• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 879 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
"Fired for doping 30 years ago, Sean Yates reveals the Ugly Truth behind the success of Team Sky. Read how hypocrisy, lied, and drugs are behind Great Britain's first two Tour winners"

Nah...that wouldn't be enough to sell a book, get TV appearances, and a sports column in the Mirror.

And implode his reputation in the world he's spent his whole adult life im? For no very good reason? When he himself is up to his eyeballs in it?

Whistleblowing in almost every area is self-destructive and an excellent bet for career suicide. You only do that if you've got nothing to lose, and Yates still has everything to lose.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

kwikki said:
"Fired for doping 30 years ago, Sean Yates reveals the Ugly Truth behind the success of Team Sky. Read how hypocrisy, lied, and drugs are behind Great Britain's first two Tour winners"

Nah...that wouldn't be enough to sell a book, get TV appearances, and a sports column in the Mirror.

Why would he want that? He is a cyclist and the cycling community is his life? Why would he turn his back on that?

Selling a book does not make one rich for life unless it sells millions. Not that many care about cycling.

The TdF is all about attracting foreign tourists to France. The racing is secondary. Cycling is still a small sport that those outside it know it is full of doping. Not many outside UK would care about sky doping book.

Walsh has written a lot of cycling books yet still needs to earn a wage as a hack.

I agree with Cannibals assesment^^

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
kwikki said:

Why would he want that? He is a cyclist and the cycling community is his life? Why would he turn his back on that?

Selling a book does not make one rich for life unless it sells millions. Not that many care about cycling.

The TdF is all about attracting foreign tourists to France. The racing is secondary. Cycling is still a small sport that those outside it know it is full of doping. Not many outside UK would care about sky doping book.

Walsh has written a lot of cycling books yet still needs to earn a wage as a hack.

Pretty much agree with that - although as I said he could easily have accidentally let a few secrets out over a couple of beers.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
kwikki said:

Pretty much agree with that - although as I said he could easily have accidentally let a few secrets out over a couple of beers.

It would've gotten back that Yates let the secrets out. A small sport. Yates did not get where he is today by giving away stuff to the wrong people.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
kwikki said:

It's all possible, both what you and I propose.
However, I'm not sure I agree with your view that an expose wouldn't sell.

You can't have it both ways, you can't say Sky/UCI are making mega bucks from new interest in cycling, and then say that nobody would be interested. Of course they would.

There would be an Oprah moment, although it would be Froome appearing all fat, sweaty, and unshaven on 'This Morning' being interviewed by an indignant Richard Madeley on his moral high horse.

TheSpud said:
thehog said:
Yates didn't retire. He had a very successful coaching business to concentrate on as well as his health.

He also no doubt has to respect the terms of his severance contract from Sky.

Real world, please.

When he left Sky it was announced that he had retired - that is in real world news stories. He did of course then end up at Tinkoff - that, I don't doubt.

Again, severance;

In a prepared statement

Real world.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

kwikki said:
Benotti69 said:
kwikki said:

You can't have it both ways, you can't say Sky/UCI are making mega bucks from new interest in cycling, and then say that nobody would be interested. Of course they would.

There would be an Oprah moment, although it would be Froome appearing all fat, sweaty, and unshaven on 'This Morning' being interviewed by an indignant Richard Madeley on his moral high horse.

Froome is not going to do a tell all and I doubt Oprah would be interested in a nobody won anything ex cyclist DS talking about doping in cycling. She did that already and Yates would not topple Armstrong.

TeamSky are a pet project of Rupert's son.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
buckle said:
One of the positives for Froome (sic) is that even if caught he can go straight into Celebrity Big Brother as the token bad boy. Even Strictly Come Dancing ("Dancing with the Stars") is an option with the opportunity for an affair with a high class Russian courtesan. Failure is an option nowadays. Plenty of money still to be made.

oh boy, we would all love to see VroomDance... must be even better than praying mantis aeropedalling

best reason for VroomBust

thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
Yates didn't retire. He had a very successful coaching business to concentrate on as well as his health.

Real world, please.

When he left Sky it was announced that he had retired - that is in real world news stories. He did of course then end up at Tinkoff - that, I don't doubt.

Again, severance;

In a prepared statement

Real world.

So I think we can agree that he was forced out. So there is probably some truth in the 'furious' stories that I read. I guess the grapes weren't sour enough.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
kwikki said:
The Hitch said:
Lol.

Just heard Froome's comment that because he attacked on the descent, it means he is clean

Lets get this straight. a 13 second gap won on a descent explains a 4 minute gap to 2nd place this year, as well as 2 other tdf wins

My god is he desperate

A four minute gap is not exceptional in the history of the Tour. It's not proof of doping.

But he's not done it clean.
That completely misses the point, which is that Froome was deemed suspicious because he won the Tour thanks to going full genius in MTFs and time trials.

Now, Froome and Brailsford are trying really hard to make it seem like he won the Tour with a descent and a break, when in fact he won it by going full genius in the time trials.

Amazingly, it even seems work on some of their target audience. Never underestimate stupidity.

But he could always* TT well
So yes, that's the narrative for this tour, TT and surprise descending and hard work on the flat. He is just following wheels on the MTF

*Well since August 2011 anyway...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

Real world, please.

Again, severance;

In a prepared statement

Real world.

So I think we can agree that he was forced out. So there is probably some truth in the 'furious' stories that I read. I guess the grapes weren't sour enough.

He was told he was going to be let go. He resigned rather than let Sky do it. He was probably upset by Sky continuosly pandering to those who want a clean sport while he was running UKPostal and thinking why bother lets might as well win.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

kwikki said:
Benotti69 said:
kwikki said:

If the price of Froome being downed is Richard Madeley on his high horse, than it's not worth it. At all.

