Adriatico, expressed surprise today that his race tactics did not result in a stage win atop the climb to Selvarotonda. “I was on the front for most of the climb,” said Porte, in disbelief. “I was killing those guys.”

Alberto Contador, winner of the day’s stage, couldn’t explain the result either. “You know, Richie was up there on the front of the group, just drilling it really hard into a huge headwind up a very long and challenging climb. It’s hard to understand how he didn’t win.”...

Arnout said:
Help me again, with less kg there you'll need to develop less watts right? Making the performance more believable?

I always have a lot of trouble processing this sort of abstract information :eek:

Tip it on its head. Other way around. Less believable. Even .5kg makes a difference.

Chris Hoy can pump out 1000w for a short period and probably weights almost twice as much as Froome. Less weight means you have to get the power from somewhere.

That's why Wiggins & Dawg who climb like they do carrying circa 65kgs but then ITT like Tony Martin with so little weight. Meaning higher watts p/kg.

So, yes, lower weight means more ***.

TRENDING THREADS