• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 922 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Matt has a point. Why screen for bilhazrau if there are no symptoms.
Froome was 'riddled' with it, yet suffered none of the traditional symptoms.
Not sky's fault. Froome was lucky that his brother suffered from it, too, so he could warn him and send him to the widely acclaimed Dr Chunge.

Re:

sniper said:
Not sky's fault. Froome was lucky that his brother suffered from it, too, so he could warn him and send him to the widely acclaimed Dr Chunge.

badzilla is soooooo yesterday...we're onto obesity now.....keep up :)

Re: Re:

gillan1969 said:
sniper said:

What this board needs, really needs, is another discussion on tropical diseases!

simoni said:
gillan1969 said:
sniper said:

What this board needs, really needs, is another discussion on tropical diseases!
That and about mandibular prognathism a.k.a. the lantern jaw.

simoni said:
gillan1969 said:
sniper said:

You mock it, without ever having participated in those discussions, and never once offering a single argument to the criticisms of Froome's Bilharzia stories, which you so casually dismiss

The Hitch said:
MatParker117 said:
ferryman said:
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
nothing will ever fool me into thinking that those images are possible naturally for someone who isn't seriously malnourished, and malnourished kids don't produce over 6W/kg for 40 minutes
Yes, those wristbands worn by Froome in the images are the fundraising bracelet for the Bilharzia Foundation.
To encourage public awareness, let's end the stigma of bilharzia emaciation, once and for all. You can buy one, too!
All profits from the sale of wristbands will be used toward medical research, into this neglected subtropical disease.

Team Sky has some 'imaginative' answers for some of the more-trenchant questions raised about performance and personnel.
Indeedly, I still remember the first time I mentioned bilharzia to my south african sis in law (medically qualified I may add). She just laughed, knew friends who contracted it growing up after swimming, common and easily diagnosed, you take a pill (or two), yay big (her words) and that's that. Basically, she just dismissed it as an annoyance easily treated. For those poorer, who can't afford the medication, I'm in no doubt it can be a problem if went untreated. For it to go undetected in a pro cyclist getting his blood tested in the Sky Lab is just beyond believable for me.

I doubt it would be tested for in a routine screening in Western Europe, unless someone actually looked at his blood under a microscope I could see how it could be missed.

What is this based on?

Have you read about how Bilharzia is tested for in Europe vs in Africa?

It wouldn't be tested for unless he was showing symptoms and many individuals often don't show signs. Froome probably had an automated blood test done and I seriously doubt they'd have done a stool test.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
sniper said:
No signs? He was "riddled" with it.
Makes sense.

Katayama fever which is probably what Froome developed, can take weeks to show symptoms which on first glance are similar to a cold or a cough. A lot of european doctors would not think to check for parasites.
Clutching at straws much?

The word 'probably' there nicely underlines that you have no friggin idea what really happened to Froome. And to be fair that's not entirely your fault. He changed his story so often it's hard to keep track.

In sum: no, Froome probably didn't develope Katayama fever.
Anybody who's not been living under a rock in the past 20 years or so knows exactly what probably happened here.

Nomad said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-impossible-to-say-if-wiggins-operated-in-a-grey-area/

Froome is so smooth...he says all the right things while Sky's in crisis mode. He also thinks that the performance enhancing effects of prednisolone is "negligible." Okay Froome...whatever ya say.

He's learning from the best i.e. Sir Dave.
On a serious note, what can he say really? He cant out and out say Wiggo is an ass who robbed me of a Tour win.

silvergrenade said:
Nomad said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-impossible-to-say-if-wiggins-operated-in-a-grey-area/

Froome is so smooth...he says all the right things while Sky's in crisis mode. He also thinks that the performance enhancing effects of prednisolone is "negligible." Okay Froome...whatever ya say.

He's learning from the best i.e. Sir Dave.
On a serious note, what can he say really? He cant out and out say Wiggo is an *** who robbed me of a Tour win.

Why not? If I was clean, and some *** cheated me out of the biggest prize in the sport, I would be livid.

He has also mastered the art of saying absolutely nothing. With Froome, you always feel that he is so terrified of saying anything when he opens his mouth that he ends up saying absolutely nothing and sometimes you wonder if he has an opinion on anything. Anytime you see him interviewed post race you get the impression that he can't get finished up quickly enough.

Given that he was effectively prevented from competing fairly for the 2012 TDF I would have expected a clean rider to be livid at Wiggins and the team for granting the use of an extra 15/20 watts prior to the race commencing. Particularly so given the fact that Wiggins and Froome have never seen eye to eye. Instead we get more wishy washy comments from Froome neither condemning or condoning the use of Kenacort. I stand corrected but Dumoulin is still the only rider I have seen to call a spade a spade. Long live omerta.

Re:

ontheroad said:
He has also mastered the art of saying absolutely nothing. With Froome, you always feel that he is so terrified of saying anything when he opens his mouth that he ends up saying absolutely nothing and sometimes you wonder if he has an opinion on anything. Anytime you see him interviewed post race you get the impression that he can't get finished up quickly enough.

