• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 445 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
fowlyetti said:
@chrisfroome 21m
Three major TDF contenders staying on Mt Teide and no out of competition tests for the past 2 weeks. Very disappointing.

Froome is hillarious. Whats next? Worrying about Contador climbing faster than dopers?

I think WADA should just open a lab on Tenerife. Would save everyone a lot of trouble.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Welcome back, Dave.;)

Chris Froome @chrisfroome · 18m
To clarify I am one of those 3 and I think it's in all our best interests to be able to prove we are clean no matter where we train.

Thanks, I had a nice vacation.

As to Froome, maybe someone should tell him there are better ways to prove you are clean than passing the tests?

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Chris Froome @chrisfroome · 18m
To clarify I am one of those 3 and I think it's in all our best interests to be able to prove we are clean no matter where we train.

Anti-doping isn't meant to prove anyone is clean. The sole purpose of anti-doping is to catch cheats and make it difficult to dope. This idiotic idea that anti-doping is there to prove athletes are clean must be wiped out.

If Froome wants to be tested more he can go train somewhere else than an remote island, or he can campaign for better funding for anti-doping. Sky and Froome have never prior to this winter been the least worried about training for months in remote places (Colombia, Teide) where they know from experience there is very little chance of being tested.

fowlyetti said:
@chrisfroome 21m
Three major TDF contenders staying on Mt Teide and no out of competition tests for the past 2 weeks. Very disappointing.

Proof he is clean. 100% unchallengeable now. At least that's how Walsh and the British media will read it.

Funny thing is this will probably get more attention in the British Press than yesterdays Giro stage did.

I went through 3 newspaper sports sections today, and in not one was there a mention of yesterday's Giro stage. The most controversial on field event in the sport, perhaps in over a decade. And not a peep.

But apparently the sport is growing so so much here. 1000 x bigger than it was just 2 years ago. The entire country gripped in cycling fever.

Yeah, I see it:cool:

neineinei said:
If Froome wants to be tested more he can go train somewhere else than an remote island, or he can campaign for better funding for anti-doping. Sky and Froome have never prior to this winter been the least worried about training for months in remote places (Colombia, Teide) where they know from experience there is very little chance of being tested.

He could even organize an independant tester to take samples from him & get them tested, & then publish the results. Or he could just insist that all his data, blood tests et al is published.

I won't hold my breath...:rolleyes:

neineinei said:
Anti-doping isn't meant to prove anyone is clean. The sole purpose of anti-doping is to catch cheats and make it difficult to dope. This idiotic idea that anti-doping is there to prove athletes are clean must be wiped out.

Brilliantly put.

Just goes to show the massive gap between someone who legitimately cares about anti doping and wants to do something about it, would say, and a PR department who's interest is convincing less clued in people with lies (allegedly in the name of the truth though) that they are clean.

I'll tweet that message - "anti doping isn't there to prove riders are clean" in the response thing (yes I know he won't take notice).

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
neineinei said:

I approve this post.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
neineinei said:

Chapeau.

Nail on head.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Proof he is clean. 100% unchallengeable now. At least that's how Walsh and the British media will read it.

Funny thing is this will probably get more attention in the British Press than yesterdays Giro stage did.

I went through 3 newspaper sports sections today, and in not one was there a mention of yesterday's Giro stage. The most controversial on field event in the sport, perhaps in over a decade. And not a peep.

But apparently the sport is growing so so much here. 1000 x bigger than it was just 2 years ago. The entire country gripped in cycling fever.

Yeah, I see it:cool:

What on earth has this got to do with anything at all apart from your personal agenda? Zero, in relations to this thread. Nothing at all.

And while (and this is to the general tone of the response to him) it could well be PR, but isn't this exactly the sort of thing you guys are saying here? And he is publicising that? Surely this is a good thing riders are saying things like this, like the Kittel tweet.

Depends on your level of cynicism, but at least we know.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
What on earth has this got to do with anything at all apart from your personal agenda? Zero, in relations to this thread. Nothing at all.

And while (and this is to the general tone of the response to him) it could well be PR, but isn't this exactly the sort of thing you guys are saying here? And he is publicising that? Surely this is a good thing riders are saying things like this, like the Kittel tweet.

Could be that Froome is butthurt that Contador and Nibali have uncovered the secret to becoming mutants.

But most likely this is just a reminder to all the brits that will tune in to watch the tour that Froome is still cleans, just in case there were some doubts out there.

fowlyetti said:
@chrisfroome 21m

As confirmed in Cameron Wurf's blog.

As usual I am not the only cyclist here as Chris Froome, Ritchie Porte, Vincenzo Nibali and Alberto Contador are all currently roaming the halls of the hotel parador.

I'm just fascinated by his disappointment.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

If Froome was serious, he would release all his info, blood numbers, vo2 etc from Barloworld to 2013, but we know he isnt, because he wont.

Also what is the point in more tests for stuff they cant test for?

Remember that TdF winner guy who ran to UCI b****ing about other riders, Armstrong about Mayo, Hamilton, Heras.....

the sceptic said:
Could be that Froome is butthurt that Contador and Nibali have uncovered the secret to becoming mutants.

But most likely this is just a reminder to all the brits that will tune in to watch the tour that Froome is still cleans, just in case there were some doubts out there.

Both, and spot on. He's crying that the invaders have come to his refuge.

JimmyFingers said:

Because of all the - "but Sky have done so much for British cycling" arguments that so often come hand in hand with doping discussions, just as ironically, they always did with you know who (including from Wiggins when he him).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:

You realize of course that what you've constructed here is your typical straw-man argument. At no point did Froome say anti-doping would "prove anyone clean"--which is a ridiculously easy argument to refute (and to happily get all self-righteous about refuting). He said it's bad that no one was being tested at during such a significant pre-Tour training period, in a place where the major contenders are staying and so where it would be easy to test them. He never said the testing would prove anyone was clean, he's saying that the people in charge of insuring that the sport is clean are missing an important and obvious opportunity. While his motivations for making this statement may be suspect, I can't see how anyone can argue with the substance--the pre-Tour build up has always been an important part of the doping process. If they aren't being tested now (none of the contenders will be doing any serious doping during the Tour--you'd have to be ***, or Ricco--he said redundantly--to dope at the Tour) then they aren't really being tested at all.

TRENDING THREADS