• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 960 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
I think, Froome could win everything and even beating 7 wins, he will never be the «hero» Armstrong was.

He is just too dull now.

I agree with hog on this.

It was an obvious strategy to ease the masses.

Issue is, most cycling fans dont mind the doping.
They just dont fall in love with strategic and faux pleasers that appear to be teleprompting their way through customer oriented analysis.

The UKPostal brand doesnt help him either.
Cycling, at this level is not a team sport first and foremost.

Bring back the deviant alien, and he can become legend.

I dont think ASO will allow more than 5.

I see Froome going for 1 more TdF win and a Giro win to go with this years Vuelta win. If he has all 3 GTs* then he will retire.

I think the Froome's are trying to play an Indurain type game rather any other.

*5TdFs, a Giro and a Vuelta.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
rick james said:
TeflonDub said:
rick james said:
Using lemond on here as something to back up your argument is a big no no around here

Try to play the ball, not the man. Do you have an issue with anything he said? Or just that he was the one saying it?

High cadence accelerations in incredibly low gears and numerous examples of having to freewheel through hairpins going UP mountains. Yeah, don't believe your lying eyes, what you're seeing from Froome is totes legit.
no I have a problem with him using LeMond as a back up to an argument, Lemond is hated on here yet when it suits some he's the big dog in cycling

and yes Froome is totes legit as you'd say

Same sort of underhand tactics often seen in political situations.

1 member of group x says something - outrage "all members of group x believe this".

Sniper says Lemond doped = "everyone on the clinic hates lemond therefore everyone is a hypocrite if another member of the clinic says something else about Lemond".

I guess your still resentful that Lemond turned on sky and started asking the same sort of questions anyone with an iq above 18 asks about why Brailsford and the whole sky setup look so dodgy.

Similarly, it's possible to have never been interested in LeMond as a public figure/entertainer (which is what pro athletes are on one level), even to have been skeptical of that persona well in advance of Armstrong's career or doping questions and still take him as a credible authority on GT performance techniques (whether his own statements are made in good or bad faith.)

The bitter and jilted attempts to discredit all critiques of Froome and fans of anyone else are getting pretty tedious to read. One wonders why someone would bother reading and posting if their alienation is so acute.

So now that Froome is in pole-position to win the Vuelta as well, what happened to the argument, that 'Doing the double and winning the Tour and Vuelta or a bit more realistic, the Giro and Vuelta is not possible anymore in this, our clean era of cycling...'?

Moreover, that this circumstance, is used as an argument that cycling and Sky and Froome in particular are all clean as snow?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm more and more starting to think mechanical doping because Froome really was incredibly untalented before 2011 (even missed the Giro time cut once).

Froome never seems to tire out, just look at the difference between him and Bardet in this Vuelta.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
What's happened to digger_forum
He's back on Twitter.

08.26.2017-10.18.png

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Froome is competing with himself in different competitions like "the most ridiculous performance", "the highest cadence known to mankind", " thinner than Froome", "the first rider to use Tour as a prep race for Vuelta" and "the best yoyoer of the century".
why can't you just enjoy the show for what it is?

you'll miss him when he's gone

The Hitch said:
rick james said:
TeflonDub said:
rick james said:
Using lemond on here as something to back up your argument is a big no no around here

Try to play the ball, not the man. Do you have an issue with anything he said? Or just that he was the one saying it?

High cadence accelerations in incredibly low gears and numerous examples of having to freewheel through hairpins going UP mountains. Yeah, don't believe your lying eyes, what you're seeing from Froome is totes legit.
no I have a problem with him using LeMond as a back up to an argument, Lemond is hated on here yet when it suits some he's the big dog in cycling

and yes Froome is totes legit as you'd say

Same sort of underhand tactics often seen in political situations.

1 member of group x says something - outrage "all members of group x believe this".

Sniper says Lemond doped = "everyone on the clinic hates lemond therefore everyone is a hypocrite if another member of the clinic says something else about Lemond".

I guess your still resentful that Lemond turned on sky and started asking the same sort of questions anyone with an iq above 18 asks about why Brailsford and the whole sky setup look so dodgy.

Go to the Bertie thread, apparently not everyone thinks like the clinic does...why is that?

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Froome is competing with himself in different competitions like "the most ridiculous performance", "the highest cadence known to mankind", " thinner than Froome", "the first rider to use Tour as a prep race for Vuelta" and "the best yoyoer of the century".

Ha. Love this. That is exactly how the season has panned out.

In previous Vuelta's (bar 2011) Froome has been decidedly one-paced on the climbs, often to the rear of the leading group, with the eurosport commentators claiming, rather bizarrely, he is known for steadily climbing at his own pace, eyes glued to the power meter.

Great to see the egg-whisk back in Spain. This is the Froomey we recognise.

rick james said:
Rollthedice said:

I already missed him in Le Tour, thought he lost his mojo, just hanging on with the likes of Duran Duran.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

rick james said:
Rollthedice said:

Nope, well find other unbelievable performances to laugh at. Heck lots have been laughing since Sestriere in 1999. :lol:

I started laughing when BigMig's big arse left lil Pippa York for dead on a Pyrenean col.

Any tour he's ever won he has dominated it from the very beginning and never had a truly bad day when it really mattered. The only possible exception being in this years tour where he lost about 20 secs on a 250m steep ramp. This Vuelta appears to be taking the same path because the majority of the other GC riders are effectively down 2:00+ minutes from the beginning due to time trialling.

Re:

ontheroad said:
Any tour he's ever won he has dominated it from the very beginning and never had a truly bad day when it really mattered. The only possible exception being in this years tour where he lost about 20 secs on a 250m steep ramp. This Vuelta appears to be taking the same path because the majority of the other GC riders are effectively down 2:00+ minutes from the beginning due to time trialling.

Yes and yes. As a cycling fan, I have enjoyed several grand tours in recent years, classics races, etc., except for the TDFs where Froome was participating (starting with 2012, when he could have won), because in every one of those events, the outcome was very clear early on -- in those tours it was obvious that Froome was on a physiological level way above everyone else. Strategy is irrelevant because he's boatloads stronger than all other contenders. I maintain that he sandbagged it in this year's TDF to provide a semblance of legitimacy to the thing. The one grand tour where Froome had a competitor on a similar level was the 2014 Vuelta, but that must have an asterisk beside it because Froome was preparing for the TDF that year -- the Vuelta was a backup plan after he crashed out of the Tour. I can accept races where contenders are probably (almost certainly) doping, if the sporting element is there, but when the playing field is not level -- when one guy is playing on a completely different level -- then the event does suck.

Re:

ontheroad said:
This Vuelta is taking the same path because Froome has finally realised that he needs to (somewhat) keep it in his pants at the TDF if he wants to win the double. Froome was never in any danger at all, even on the Peyresourde. He might drop seconds here and there to Chaves and Contador on the crazy steep stuff, but the 40km TT will set them straight.

As for the TTT, none of the real challengers lost more than 45 seconds, most less than 20. Don't try and tell us that's why he won in two weeks time.

TRENDING THREADS