• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1078 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another good find, Rtd. Though this may be just a rumor, it makes sense. If Froome were sure his suspension were just six months, backdated to the time of the positive, he would more likely be willing to take the lab test. If he fails it, as is likely, he can still ride the Giro and TDF without worrying about losing any results there after those GTs are over. Or if wants, he can gamble and appeal the decision to CAS, in hopes of getting his Vuelta title back. He could still ride the Giro and Vuelta while the CAS proceedings are pending, and while technically he could lose those results if CAS ruled even more against him, since the initial hearing had him done with the suspension before the Giro, it would not be as though he were riding under uncertainty. Probably CAS would either uphold the suspension or remove the sanction entirely, but not give him an even longer suspension, though it's possible, since CAS basically starts all over.

Having said all this, I wonder how he could get less of a suspension than Ulissi, who admitted he made a mistake, while Froome is claiming he didn't take more than the allowed amount.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Admitting it doesn't exactly help.. CAS from Sundby:

"The Athlete acknowledges that he nebulized 15,000 μg of salbutamol within a 24-hour period on the days he
delivered the Samples. The Athlete has accordingly by virtue of that fact alone admitted the violation at issue here."

And he got off with 2 months.

I was chatting with a friend last night. I've not seen him for a while and he brought up the Froome thing. He seriously believes he and sky are clean. He's only just getting into cycling and he quoted some things that Brailsfraud has said in the past.

This is what sky and the Dawg are aiming their BS to. The 'standard' British public who have almost no interest in day to day racing. The ones who like a bit of the TDF especially when in this county and watch the Olympics or some track when it's on the Beeb.

I feel with comments now coming from more and more pro riders past and present the net is closing in on the BS

Re: Re:

rick james said:
Wiggo's Package said:
The Dawg has done the Tour Down Under last two years no way have Sky shifted off that programme without external pressure

And for years folk have been wondering how the Dawg rides that skinny all year round we're starting to get some answers eh

Busting the Dawg for salbutamol is like busting Al Capone for tax dodging

New sheriff in town just gotta get em off the streets
LIES!!!!!!!!

eheheh, I would expect a bit more of attention from people focused onf Froome/Sky. if you dont know he rode Herald Sun and NOT TDU, well, you´re doing it wrong ;)

Boogerd is back again with some thoughts, adapted after google translate:

"I find it very special that it has to take so long before there is clarity", says Boogerd in the Spanish Calpe in conversation with NUsport. "Froome deserves a suspension, unless he comes with a clear statement, but I think it is simply not there."

"If the UCI does not suspend Froome... so that's once again a confirmation that Team Sky can do whatever it wants and that's not the intention"

"In the past, riders have been suspended for months because of the same offense, so why should not that apply to Froome? We are talking about the four-time winner of the Tour de France and the Team Sky leader, which is the big problem."

"What I initially thought - that would be typically the UCI - is that they would suspend it from December to May, when Froome could have just ride the Giro and the Tour, which they did not do, so I'm curious to see how this will unfold."

https://www.nu.nl/sport-overig/5085710/boogerd-vindt-uitblijven-beslissing-uci-froome-heel-apart.html

This is even better. il Giornale title:

Asthma patients? Hit by typhus? You will win 4 Tours as Froome

"Do you feel poorly fit? Do you think you are now chronically ill? Good! The future can only smile, especially if you dedicate yourself to a competitive sport, better if it is cycling."

"The rider's defense is very simple: it is true that he increased the dosage of the bronchodilator used (2,000 ng / ml against the 1,000 allowed, ed) against asthma, the active ingredient of Ventolin, but without exceeding the limits. However the metabolism has had different reactions. This is why Froome will have to undergo laboratory evaluations in the next few weeks. The goal is to demonstrate the impact (and not only that) of dehydration on urinary excretion."

"Froome is also a champion of diseases. Just look at him wandering through the hotels halls to realize that Sky's number one is not the embodiment of health. Pale, thin face: skin and bones. Let’s not even talk about riding his Pinarello: it is a constant agony. He always seems to give up and collapse, but as a hero, he is always standing and almost never gives up, indeed."

Then there's a reference to this Daily Mail story: Chris Froome's secret battle: Eight doctors, six clinics, four countries and five different illnesses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2673588/Chris-Froomes-secret-battle-Eight-doctors-six-clinics-four-countries-five-different-illnesses-remarkable-personal-struggle-Great-Britains-Tour-France-champion.html#ixzz549miJrq3

"One thing is certain: does your back hurt? Do you have dizziness? Do you struggle to climb the stairs at home? Do not lose heart: a good “pomatina” and a few nanograms of Ventolin and the Sanremo is really within your reach."

http://www.ilgiornale.it/news/sport/malati-asma-colpiti-tifo-vincerete-4-tour-froome-1482821.html

MartinGT said:
I was chatting with a friend last night. I've not seen him for a while and he brought up the Froome thing. He seriously believes he and sky are clean. He's only just getting into cycling and he quoted some things that Brailsfraud has said in the past.

This is what sky and the Dawg are aiming their BS to. The 'standard' British public who have almost no interest in day to day racing. The ones who like a bit of the TDF especially when in this county and watch the Olympics or some track when it's on the Beeb.

I feel with comments now coming from more and more pro riders past and present the net is closing in on the BS

Oh, I see, Martin ... the 'standard' British public must be rescued from SKY FRAUD by the savants on the Clinic, you know, the 'genuine' cycling fans with a Dura Ace, Geant de Provence or a pave(y) stone logo beaming out of their arseholes.

