• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 837 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
If Sky only had a steak story, fine, but they dont. They rope a doped Walsh to spin out all this marginal gains BS, washing hands, warming up warming down, own pillows, pinapple juice in bidons, no sunbathing on rest days, no nutella, etc etc. And every year it continues. Sky started it with their Tome of ZTP. If Sky came along like another cycling team, it would be less of an issue. But nope they knew Kimmage would be watching closely and writing about them so they thought to pre-empt it with spin. it has worked for the new fans, but become a joke for cycling fans.

Even the Froome stories are pure comedy, sand shoes to lost the inner fat. FFS. Monty pythonesque.

Where did Froome keep his inner fat in a box?

its every cyclists right to have inner fat.......

Damn have I missed them using that :sad: :sad: I hope I haven't and they use that during this Tour.

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

bikinggirl said:
[quote="
It is not what I said. Of course there will be other countries but these countries will dominate I hope. But you cant probably remember that and you cant read either!! I only hope that the Americans and the British teams will go away because they have ruined this sport completely but you wouldn`t know the difference.

I've been following pro-cycling for 30 years, so the "probably can't remember" statement is completely invalid.
I personally think that having large teams of well drilled riders was the way the sport was going, regardless of whether the Brits and Americans got involved. Look at Merckx's Molteni team as one example, and the Mapei classics team as another (who also coincided with the EPO era). It takes a lot of money to pull off, as you have to buy riders who could be leaders on other teams. Sky do this, as did US Postal, but so do some of the other non-Brit, non-US teams such as Astana and Movistar.

So, your arguments are completely non-valid and it comes down to small minded bigotry.

gazr99 said:
bikinggirl said:
Few years ago we had the "American Wave of riders" and we all know the result of that. There are only very few American riders left and that is probably the spillover from a very bad ten years of world cycling. Now we have the "British Wave of riders" whom conduct them self as the Americans and there is no different from the them. There are all doped and we all know it!! Also the arrogance and behavior is the same. Eventually, they will all be court sooner than later and we will the see the same circus all over again. I predict that the next Wave of riders will be the " Australian Wave of riders" and the story will just repeat itself. I don't know what year that will be but after that we will all go back to the very good old days when the French, Italiens, Dutch, Spanish, German, Belgiums riders will dominate cycling again and we will all be happy again.
I have followed bikecycling since 1953 and I believe that there have always been some bad apples in the peloton but never like this. It is wrong it is shameful and Mr. Frome shame on you but you will be court, believe me!! Until then enjoy you self!!

So any country who from outside continental Europe dominate they must be doping, whilst the continent are mainly clean? I agree there has always been dopers in the sport but I do not think the whole peleton are now doping. I would say doping has increased decade after decade reached its peak point 90's to mid/late 00's and is on a massive decline now.
Who said that? Stop clutching at straws.

Read the post you replied to again. They're saying that the US, as a less traditional cycling nation, has reduced participation at pro level once the reality of the sport and particularly that of top American competitors were exposed (Hamilton, Landis, Armstrong, CVV, Hincapie etc.)

We're now seeing a reduction in top level riders from the US - Talansky, Dombrowski, Craddock and?

They are also tipping the same thing to happen in the UK once the cat is out of the bag there.

I'm not sure if the same will happen in Aus, unless there's a genuine Australian superstar of the sport in the near future. Evans came close, Matthews, Gerrans and possibly Porte aren't too far from it as well I guess, but none have the status to bring down the sport here if they were caught.

BYOP88 said:
Benotti69 said:
If Sky only had a steak story, fine, but they dont. They rope a doped Walsh to spin out all this marginal gains BS, washing hands, warming up warming down, own pillows, pinapple juice in bidons, no sunbathing on rest days, no nutella, etc etc. And every year it continues. Sky started it with their Tome of ZTP. If Sky came along like another cycling team, it would be less of an issue. But nope they knew Kimmage would be watching closely and writing about them so they thought to pre-empt it with spin. it has worked for the new fans, but become a joke for cycling fans.

Even the Froome stories are pure comedy, sand shoes to lost the inner fat. FFS. Monty pythonesque.

Damn have I missed them using that :sad: :sad: I hope I haven't and they use that during this Tour.
Wasn't that in 2011 after Voeckler was photographed on the second rest day relaxing in the sun reading the newspaper while in yellow?

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
There have been doping scandals involving riders from most key nations (and I'd include Australia as a key nation in spite of only having a small population from which to draw top riders).

