• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 560 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Whether Froome dopes or not, it sure is funny when it angers people like the above poster to such ridiculous levels that they start playing it off as if all of his fans are a nationalistic mob...

It's so hilariously idiotic. Not all Froome fans are British just like not all Contador fans are Spanish.

They both probably cheat. Neither is a hero. Don't get why there is such aggression between both sets of fans.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Hayabusa said:
Whether Froome dopes or not, it sure is funny when it angers people like the above poster to such ridiculous levels that they start playing it off as if all of his fans are a nationalistic mob...

It's so hilariously idiotic. Not all Froome fans are British just like not all Contador fans are Spanish.

They both probably cheat. Neither is a hero. Don't get why there is such aggression between both sets of fans.

Well on this forum I would say that almost all Froome believers are british.

So there has got to be some sort of nationalistic element going on.

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hayabusa said:

ikr, the sheer amount of hatred he gets makes it hard for me not to like him.

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Froome was sitting in 10th position just in front of Dan Martin roughly 5 seconds behind the Contador/Valverde group when Contador made his move...this can be seen on the Eurosport footages...then as soon as Contador is loosing the momentum a good minute later Froome is taking the lead...in other words Froome just kept his own pace catching a full attacking Contador being in the red zone....and then continued attacking himself....jesus

Froome is gonna win this one, being told not to go full alien mode !

Hayabusa said:

Good ain't it :)

go crazy said:
This is one day where Froome actually out-tacticalled (made up word, I know) the other riders. On grades this steep, where no one apparently had pre-ridden it, the smartest way to ride it is to ride it like a TT, setting an even tempo and ramping it up slowly as you get closer to the end.

And you know Froome did this how? Given his history of cracking and then finding 10 000 watts out of nowhere just as he is about to get dropped, its more likely that Froome did the opposite of ride like a time trial, and massively increased his power towards the end.

Look at Froome peddaling squares here 22 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJRZeyCg2o

He tries to follow Contador, loses wheels, starts to weave over the road, and then 20 seconds later increases his pace by a factor of about 10.

You going to tell me he was riding that hill like a time trial?

And its not the only example of Froome riding like that, going from 2km/ h to cav sprint speed, suddenly finding power from nowhere after being dropped.

the sceptic said:

Potentially yes, but the key being not all. It's fair to say that a number will no doubt be influenced by the fact that Froome is British and thus believe he is clean.

Equally there will be a number of British members who think Froome is a cheat. The same pattern will be there for Contador, Nibali and the other big names. It just appears more prevalent for Froome cause he is the one with the active thread.

the sceptic said:

Doubtful. A fair percentage of Brits don't consider him british and there is also the Wiggins spat which has made him less popular than otherwise would be the case.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
naviman said:
ikr, the sheer amount of hatred he gets makes it hard for me not to like him.

Same here... and I always read of the allegedly (thus mystic) british Froome fans. Who are they? All I hear is hate, no matter if clinic or RR thread...

bigcog said:
Doubtful. A fair percentage of Brits don't consider him british and there is also the Wiggins spat which has made him less popular than otherwise would be the case.

the fact that less British people like Froome does not mean that more non British people like him. The fact that everyone outside the British isles considers him to be nothing less than a dangerous medical experiment means he has pretty much no fans who aren't British.

Even the few fans he has on here from foreign countries are all convinced he dopes and support him for the humour.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Same here... and I always read of the allegedly (thus mystic) british Froome fans. Who are they? All I hear is hate, no matter if clinic or RR thread...

I forgot to add you but I thought you were just faking your Froome love ;)

Look at all the major Froome/sky defenders over the years. All british.

The Hitch said:
the fact that less British people like Froome does not mean that more non British people like him. The fact that everyone outside the British isles considers him to be nothing less than a dangerous medical experiment means he has pretty much no fans who aren't British.

Even the few fans he has on here from foreign countries are all convinced he dopes and support him for the humour.

I can tell that in Portugal he has almost as many fans as Contador. Most don't see him as doper.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I forgot to add you but I thought you were just faking your Froome love ;)

Look at all the major Froome/sky defenders over the years. All british.

Good point. OTOH, I don´t love him, so... :p

Still, who are they? There is no polish-like guy around. I don´t hear/see any. So it can´t be only his doping. I think someone started to hate him, and then people jumped the bandwagon...

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Thanks

The bolded is exactly what I'd been wondering about. Makes a bit more sense now.

He was definitely at the back
Was he suffering? Well they all were, hard to tell when someone looks so bad on a bike...
I'd suggest that the rest is CN guess work.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

This is a good point.

Libertine Seguros said:
Why is there so often an assumption that all people who don't want to see Froome win are Contador fans?

That does happen a lot, but the sword cuts both ways on that one. If a poster posts something negative about Contador, they are often accused of being a 'skybot' or a Froome supporter.

PS, I am not British.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Final kms : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7WPlTHnDM

If you pause at precisely 10:52 you can just see Froome at the end of the picture. You also see him again at 11:10. He was never that far behind in terms of distance but he certainly had to overtake a lot of people.

It's just that his normal riding style looks like another cyclist riding in the "red zone", he always looks cooked. It's hard to get used to even if you've seen him come back 20 times before.

The Hitch said:
And you know Froome did this how? Given his history of cracking and then finding 10 000 watts out of nowhere just as he is about to get dropped, its more likely that Froome did the opposite of ride like a time trial, and massively increased his power towards the end.

Look at Froome peddaling squares here 22 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecJRZeyCg2o

He tries to follow Contador, loses wheels, starts to weave over the road, and then 20 seconds later increases his pace by a factor of about 10.

You going to tell me he was riding that hill like a time trial?

And its not the only example of Froome riding like that, going from 2km/ h to cav sprint speed, suddenly finding power from nowhere after being dropped.

The Hitch said:

The Hitch said:
A country where your own rider winning the world championships was considered a lesser story than the world number 2500 in tennis winning a challenger event no one had ever heard of.

You're on a roll! Keep it up :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
djpbaltimore said:
That does happen a lot, but the sword cuts both ways on that one. If a poster posts something negative about Contador, they are often accused of being a 'skybot' or a Froome supporter.

Pretty much sums up the applied double standards in the clinic...
I said it before: The clinic is not anti-doping. It is "your doper is worse than mine" * or the extreme posters "everybody dopes, everybody is corrupt, everybody is to blame".

* BTW, I belong to the first group. :D Since nobody hates the über doper Horner, I take the major part on this. For some kind of clinic balance.

However I don´t post much anymore, because the personal attacks you get. Thus the Horner thread is buried in silence. :eek:

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Well, i wouldn't bet on the second part:he's an aggressive rider after all,good climber,TT-er. What is different in supporting him versus other riders?Why is worse then others,given that those,are also"dangerous medical experiments"?

TRENDING THREADS