So, any of you guys heard about these amazing marginal gains Team Sky have come up with? I'm convinced. Completely. No suspicion at all. Definitely nothing which would justify Richard Madeley's presence. It's all pineapple juice and no nutella. Move on, nothing to see.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
TheSpud said:
thehog said:
TheSpud said:
thehog said:

Real world, please.

Again, severance;

In a prepared statement

Real world.

Maybe the guy likes getting a paycheck every month, because he doesn't have enough yet to call it a day.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

ontheroad said:
Sky have learned the lessons from US Postal and Lance. Don't p**s anyone off where possible and if they suffer fools easily (a la Walsh) then take them inside the tent and soften them up. Those who don't suffer fools easily (ie Tucker, Kimmage, Vayer etc) they try and scorn upon but in a manner much more subtle than that which Lance employed. Reality means nothing with sky but perception and image is everything.

Therefore by far the most important aspect of Sky's regime at the moment is the PR. The big focus at the minute is to look as least suspicious as possible in winning the tour and then get the hell out of France where they can be back in their own safe environment in the UK knowing that by and large the public will lap up this great British success story. They know that an adoring media will ask questions as to how they achieved this success in the ultimate endurance event and Brailsford and all the great scientists can wax lyrical about marginal gains and people will buy it and they can make money off the back of it. Witness Brailsford, Peters, Kerrison etc selling their mythical methods.

They also know that outside of their own patriotic fans the reception is one of respect at best and outright hostility at worst. Loved they certainly ain't. Their concerted PR campaign on social media, with compliant mediaoutlets and journalists is the bit that sickens me most. The blatant hypocrisy that no other team engages in to anywhere near the same level.

Whether Froome gets busted will depend on his level of greed and how long he wants to stay around for. Wiggins knew the deal and was uncomfortable continuing success on the road with an achievement based on a lie. He talks about his tour success with no great enthusiasm. He knows. Froome on the other hand seems far more comfortable with his continued success even though his is arguably the greatest transformation in the history of the sport. I do admire his brass neck in this regard considering the sudden dramtic increase in his ability at age 26. This Froome story is becoming bigger and bigger every year and the person/people who eventually uncovers the truth behind Brailsford, Froome sky etc will be heralded someday. Because while they themselves are making money now on the back of this success story, it is also that same thirst for money that will lead to their downfall. David Walsh, for example, has ridden the crest of both waves making a bucketful off the Armstrong story and is now profiting further from his close association with the sky/Froome story. There will be another David Walsh out there somewhere who will talk to people and do the same work with Froome now that the story has become so big and a financial incentive is there to uncover the truth. As Lance found out to his cost, the bigger you are the harder you fall.

well, even in case of VroomBust he can be quite certain Sky mafia won't ask their money back ;-)

win-win

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
gazr99 said:
Totally agree.

If the clinic is right, Sky are one of the more disliked teams. There should be several whistleblowers by now if Sky is as dirty as everyone makes out. It's not like they haven't got rid of any staff/riders and potentially fallen out with them. Sky have dominated the TDF in recent years, I'm sure teams would love to weaken or remove the Sky train. Don't try to use the Murdoch owns the media excuse either, he owns a large proportion yes, but he too is disliked and has rival media companies, who I'm sure would love to bring the team down

Why should there be several whistleblowers? Landis only blew the whistle that led to the downfall of Armstrong because they would not give him a ride?

Can you point to any other rider who has similar cause?

It is also very well documented what happens to whistleblowers?

Sky are rich enough to buy the silence of any potential whistleblowers.

You think Murdoch's partners dont agree with Murdoch and would love to see their Brand exposed as dopers and cheats?

Sorry. But everything Sky has done mirrors doping teams.

Sean Yates and Bobby Jullich had the opportunity to let things slip if they wanted to a few years back. If SKY are doping I'm sure there are other lower level employees who could easily be persuaded to talk, or raise an eyebrow in a certain way, etc.

Why would they?

Yates and Jullich are omerta and continue to enjoy well paid employment in the sport.

Who can afford to better Sky's offers to keep people quiet?

Even when Emma, Betsy and Stephen talked it had no effect on Armstrong! Those in the sport will be fully aware that Sky have the full backing of ASO/UCI/WADA.

This should be repeated over and over: Uniballer went down not because of being a exceptional doper but exceptional a$$hole... with better PR and relations in general, he would still have his jerseys and could even add one more yellow.

And Sky knows it.

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Froome and Brailsford are smug arrogant f#*ks though. Must be lots of people who'd like them brought down. Much like Armstrong. Unlike Indurain.

Or am I in the minority that sees them this way?

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
La Pierre Saint Martin:

1) Froome (2015) 22.61 km/h
2) Hamilton (2003) 21.79 km/h
3) Riis (1996) 21.75 km/h

Somebody with a better memory than me might be able to confirm, but I'm pretty sure 2015 was from the south and the other times you mention weren't.

So maybe not comparable

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
FYI, it's moments like this that annoy me - why aren't Movistar, Yates et al attacking Froome when he is wounded and on the wrong bike? Embarrassing. You know Sky would be ruthless if it was someone else...

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Dan2016 said:
Froome and Brailsford are smug arrogant f#*ks though. Must be lots of people who'd like them brought down. Much like Armstrong. Unlike Indurain.

Or am I in the minority that sees them this way?

I think you are. Froome doesn't seem like the sort to bully teammates or rivals; everyone seems to get on with him reasonably well. Brailsford's maybe a different matter, but I doubt anyone takes him very seriously.

TRENDING THREADS