It would be interesting to compare the reactions from different nations to see if there has been a difference. Off the top of my head I can't think of any particularly strong reaction from Spain or Italy, but I can from Germany and France.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

42x16ss said:
BYOP88 said:
Benotti69 said:

Wasn't that in 2011 after Voeckler was photographed on the second rest day relaxing in the sun reading the newspaper while in yellow?

I think David Millar trolled Sky by posting a photo of himself by the pool sunbathing with a beer on the rest day.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:
bikinggirl said:
Few years ago we had the "American Wave of riders" and we all know the result of that. There are only very few American riders left and that is probably the spillover from a very bad ten years of world cycling. Now we have the "British Wave of riders" whom conduct them self as the Americans and there is no different from the them. There are all doped and we all know it!! Also the arrogance and behavior is the same. Eventually, they will all be court sooner than later and we will the see the same circus all over again. I predict that the next Wave of riders will be the " Australian Wave of riders" and the story will just repeat itself. I don't know what year that will be but after that we will all go back to the very good old days when the French, Italiens, Dutch, Spanish, German, Belgiums riders will dominate cycling again and we will all be happy again.
I have followed bikecycling since 1953 and I believe that there have always been some bad apples in the peloton but never like this. It is wrong it is shameful and Mr. Frome shame on you but you will be court, believe me!! Until then enjoy you self!!

So any country who from outside continental Europe dominate they must be doping, whilst the continent are mainly clean? I agree there has always been dopers in the sport but I do not think the whole peleton are now doping. I would say doping has increased decade after decade reached its peak point 90's to mid/late 00's and is on a massive decline now.

Read the post you replied to again. They're saying that the US, as a less traditional cycling nation, has reduced participation at pro level once the reality of the sport and particularly that of top American competitors were exposed (Hamilton, Landis, Armstrong, CVV, Hincapie etc.)

We're now seeing a reduction in top level riders from the US - Talansky, Dombrowski, Craddock and?

They are also tipping the same thing to happen in the UK once the cat is out of the bag there.

I'm not sure if the same will happen in Aus, unless there's a genuine Australian superstar of the sport in the near future. Evans came close, Matthews, Gerrans and possibly Porte aren't too far from it as well I guess, but none have the status to bring down the sport here if they were caught.

The way he words it insinuates that the Americans and Brits dominate because of doping and wants the continental teams dominating again like when the sport was "cleaner"

May 26, 2010
Visit site

gazr99 said:
42x16ss said:
gazr99 said:
bikinggirl said:

The way he words it insinuates that the Americans and Brits dominate because of doping and wants the continental teams dominating again like when the sport was "cleaner"

There can only be clean or doping. I dont think there any clean riders in the peloton.

The reason for the dominance of non EU riders is the need for the UCI to grow the sport and milk areas that they could grow cycling in and personally profit from it. Cookson seems to be big into the African growth and maybe that is why see Dimension Data having a great Tour and that Kenyan chap winning. We got some idea of how the sport was run through the stories of Armstrong, getting the knowledge to beat tests, UCI president making other rivals test positive, blood testing machine bribes and on and on.....

Growth in the UK has been big since Sky/Wiggins.

I am surprised that China have not been more encouraged into the sport, but maybe that is the UCI's failing or lack of Chinese willing to play UCI's dirty little game.

Benotti69 said:
Cookson seems to be big into the African growth and maybe that is why see Dimension Data having a great Tour and that Kenyan chap winning.

Actually, "Africa" (it's a very big place) has been a long term project for the UCI dating to McQuaid at least.

Lots of new marks to hustle for millions in Africa.

Today was pretty amazing.. I'm disappointed my prediction did not come true. I didn't see Froome in the least little bit of trouble today, so there's going to be an awful day or three coming for every other team but Sky.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
Benotti69 said:
Cookson seems to be big into the African growth and maybe that is why see Dimension Data having a great Tour and that Kenyan chap winning.

Actually, "Africa" (it's a very big place) has been a long term project for the UCI dating to McQuaid at least.

Lots of new marks to hustle for millions in Africa.

Yes to use the term Africa is probably wrong , but i suppose they are taking a leaf out of IAAF, and targeting some countries in Africa. I am sure UCI would love nothing better than for some African Dictator to fall in love with the sport of cycling.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

[quote="Benotti69
There can only be clean or doping. I dont think there any clean riders in the peloton.

The reason for the dominance of non EU riders is the need for the UCI to grow the sport and milk areas that they could grow cycling in and personally profit from it. Cookson seems to be big into the African growth and maybe that is why see Dimension Data having a great Tour and that Kenyan chap winning. We got some idea of how the sport was run through the stories of Armstrong, getting the knowledge to beat tests, UCI president making other rivals test positive, blood testing machine bribes and on and on.....