Given that he was effectively prevented from competing fairly for the 2012 TDF I would have expected a clean rider to be livid at Wiggins and the team for granting the use of an extra 15/20 watts prior to the race commencing. Particularly so given the fact that Wiggins and Froome have never seen eye to eye. Instead we get more wishy washy comments from Froome neither condemning or condoning the use of Kenacort. I stand corrected but Dumoulin is still the only rider I have seen to call a spade a spade. Long live omerta.

How can he slag off Wiggins and by implication his employer ? Not going to happen, I am surprised he was this frank tbh.

bigcog said:
ontheroad said:

How can he slag off Wiggins and by implication his employer ? Not going to happen, I am surprised he was this frank tbh.

I agree. The less Froome talks about doping, the better for him. Why would he go down that rabbit hole? He's the dominant GT rider in the world right now riding for the wealthiest team. Don't rock the boat...besides, 2012 was ages ago and he can just let the court of public opinion rake Wiggins, er Sir Bradley, over the coals.

bigcog said:
ontheroad said:

I think you've missed my point. If he was doping then of course he is not going to castigate Wiggins without looking like a massive hypocrite as you rightly point out. My point is that if I was a clean rider then I would be up in arms about Wiggins getting permission from his team to get an artificial extra 15-20 watts of power which propelled him to tour victory when I finished 2nd thus effectively robbing me of tour victory (if you believe that this tipped the scales, which I do). I'd be asking for crisis talks with Brailsford and I'd be livid with Wiggins for getting preferential treatment whilst being kept completely in the dark. Instead we get some wishy washy comments from Froome about questions remaining over the victory. It's not exactly throwing Wiggins under a bus as some are trying to claim but he's simply playing the game and leaving others to engage in the direct heavy criticism. As the current yellow jersey he has a greater responsibility to call this for what it is.

I do wonder privately how the relationship is now between Brailsford and Froome. I always got the impression that Wiggins was Brailsford's golden child and that Froome was a sort of an accident that they never seen coming and then had no option but to embrace after the Vuelta 2011.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

bigcog said:
ontheroad said:

Maybe he wants a raise, maybe he sees TeamBahrain as a future team, who knows. Maybe Froome is not that 'word wise' when it comes to interviews. Kimmage's interview with Froome is great.

Re:

Given that he was effectively prevented from competing fairly for the 2012 TDF .[/quote said:
Oh for goodness sake, this sounds like Froome's autobiography.

For once and for all, he wasn't prevented from competing fairly, he was a teammate of the leader, he was employed to look after him.
That's how it works in Pro-cycling.
Froome as leader was quite happy to accept help from Porte for example, that just how it is.

I read Froomes comments as him being pretty p****d off with Wiggins, but I don't think he could say much more.

It's also interesting that he says he didn't know Wiggins was on that, which, if true, would suggest Sky didn't have a team wide doping policy, but I suppose again he could hardly say he did know.

ontheroad said:
bigcog said:
ontheroad said:

I think you've missed my point. If he was doping then of course he is not going to castigate Wiggins without looking like a massive hypocrite as you rightly point out. My point is that if I was a clean rider then I would be up in arms about Wiggins getting permission from his team to get an artificial extra 15-20 watts of power which propelled him to tour victory when I finished 2nd thus effectively robbing me of tour victory (if you believe that this tipped the scales, which I do). I'd be asking for crisis talks with Brailsford and I'd be livid with Wiggins for getting preferential treatment whilst being kept completely in the dark. Instead we get some wishy washy comments from Froome about questions remaining over the victory. It's not exactly throwing Wiggins under a bus as some are trying to claim but he's simply playing the game and leaving others to engage in the direct heavy criticism. As the current yellow jersey he has a greater responsibility to call this for what it is.

I do wonder privately how the relationship is now between Brailsford and Froome. I always got the impression that Wiggins was Brailsford's golden child and that Froome was a sort of an accident that they never seen coming and then had no option but to embrace after the Vuelta 2011.
Maybe Brailsford never warmed to Froome because Chris went out and got on his own program so there was never that trust. Probably didn't want to know what Froome was doing so he really could claim ignorance when he gets busted. Not so with Wiggo. He was created by Sky/BC.

coinneach said:
Given that he was effectively prevented from competing fairly for the 2012 TDF .

Oh for goodness sake, this sounds like Froome's autobiography.

For once and for all, he wasn't prevented from competing fairly, he was a teammate of the leader, he was employed to look after him.
That's how it works in Pro-cycling.
Froome as leader was quite happy to accept help from Porte for example, that just how it is.

I read Froomes comments as him being pretty p****d off with Wiggins, but I don't think he could say much more.

It's also interesting that he says he didn't know Wiggins was on that, which, if true, would suggest Sky didn't have a team wide doping policy, but I suppose again he could hardly say he did know.
Ah, yes, Froome, the rider clearly regarded as far stronger than Wiggins with folks touting that he should have won...
Now he's possibly suggesting that they guy who won, and wasn't as strong as him, was in fact doping...
And will Senor Froome be pushing the "but I, as a clean rider was superior to this doper"??
Because that's legit, and not suss in any way... :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS