• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 451 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the sceptic said:
Yes. He used to climb to check if his "preparation" was good enough to win the tour.

And you can bet that when Froome and Porte did it they wanted to see if they were in armstrong shape. It clearly matters to froome else he wouldnt bring it up as an example of why he's faster than Armstrong.

All I can hope for is that he falls in the first week of the TDF and has to go all out in the mountains.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
That doesn't necceserily mean he is going to be fully doped up for it though, you add on the best of the drugs for the race not the training test ride

How do you think LA was able to spin faster while seated on his training rides? :rolleyes:

peloton said:
How do you think LA was able to spin faster while seated on his training rides? :rolleyes:

His improvements where after 1995?

If so as he was on the Ferrari program in 1995, I don't see how this is neccesarily o2 vector drugs related, thats the thing about Armstrong, he was on the full program in 1995 yet still improved as a three week stage racer.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
His improvements where after 1995?

If so as he was on the Ferrari program in 1995, I don't see how this is neccesarily o2 vector drugs related, thats the thing about Armstrong, he was on the full program in 1995 yet still improved as a three week stage racer.

Hopeless...

Anyway, this is not the LA thread.
I expect Froome to break Riis' Hautacam record in July. :eek:

peloton said:
Hopeless...

Armstrong was a full on doper and as such a fraud, however that doesnt mean that all his improvements are down to dope (even a doper wants to be more efficient) especially as he was already working with Ferrari in 95. Anyway as you say it is not the Armstrong thread.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
That doesn't necceserily mean he is going to be fully doped up for it though, you add on the best of the drugs for the race not the training test ride

youre right, it was the cadence.

At the end of 1998, Lance had gotten fourth in the Vuelta and fourth in the World championships, which were encouraging results. The next winter, we refined this approach with a higher cadence for Lance. It worked so well that in the spring of 1999, [Armstrong] beat Rominger's record for the climb of the Col de la Madone in Menton [near Nice, France] that [Rominger] had set five years before. Lance beat the best time by 40 or 45 seconds and from that time on, we realized that Lance had made a 'salto di qualità' (jump of quality) in his cycling performance.

When I told Tony, who has a character similar to that of Lance that Armstrong had beaten his record on Col de la Madone, he was surprised and disappointed. Tony told me "Well, I never won the Tour, but I'm really sorry to lose this record!" As for the rest, there is all the success Lance has had in the Tour but this is recent history; I've invested a lot of time to work with Lance and his group; Chris Carmichael, Johan Bruyneel and others. I've expanded my collaboration with Lance and as of today, this is continuing.

Lance actually named the bike himself after the Col de la Madone in Menton, France, where Armstrong tested himself in training. "The Col de la Madone is a 12km climb that starts in the French village of Menton. It rises from close to sea level to 927 meters. Cyclists have long used it to test themselves. Having lived in Nice for four years, I rode it many times as well. The record of 31:30 stood for many years, until in 1999 when I broke it with a 30:47. For me, the Madone is the ultimate test. It always tells me if I'm ready - ready to ride fast and ultimately, win the Tour de France. It never fails."

peloton said:
Hopeless...

not with tourmalet on the route. in an itt or flat stage and desperate to take as much time as he can, he might do it though
anyway,froomey for me is the supreme troll with these stories lol.the espresso made him go faster than tony,danielson and lance:p i like his way of angering the crowd even more. can't wait for col du beal

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:

Not according to all the dopers who have confessed you dont

that Madone time - hes really rubbing our noses in it now

fortunately he will always look like a monkey climbing a drainpipe so we can laugh at his total absence of pedalling panache

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If I was Froome I wouldn't want Wiggins as a domestique. You would never know whether you could trust him and that he will put in 100% to do the work for you. The days are long gone where you have teams that have two genuine chances at the tour or two riders that think they are genuine chances (all things being equal and Wiggins was no. 1 without Froome in the team)

del1962 said:

Wow. After all your posts here, do you still not know how doping works?

Riders often doped over long periods of time to get a good peak.

Its done with training and a lot of other things. Its not some magic pill which someone takes after laying on their back all day and suddenly become very good the morning of the race:rolleyes:

So I don't know Tony Rominger's doping history, but looking at this list, Froome and Porte went faster than 3 confessed dopers:

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 28m
Col de la Madone

Chris Froome 30:09
Richie Porte 30:24
Tom Danielson 30:24
Lance Armstrong 30:45
Tony Rominger 31:30
Tyler Hamilton 32:32

Marginal gains and all that.

Gregga said:
I don't know if it's already been metionned somewhere : today "l'Equipe" reveals Froome broke Armstrong record on la Madone in june 2013 :

Froome 30:09
Porte 30:24
Armstrong 30:45

459w for 30 minutes, a good 6.75 W/kg

Very impressive. And Armstrong is the second best TdF climber of the EPO era (only behind Pantani). I don't know Froome's training methods but Porte has the same, which is scary. If Contador is back to his best we can again have epic duels from the 1800's VAM era.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Its done with training and a lot of other things. Its not some magic pill which someone takes after laying on their back all day and suddenly become very good the morning of the race:rolleyes:
vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily

Tyler Hamilton, Madone
30/03/2000 | 63.5 kg | 36:03 | Ht 43, Hb 14.1 | 5.84 W/kg
31/05/2000 | 60.8 kg | 32:32 | Ht 50, Hb 16.4 | 6.45 W/kg

Hamilton must have had a severe case of Badzilla.

The Hitch said:

So you are saying dopers don't tailor their doping to be at its most effective for their races?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
So you are saying dopers don't tailor their doping to be at its most effective for their races?

No they dope so their training is at its most effective at races, then dope a bit to maintain their form during races.

Its all explained very well in Tyler's book, if you haven't read it.

This is why hypothetically you might choose to spend Xmas at altitude in a country with a poor track record in OOC tests :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS