• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1027 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

gillan1969 said:
mb2612 said:
brownbobby said:
LaFlorecita said:
mb2612 said:
One thing to note on dehydration, is that the stage was only 4 hours, with a break winning by 10 minutes, and the temperature was only 20 C, and Froome finished well.

As such, it's hard to see a reason why he would be more dehydrated on this stage than on any of the others.
Good point!

No one yet has claimed that he was more dehydrated.

He's admitted (or at least offered as part of his excuse) that he increased his doseage.

So, increased doseage, same levels of hydration = higher levels in the body when tested

Sure, the obvious defence is presumably something along the lines of:

1) He normally takes 400 mcg a day, 1/4 of the maximum amount
2) As he was suffering more than usual he increased this dosage to the maximum daily amount, 1600 mcg
3) Unbeknown to Froome, his quarterly maximum leaves him with a blood concentration of 500ng/ml (half the limit)
4) He quadrupled his dose and accidentally triggered the test, while still following the rules

As he was tested every day, there should be a measure of salbutamol every day, so if Sky have recorded his daily dose (and surely they keep their medical records) then it could be relatively easy to map the ingestion and excretion quantities.

If the values don't line up, then one possible explanation would be dehydration, as studies have shown that you can get significant spikes in salbutamol though a combination of legal doses and dehydration.

As such, it's useful to know if Froome was more dehydrated on stage 18 than normal, and given the stage and weather, that seems pretty unlikely. It's possible that even on an easy stage he didn't drink and hence got dehydrated, someone could probably go through the footage to check if they were very keen to rule out that possibility.

then these figures would be replicated in the study he'll be undertaking and submiting to the UCI

With what is at stake I would imagine that this study would have already been undertaken and the results not replicated...otherwise the issue would already have been resolved

I think you're right, although don't underestimate how long it can take to the get the relevant experts lined up for matters such as this.

I think the most telling 'clue' we have so far is Froome resorting to bringing in the top (very expensive) lawyers. If he could prove this with medical data alone why would this be necessary. My guess would be that tests have been done, data doesn't fully support his defence, so now he needs the legal angle to try and find some loophole to escape through.

brownbobby said:
gillan1969 said:
mb2612 said:
brownbobby said:
LaFlorecita said:
Good point!

No one yet has claimed that he was more dehydrated.

He's admitted (or at least offered as part of his excuse) that he increased his doseage.

So, increased doseage, same levels of hydration = higher levels in the body when tested

Sure, the obvious defence is presumably something along the lines of:

1) He normally takes 400 mcg a day, 1/4 of the maximum amount
2) As he was suffering more than usual he increased this dosage to the maximum daily amount, 1600 mcg
3) Unbeknown to Froome, his quarterly maximum leaves him with a blood concentration of 500ng/ml (half the limit)
4) He quadrupled his dose and accidentally triggered the test, while still following the rules

As he was tested every day, there should be a measure of salbutamol every day, so if Sky have recorded his daily dose (and surely they keep their medical records) then it could be relatively easy to map the ingestion and excretion quantities.

If the values don't line up, then one possible explanation would be dehydration, as studies have shown that you can get significant spikes in salbutamol though a combination of legal doses and dehydration.

As such, it's useful to know if Froome was more dehydrated on stage 18 than normal, and given the stage and weather, that seems pretty unlikely. It's possible that even on an easy stage he didn't drink and hence got dehydrated, someone could probably go through the footage to check if they were very keen to rule out that possibility.

then these figures would be replicated in the study he'll be undertaking and submiting to the UCI

With what is at stake I would imagine that this study would have already been undertaken and the results not replicated...otherwise the issue would already have been resolved

I think you're right, although don't underestimate how long it can take to the get the relevant experts lined up for matters such as this.

I think the most telling 'clue' we have so far is Froome resorting to bringing in the top (very expensive) lawyers. If he could prove this with medical data alone why would this be necessary. My guess would be that tests have been done, data doesn't fully support his defence, so now he needs the legal angle to try and find some loophole to escape through.