Growth in the UK has been big since Sky/Wiggins.

I am surprised that China have not been more encouraged into the sport, but maybe that is the UCI's failing or lack of Chinese willing to play UCI's dirty little game.[/quote]

Disagree there will always be some that dope some that don't, the world is not black and white. I agree that the UCi wants to grow cycling outside of Europe, that started happening after Lemond, this is no different to any other sport

May 26, 2010
Visit site
There will always be some that dont want to dope but after a year it will be obvious to them that they cannot continue to race without it.

Team mates will not trust them. DS will not trust them. You either get doping or you get out. I dont think a team would risk hiring mavericks and i dont think guys who have buckets of talent would be happy competing against less talented but doped up riders leaving them for dead!

Not many riders can be clean for their career. Kimmage who is as pig headed as they come, doped twice and when an opportunity presented itself to get a job as a journalist he didn't have to think twice. I think it is even harder now to race clean than pre epo. The sport is not in a financially healthy place and teams cannot afford riders who dont get with the program. Why hire a rider who insists no dope when there are plenty who will dope and possibly win something? No brainer!

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I think there is probably a lot of truth in that (although we may never know), especially in that last paragraph.

My best guess would be that effective doping regimes are actually much harsher on the body now than in the good old days of taking as much epo as you could eat. It all seems to be about inhuman weight loss, and I can't help think of Wiggins who did what it took for one insane year and then thought sod it.

All this talk from Froome about trying to peak for the 3rd week makes me think that they are planning on refraining from going full gas until then. Kimmage has rubbished the notion of anyone training to specifically peak for the 3rd week of a grand tour this morning. I reckon they have something 'prepared' this year so that Froome doesn't weaken like he normally does at the end of a 3 week tour. Particularly so if he doesn't have the cushion of a large time gap over Quintana by then.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ontheroad said:
All this talk from Froome about trying to peak for the 3rd week makes me think that they are planning on refraining from going full gas until then. Kimmage has rubbished the notion of anyone training to specifically peak for the 3rd week of a grand tour this morning. I reckon they have something 'prepared' this year so that Froome doesn't weaken like he normally does at the end of a 3 week tour. Particularly so if he doesn't have the cushion of a large time gap over Quintana by then.

Or that the motorbike gets used in week 3?

Stage 10 last year when Froome left everyone for dead his bike was not tested.

With this sport anything is possible!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

kwikki said:
I think there is probably a lot of truth in that (although we may never know), especially in that last paragraph.

My best guess would be that effective doping regimes are actually much harsher on the body now than in the good old days of taking as much epo as you could eat. It all seems to be about inhuman weight loss, and I can't help think of Wiggins who did what it took for one insane year and then thought sod it.

With so many doctors in the sport now, i am not sure health is a risk. They race so little as well.

With modern weight loss peds eating is not a problem. The riders lose the weight for a GT with the peds then put it back on after when they go off the aicar, clen etc

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Froome hiding his arms with arm warmers on Sky's ride today in 30degrees. Only Sky rider wearing them!

Bit like the time Millar used to cover his arms with a white substance claiming he was sensitive to sun, yet at his last tour he was sunbathing.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Froome hiding his arms with arm warmers on Sky's ride today in 30degrees. Only Sky rider wearing them!

Bit like the time Millar used to cover his arms with a white substance claiming he was sensitive to sun, yet at his last tour he was sunbathing.

Well he has to stand out from the 8 minions on the ride with him. Imagine being mistaken for a lowly domestique, when you're the (self)appointed patron.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

30 deg in Andorra this morning? (1000 meters above sea) after yesterday evening big storm? mmmm

http://www.ilmeteo.it/meteo-europa/Andorra+la+Vella

they usually ride in the morning. I think it was around 20 degrees

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:

30 deg in Andorra this morning? (1000 meters above sea) after yesterday evening big storm? mmmm

Surely the other riders with him were subjected to the same weather??

May 26, 2010
Visit site

pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:

20 degrees, so still does not explain the need for arm warmers. Why only Froome wearing them and none of the others?

Benotti69 said:
pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:

20 degrees, so still does not explain the need for arm warmers. Why only Froome wearing them and none of the others?

sorry, I didnt remember you decide what gear every rider can wear.

Movistar. Quintana with arms warmers, VAlverde no armwarmers, 3rd Movi rider after min 1:00 with armwarmers
see here today: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/752489278165258240
https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/752472860573233152

every fukking rider choses what he likes to wear.

TRENDING THREADS