• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 444 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Just as a quick follow-up. The notion that 26 was your "best before" date was because:

- You only have four years left before you decline anyways. Half-way between 22 year-old neo-pro and elderly statesman.
- Given all the advantages of the system, you still hadn't become a winner. That's not going to 'magically' change.
- There's a near endless supply of talented 22 year-olds that have proven themselves to handle the workload.
- The world only needs so many domestiques.

John Swanson

ciranda said:
I mean, it's super offensive to Sørensen and Martinez, two high quality cyclists. If Froome had continued along the line of his most *promising* results he could maybe have got to be like Sutherland and get top 15 in the Tour of Colorado or something. Or if he could not he could be around someone like Tanner who's sort of just present at races. I picked these names randomly, no offense intended. I don't know anything about Craven except that he has a beard.

What part of "I thought that if things went well" don't you get?

I'm talking what I thought was a best-case scenario for him based on the results he got when he was a 22-year-old. I'm happy to nit-pick on his early results when people start saying that they justified his transformation, but to say he showed no promise whatsoever is patently false too. He showed a handful of reasonable climbing performances that made me think that if he developed well, he could be a pretty useful climbing domestique and occasional stagehunter.

You know, the kind of riders guys like Sørensen and Martínez are. Chris Anker Sørensen is a good climber, but he's not going to be the last guy in the mountain train, and when he wins it's typically either from the break or because he's not marked too tightly; he's good enough to make those moves stick but not good enough to be a major threat to the GC in the biggest races. Egoi Martínez once made the top 10 of the Vuelta, but that was because he got a 10 minute gift from a breakaway because Astana didn't want to defend the jersey for two weeks, and because Igor Antón, the man he was set to be the main domestique for, crashed out on the descent of Cordal while placed near the top of the GC. Froome had a 3rd on Mont Faron in early 2009 just behind two very good climbers in Moncoutié and Soler, and his 2009 Giro, while unspectacular, showed he could be close enough pacing wise to be a decent domestique in the mountains for the right team.

Of course, from then, he then commenced to sucking out loud and the idea of him ever being a rider that could put together results like Chris Anker's went out the window until he suddenly became what he is now.

Libertine Seguros said:
What part of "I thought that if things went well" don't you get?

I'm talking what I thought was a best-case scenario for him based on the results he got when he was a 22-year-old. I'm happy to nit-pick on his early results when people start saying that they justified his transformation, but to say he showed no promise whatsoever is patently false too. He showed a handful of reasonable climbing performances that made me think that if he developed well, he could be a pretty useful climbing domestique and occasional stagehunter.

You know, the kind of riders guys like Sørensen and Martínez are. Chris Anker Sørensen is a good climber, but he's not going to be the last guy in the mountain train, and when he wins it's typically either from the break or because he's not marked too tightly; he's good enough to make those moves stick but not good enough to be a major threat to the GC in the biggest races. Egoi Martínez once made the top 10 of the Vuelta, but that was because he got a 10 minute gift from a breakaway because Astana didn't want to defend the jersey for two weeks, and because Igor Antón, the man he was set to be the main domestique for, crashed out on the descent of Cordal while placed near the top of the GC. Froome had a 3rd on Mont Faron in early 2009 just behind two very good climbers in Moncoutié and Soler, and his 2009 Giro, while unspectacular, showed he could be close enough pacing wise to be a decent domestique in the mountains for the right team.

Of course, from then, he then commenced to sucking out loud and the idea of him ever being a rider that could put together results like Chris Anker's went out the window until he suddenly became what he is now.

I understood your point, just don't agree and so I stated what level of riders I thought Froome would compare to. Shrug, etc. Mont Faron is a fifteen minute climb in february. Stefan Denifl, Francesco Reda, Francesco Masciarelli, Jussi Veikkanen and Eduardo Gonzalo have done as well or better than Froome since. I looked at Froome's results from the 2009 Giro and here I don't see what you mean by promising. His best day in the mountains was 24th, stage 16 to Monte Petrano, where he finished with Lars Bak at 7.05 after Carlos Sastre. Bak was at that time going for overall in GT's (he finished 19th in that Giro and got top twenty in a Vuelta) as a way to get selected for CSC's TDF team.

So. I don't see promise and results that would make it reasonable to think that Froome could, from that point in time, have evolved into a rider on the level of Sørensen and Martinez.

I think the story goes here :)

So it turns out, all us cynics were wrong; it wasn't Sky were going to drop Froooooome cause he was ***; it was Froooome's ESP told him he was going to podium in the TdF & then win it, & knew that he deserved a better contract !

But Froome, 29, claims the proposed deal failed to recognise his potential as a future winner of the Tour.

"I wanted a contract that reflected being a leader, rather than a domestique," said the Kenyan-born Brit.

"It was getting stressful and I sent Dave a long and quite strong message saying there would be no more going back and forth. I also said that that was the final offer, I was going elsewhere."

Will Carter said:
Whats worth more there - the car or all the bikes?