Keep your hands up ... and protect yourself at all times. Exacty what he should be doing.

gillan1969 said:
Barbapapa said:
https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/941257918015528960?s=17

It’s sad seeing the misconceptions that are out there about athletes & salbutamol use. My hope is that this doesn’t prevent asthmatic athletes from using their inhalers in emergency situations for fear of being judged. It is not something to be ashamed of @asthmauk #asthma
6:45 PM · Dec 14, 2017

at one with the asthma community...I await a charity - livefroome

Breathestrong*

*I saw that on Twitter tbh

MartinGT said:
gillan1969 said:
Barbapapa said:
https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/941257918015528960?s=17

It’s sad seeing the misconceptions that are out there about athletes & salbutamol use. My hope is that this doesn’t prevent asthmatic athletes from using their inhalers in emergency situations for fear of being judged. It is not something to be ashamed of @asthmauk #asthma
6:45 PM · Dec 14, 2017

at one with the asthma community...I await a charity - livefroome

Breathestrong*

*I saw that on Twitter tbh

Froomestrong. Breathestrong. Livefroome. Those rascals on Twitter, how do they come up with all this great stuff. They're so funny. They should get their own show :rolleyes:

Re:

Bronstein said:
Froome pulling an Armstrong:

UtukZbC.jpg

That is scraping the bottom of the barrel.... it’s the “I’m sorry for the cynics and sceptics who don’t believe...”

It’s got Michelle written all over it mind you. Get Lance back, at least he could lie with conviction, this guy has crumbled and is now appeasing to the asthma sufferers around the world to “believe and remain strong”.

Sorry to say but this is end of Froome. He is fried one way or the other.

The Hitch said:
TheSpud said:
deviant said:
This kind of bears out what I've been saying for months, that Sky have learnt to dope with 'legal' prescription meds as opposed to the old way of EPO and blood bags...seems someone made a miscalculation though, oops.

Ok, so as you I’m a Sky fan and I guess you didn’t expect me or others to post here today (but I bet you were salivating at the prospect). In the past I have sparred with many a Clinic ‘beast’ (you know who you are) about Sky, etc. I guess now its time for me to man up, post and take the flak.

I have responded to the post above for a reason. I’ve always said that I believe that this is what Sky have been doing – pushing the grey areas : Xenon, Cortisone, Salbutamol, etc. within legal limits. I wouldn’t be surprised if Meldonium featured in there at one stage – the comments from Wiggins about being told what they could or couldn’t take, etc. suggests (strongly) that they were operating this way. ie Playing by the letter of the rules – but not the spirit.

So let me lay a few things out here based on Froome’s AAF:

1. Does this come as a surprise to me? No, not really.

2. Am I disappointed? Yes and no – you do what you have to do within the rules to win, unfortunately that is professional sport.

3. Do I think Sky are cheating? That’s a tough one – its been said before that what Sky are suspected of doing isn’t illegal (in a doping sense) but immoral. That to me supports the ‘grey’ area argument that I mentioned above- so technically not doping / cheating. This is where the rules need clarifying, etc. (and yes I do think these rules are exploited).

4. Should Froome be punished? Yes of course – rules are rules, BUT if there is some provable mitigation, etc.it needs looking at. To be honest I can’t see it so I foresee a ban.

I believe I’ve been fairly brave and honest here in posting and opening myself up for the inevitable flak.

Spud

I notice there are a lot of these "Hey everyone - this is what I think!!!" posts from the last remaining beliebers.

Trying to put a cloak of rationality on their opinion, they write long posts about just how complicated the story really is.
Arguments of the "maybe he is guilty maybe he isn't, its more complicated, we just don't know, this is a really complex issue and I am being rational about it" variety.

Its very clear what they are trying to do is to implictly create the illusion that the clinic are just irrational uncivilized barbarian haters who just hate froome because hate hate hate and in typical barbarian fashion jump on any media story without checking the facts.

They always emphasize the - "its just my opinion", in every post, sometimes twice, which feigns humility but in reality its just away for them to distinguish themselves from the mob because then they can claim that in civilized fashion they mark their own opinions whereas us barbarians in the clinic dont even do that.

Its not very distinguishable from the way fraud journos like Syed or Moore or Walsh would mock and cast down the likes of digger as beneath them because they, the great journos adhere to the great journalistic standards such as being sceptical to every story (unless the story comes from the mouth of Brailsford in which case it is accepted 100% as truth) or only accepting truth it a judge signs of on it (or if Brailsford says its true) whereas the plebian digger will just believe stories that haven't even been verified by court - the horror.

In the same way here, Spud and brownbobby play themselves are the representatives of polite society, here to set the mob straight, and of course very brave for doing so.

Lets put an end to this crap.

The rational response to this story isn't to park oneself on the fence (while looking down only at the sceptics) and treat Froome's positive test as a complicated historical question to which even the greatest minds in history would never find an answer.