Open up the windows and get some fresh air, FFS. Breathe .... Nothing needs to be rescued. You've been scammed, bro ... and not by the Dawg or Sky.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Rollthedice said:
Boogerd is back again with some thoughts, adapted after google translate:
"In the past, riders have been suspended for months because of the same offense, so why should not that apply to Froome? We are talking about the four-time winner of the Tour de France and the Team Sky leader, which is the big problem."

Moser as well
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2018/01/13/108149/moser-froome-squalifica-bitossi-bici-club

Francesco Moser, who doped with Conconi for the 1984 Hour Record, and who proposed total legalization of doping in 2006, now takes the position: that the rules themselves are debatable, but the same standard should be applied to Froome, wonders why Froome has not already been suspended.

The il Giornale article you found was just brutal, the whole piece is soaked in irony and sarcasm.
Anyway, Froome is not doing well with the Italian press, and with some logic - since the upcoming controversy about the Giro is not far on the horizon, if nothing changes, then the Italian journalists will have to face it first
Well yeah, the Moser thing is a bit ironic, blood doping pioneer and he also had a motor (in that case an entire helicopter) to improve his performance before it was cool.
If Froome comes to ride the Giro before the whole thing gets solved things could get pretty ugly.

Alpe73 said:
MartinGT said:

Oh, I see, Martin ... the 'standard' British public must be rescued from SKY FRAUD by the savants on the Clinic, you know, the 'genuine' cycling fans with a Dura Ace, Geant de Provence or a pave(y) stone logo beaming out of their arseholes.

Open up the windows and get some fresh air, FFS. Breathe .... Nothing needs to be rescued. You've been scammed, bro ... and not by the Dawg or Sky.

this

that´s what has always puzzled me. I don´t know why so much drive into wanting casual cycling fans to see the "truth" (can we speak of truth in pro-cycling?....)

Alpe73 said:
MartinGT said:

He certainly hasn't been scammed by Sky or Froome. Nor has most of the cycling public. But he's entirely right about who the PR nonsense is aimed at.

macbindle said:
Netserk said:
Only gender, not sex?

How do you know what sex the person in the video is? ;)
noun
noun: gender; plural noun: genders

the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
"traditional concepts of gender"

sex
sɛks/
noun
noun: sex; plural noun: sexes

either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.
"adults of both sexes"
synonyms: gender
"adults of both sexes"
the fact of belonging to either the male or female sex.
"direct discrimination involves treating someone less favourably on the grounds of their sex"
the group of all members of either the male or female sex.
"she was well known for her efforts to improve the social condition of her sex"
synonyms: gender
"adults of both sexes"

I do think though that it is fair to assume one's gender. And I do assume that the gender of the person in question matches their sex. (Just like I don't ask a woman if she is heterosexual before I flirt with her.)

red_flanders said:
Alpe73 said:
MartinGT said:

He certainly hasn't been scammed by Sky or Froome. Nor has most of the cycling public. But he's entirely right about who the PR nonsense is aimed at.

Well, some of the 'standard' fans and I are going to sit down at my place and watch the Giro on the big screen. I hope Froome is there (but won't bat an eye, if he's not) because it might be a good TD-CF showdown. I'll put on some food and beers and laughs. You and Martin are quite welcome to join, if you like. If not, feel free to boycott the event outside my place. If it's chilly, we'll bring out some hot coffee, periodically. Entirely up to you, my friend.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
movingtarget said:
Blanco said:
Moser was a great rider however, with or without doping. Froome isn't.
And if Moser doped for his entire career.....................
The situation with Moser was in the context of his rivalry in the late 1970s with Saronni - by the early 1980s Moser was fading due to aging, and it seemed like he would be surpassed by Saronni, who was 6 years younger.
Then Moser had his "miracle year" of 1984 - with the Hour Record, the Giro, and Milan-Sanremo. Took it to a new level, because he was a pioneer of blood doping.

I wouldn't say, before 1983, Moser is known to have been "doping". At least I'm not aware of the evidence of any doping in particular, before Conconi ?

Moser was one of the greatest one-day racers, ever. Froome is not comparable, because Froome follows the formulaic model of targeting GTs using "train team" tactics - being pulled along in a predictable robotic routine. Froome was basically undistinguished before his "transformation", and would have been a failure in one-day races, which depend more on individuality

It's notable that most of the cyclists who have called for Froome's suspension are either retired, or are in cyclocross and therefore will never face Sky in road-racing. Tony Martin was pretty weak to call it a "scandal" and then back-pedal, he should have played his cards differently, it just shows how even big-name riders are made ineffectual. In a way, Nibali was the most outspoken by implying that he would have won the Vuelta had Froome not been doping.

Moser is eminent to the point that he has nothing to lose, by criticizing active riders.
And it's not like Moser came out and said Froome is a chump who will never be among the all-time greats, he just said that: given there is an agreement about certain doping limits, those standards should apply to Froome as well. The sub-text is that old-school Italian cycling world is irritated by this controversy

I'm reminded of the scene in Goodfellas when the young Henry is actually congratulated on being caught as he didn't snitch and took his punishment...contrary to his expectation that they would be annoyed....

Re:

Blanco said:
Moser was a great rider however, with or without doping. Froome isn't.

Can't let this one pass. If you judge a rider by results and whether goals are accomplished, Froome is a great rider. He is great at winning Grand Tours.

Moser was amazing, I will grant anyone that. But the days of anyone compiling a record like his are long gone.

We don't know if Froome would have thrived in that era -- I suspect not, but that doesn't matter. Likewise, would Moser have dominated today in the same way? Never, and if he did we'd all know the reason...

TRENDING THREADS