I some time have to walk between offices in my work in Edniburgh and there is a bike shop with a 4K plus bike in its window, I always stop and dream on (I even took a picture:eek:). And that is with Ultegra with its spec. Soooo 9 bikes worth, with Dura Ace (assuming Shimano here folks) say 5K each on top spec, the bikes have it:)

veganrob said:
Interesting. So why do you think the Dawg coughs so much in post race interviews?
There have been numerous studies, my learned friend,
researching the relationship between high intensity
exercise and the temporary or chronic suppression
of immune function as well as studies investigating
the susceptibility of elite athletes to upper respiratory
tract infections. Of course, various conclusions have
been reached. On a personal note, have you ever
ridden a pursuit?:)

Will Carter

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
oldcrank said:
There have been numerous studies, my learned friend,
researching the relationship between high intensity
exercise and the temporary or chronic suppression
of immune function as well as studies investigating
the susceptibility of elite athletes to upper respiratory
tract infections. Of course, various conclusions have
been reached. On a personal note, have you ever
ridden a pursuit?:)

I'm often coughing and spluttering when I get off my bike, although that probably has more to do with my level of fitness ... :rolleyes:

May 16, 2012
Visit site
keeponrollin said:
I think the story goes here :)

So it turns out, all us cynics were wrong; it wasn't Sky were going to drop Froooooome cause he was ***; it was Froooome's ESP told him he was going to podium in the TdF & then win it, & knew that he deserved a better contract !
He sounds more and more like someone that likes to have control over his own destiny. There is always an arrogance lying beneath everything that comes out when he opens his mouth and talk.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
In the light of this new book quotes (and not only) allow me to have my questions.
1. Froome said he considered leaving Sky. This board is full of "Sky is on something new" thing since 2011. Was he that stupid? Or he already got his own connections and deals? Don't tell me the book it's just a piece in this perfect crime puzzle.
2. He is attacking Wiggins again. We all know Wiggins is a bit unstable (the future Sir and Yellow Jersey wearer called some people w*****s live on television). Isn't he afraid that Sir would say "F*** it, it's not worth it. I am a doper but this guy is the father of all dopers"? Armstrong was the best friend of Hamilton and Landis until they said stuff.
3. Same with Dave. se no. 1 and 2.
4. It's been three years. Al the others team are stupid or something? I don't think Sky made this drug in their own headquarters in a room full of frames and wheels.

Let me add that I'm not a Sky fanboy. Just honest questions.

Dumb questions that rely heavily on assumptions and require no answers.

Number 2 especially.

Yes Wiggins is going to give up all the millions he's earning from TDF and olympic wins, the knighthood the big house, the good school for his children, because Froome attacked him.

You really thought that one through didn't you:rolleyes:

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
McLovin said:
4. It's been three years. Al the others team are stupid or something? I don't think Sky made this drug in their own headquarters in a room full of frames and wheels.

:confused:

Three years?

Ever heard of Lance Armstrong?

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
wtf? Vroomie's Mein Kampf or memoires? Too late for the former, too early for the latter... unless he knows Sky's prepaid "freerunning" years are over and now it's Oleg who paid UCI mafia more so that Albuterol can win.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Dumb questions that rely heavily on assumptions and require no answers.

Number 2 especially.

Yes Wiggins is going to give up all the millions he's earning from TDF and olympic wins, the knighthood the big house, the good school for his children, because Froome attacked him.

You really thought that one through didn't you:rolleyes:
Hitch, you should study the human brain and reactions. As far as I see from your expectations your mind will be blown.
Dear Wiggo said:
:confused:

Three years?

Ever heard of Lance Armstrong?

By 2002 we already had a (public) missed test and a masseuse IIRC. Nothing on Froome yet.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
McLovin said:
By 2002 we already had a (public) missed test and a masseuse IIRC. Nothing on Froome yet.

Wow. You don't even read your own posts? :confused:

Here. Let me help you:

McLovin said:

Now tell me. What on earth does a missed test and a masseuse have to do with other teams being stupid or something.

Seriously.

Your agenda just got spewed all over the thread.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
McLovin said:
In the light of this new book quotes (and not only) allow me to have my questions.
1. Froome said he considered leaving Sky. This board is full of "Sky is on something new" thing since 2011. Was he that stupid? Or he already got his own connections and deals? Don't tell me the book it's just a piece in this perfect crime puzzle.
2. He is attacking Wiggins again. We all know Wiggins is a bit unstable (the future Sir and Yellow Jersey wearer called some people w*****s live on television). Isn't he afraid that Sir would say "F*** it, it's not worth it. I am a doper but this guy is the father of all dopers"? Armstrong was the best friend of Hamilton and Landis until they said stuff.
3. Same with Dave. se no. 1 and 2.

one. you assume the book is truth. this is the incorrect premise, the book/biography/autobiography will be a myth making exercise.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
one. you assume the book is truth. this is the incorrect premise, the book/biography/autobiography will be a myth making exercise.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/road-biking/Tour-de-Revenge.html
Bill Stapleton on Armstrong in 1998. Remember, it became "Its Not About The Bike"
Sydney could serve as the stage for his apotheosis, perhaps with a book

if they lie to the public about doping, does one axiomativally think the book is gonna be the fricken truth? major lols

TRENDING THREADS