Its to view him as guilty. THe only argument for a few years now in favour of froome has been that he didn't test positive, everrything else about him screamed guilty, most notably the fact that he lied about everything (always excused as - poor froomie just has a poor memory). You guys dont want us to go over the full gammet of arguments and reasons to doubt Sky, from the book series one could write about Sky's and Froome's lies to the tv soap opera that could be filmed about cyclings problems with doping, from the taint on all TDF winners to the continues weakness of testing etc.

Despite claiming to be commited to cleanliness and transparency they tried to hide the story, just like they tried to hide the jiffy bag story and then lied their teeth off about it, and as a poster above pointed out, these are just the stories that actually got leaked.

Keep acting as the rational ones if you want, in your own minds, but no one is buying it.

Nah ... figure ye don't have much time for the old barbarism after a hard day at the keyboard.

But ... you might qualify as a 'ruffian' (lite). Or a nouveau cadre in Mao's China of 1957 ... polish up the xenophobia and anti-intellectualism. A few interval sessions at steamroller threshold. Bada bing, bada boom.

Re:

Blanco said:
I'm with Jaksche and Digger with this. Blood bag. Huge amounts of salbutamol taken between two races, for weight loss. He then withdrew blood for a BB full of salbutamol. He probably wanted to reinfuse it for Angliru stage, but panicked after Los Machucos and get it back straight away.

This. The most reasonable explanation for the salbutamol spike.

Alpe73 said:
The Hitch said:
TheSpud said:
deviant said:
This kind of bears out what I've been saying for months, that Sky have learnt to dope with 'legal' prescription meds as opposed to the old way of EPO and blood bags...seems someone made a miscalculation though, oops.

Ok, so as you I’m a Sky fan and I guess you didn’t expect me or others to post here today (but I bet you were salivating at the prospect). In the past I have sparred with many a Clinic ‘beast’ (you know who you are) about Sky, etc. I guess now its time for me to man up, post and take the flak.

I have responded to the post above for a reason. I’ve always said that I believe that this is what Sky have been doing – pushing the grey areas : Xenon, Cortisone, Salbutamol, etc. within legal limits. I wouldn’t be surprised if Meldonium featured in there at one stage – the comments from Wiggins about being told what they could or couldn’t take, etc. suggests (strongly) that they were operating this way. ie Playing by the letter of the rules – but not the spirit.

So let me lay a few things out here based on Froome’s AAF:

1. Does this come as a surprise to me? No, not really.

2. Am I disappointed? Yes and no – you do what you have to do within the rules to win, unfortunately that is professional sport.

3. Do I think Sky are cheating? That’s a tough one – its been said before that what Sky are suspected of doing isn’t illegal (in a doping sense) but immoral. That to me supports the ‘grey’ area argument that I mentioned above- so technically not doping / cheating. This is where the rules need clarifying, etc. (and yes I do think these rules are exploited).

4. Should Froome be punished? Yes of course – rules are rules, BUT if there is some provable mitigation, etc.it needs looking at. To be honest I can’t see it so I foresee a ban.

I believe I’ve been fairly brave and honest here in posting and opening myself up for the inevitable flak.

Spud

I notice there are a lot of these "Hey everyone - this is what I think!!!" posts from the last remaining beliebers.

Trying to put a cloak of rationality on their opinion, they write long posts about just how complicated the story really is.
Arguments of the "maybe he is guilty maybe he isn't, its more complicated, we just don't know, this is a really complex issue and I am being rational about it" variety.

Its very clear what they are trying to do is to implictly create the illusion that the clinic are just irrational uncivilized barbarian haters who just hate froome because hate hate hate and in typical barbarian fashion jump on any media story without checking the facts.

They always emphasize the - "its just my opinion", in every post, sometimes twice, which feigns humility but in reality its just away for them to distinguish themselves from the mob because then they can claim that in civilized fashion they mark their own opinions whereas us barbarians in the clinic dont even do that.

Its not very distinguishable from the way fraud journos like Syed or Moore or Walsh would mock and cast down the likes of digger as beneath them because they, the great journos adhere to the great journalistic standards such as being sceptical to every story (unless the story comes from the mouth of Brailsford in which case it is accepted 100% as truth) or only accepting truth it a judge signs of on it (or if Brailsford says its true) whereas the plebian digger will just believe stories that haven't even been verified by court - the horror.

In the same way here, Spud and brownbobby play themselves are the representatives of polite society, here to set the mob straight, and of course very brave for doing so.

Lets put an end to this crap.

The rational response to this story isn't to park oneself on the fence (while looking down only at the sceptics) and treat Froome's positive test as a complicated historical question to which even the greatest minds in history would never find an answer.

Its to view him as guilty. THe only argument for a few years now in favour of froome has been that he didn't test positive, everrything else about him screamed guilty, most notably the fact that he lied about everything (always excused as - poor froomie just has a poor memory). You guys dont want us to go over the full gammet of arguments and reasons to doubt Sky, from the book series one could write about Sky's and Froome's lies to the tv soap opera that could be filmed about cyclings problems with doping, from the taint on all TDF winners to the continues weakness of testing etc.

Despite claiming to be commited to cleanliness and transparency they tried to hide the story, just like they tried to hide the jiffy bag story and then lied their teeth off about it, and as a poster above pointed out, these are just the stories that actually got leaked.

Keep acting as the rational ones if you want, in your own minds, but no one is buying it.

Nah ... figure ye don't have much time for the old barbarism after a hard day at the keyboard.

But ... you might qualify as a 'ruffian' (lite). Or a nouveau cadre in Mao's China of 1957 ... polish up the xenophobia and anti-intellectualism. A few interval sessions at steamroller threshold. Bada bing, bada boom.
Still salty about yesterday? Don't worry, it could last a while ;)

In the meantime you can keep insisting that you aren't actually a froome fan and just a neutral

Kretch said:
Blanco said:
I'm with Jaksche and Digger with this. Blood bag. Huge amounts of salbutamol taken between two races, for weight loss. He then withdrew blood for a BB full of salbutamol. He probably wanted to reinfuse it for Angliru stage, but panicked after Los Machucos and get it back straight away.

No it's not, as someone else posted on the All About Salbutamol thread:

"Doesn't compute. As the blood you infuse would be diluted by your existing blood pool 20 fold. So initial blood concentration would have to be so high you would have an arythmia."

Plus:

Daniel Freibe: Have seen speculation over last 24hrs about salbutamol possibly being a masking agent. France National Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) testing director Michel Audran told me today this is definitely NOT the case.

Assuming the above is correct it looks he took too much one way or the other, so it's a ban and end of career unless he can prove experimentally that he can take allowed doses and get the AAF's he got, from what I've read that seems unlikely.

Kretch said:
Blanco said:

I like this theory as well. He was probably using an inhaler during the race within the rules but the contents in that blood bag made it worse.

Memories of Contador come to mind. Different drugs but similar failed logistics!

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Kretch said:
Blanco said:

I like this theory as well. He was probably using an inhaler during the race within the rules but the contents in that blood bag made it worse.

Memories of Contador come to mind. Different drugs but similar failed logistics!

Agreed. Now where is Michael Ashenden when you need him?

Escarabajo said:
Kretch said:
Blanco said:

Do they ever test blood in competition, or is it only ever urine tests? I should probably know the answer to this, but i dont....

thehog said:
Bronstein said:

UtukZbC.jpg

That is scraping the bottom of the barrel.... it’s the “I’m sorry for the cynics and sceptics who don’t believe...”

It’s got Michelle written all over it mind you. Get Lance back, at least he could lie with conviction, this guy has crumbled and is now appeasing to the asthma sufferers around the world to “believe and remain strong”.

Poor froomey. He has to overdose prescripted dosages in order to becoming a Grand Tour-legend. He could die otherwise. :rolleyes:

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

MatParker117 said:

Bob Iger will remain through 2021, think no matter what Disney will fold the team.[/quote]

Well let's hope so enough is enough eh :D

But James Murdoch will be there for a while and may get a senior position in the new company. Although fair to say Murdoch, and for that matter Brailsfraud, don't fit Disney's squeaky clean image

[url=https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/14/rupert-murdochs-60bn-disney-deal-reshapes-his-media-empire]https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/14/rupert-murdochs-60bn-disney-deal-reshapes-his-media-empire

'Disney chief executive Bob Iger has signed a contract extension to continue to run the business until 2021. James Murdoch, the chief executive of 21st Century Fox, has not been named in the new corporate structure but Iger said that discussions are ongoing about a potential role. “James and I have had lot of conversations about the future of these companies,” said Iger, on a call with analysts. “He has been great throughout this process. He will be integral to helping integrate the companies over a number of months. During that period of time we will continue to discuss whether there is a role for him here or not.” '

No_Balls said:
thehog said:
Bronstein said:

UtukZbC.jpg

Poor froomey. He has to overdose prescripted dosages in order to becoming a Tour de France-legend. He could die otherwise. :rolleyes:

from this can we conclude that losing time to Nibali on the preceding stage is an "emergency situation"?

more comedy gold from our hapless hero.... :lol: